Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2023, 10:30 AM

840 posts, read 777,649 times

Advertisements

It isn’t a playoff, it is an invitational with no set rules….if it was a true playoff it would have been operated by the NCAA

This same scenario happened Once before…..there was a team that had been undefeated for 2 straight years (the first year they were the only undefeated team in the country), the franchise QB was injured in game 12 of year two. The backup led them to that victory plus the victory in the conference championship game……25 straight wins…….but the invitational committee ignored them.

So at the very least, the invitational committee was consistent…..lose a franchise QB, they don’t want you on their broadcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 12:39 PM

387 posts, read 352,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
It isn’t a playoff, it is an invitational with no set rules….if it was a true playoff it would have been operated by the NCAA

This same scenario happened Once before…..there was a team that had been undefeated for 2 straight years (the first year they were the only undefeated team in the country), the franchise QB was injured in game 12 of year two. The backup led them to that victory plus the victory in the conference championship game……25 straight wins…….but the invitational committee ignored them.

So at the very least, the invitational committee was consistent…..lose a franchise QB, they don’t want you on their broadcast.
UCF was ignored because they were a G5 team. Not because Milton was injured.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:55 AM

Well...not surprising but we have had a lot of players intent to enter the draft and skip the orange bowl. Couple that with the transfers and it is what it is. Was hoping even those that are entering the draft would play to prove a point, but at the same time can't fault them to play in by most accounts is a meaningless game. Verse, Wilson, Benson...ouch. Assuming Coleman and Fiske will do the same as well. Oh well...would have loved to see one more game out of this team. But such is the new face of college football.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:29 PM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
Well...not surprising but we have had a lot of players intent to enter the draft and skip the orange bowl. Couple that with the transfers and it is what it is. Was hoping even those that are entering the draft would play to prove a point, but at the same time can't fault them to play in by most accounts is a meaningless game. Verse, Wilson, Benson...ouch. Assuming Coleman and Fiske will do the same as well. Oh well...would have loved to see one more game out of this team. But such is the new face of college football.
I feel like this snub has become somewhat of a missed opportunity. Why no motivation to make a statement against Georgia with a full roster?

Just watching some of these low tier bowl games, it's obvious that they're still meaningful to the players and coaches. How much more an historic bowl game like the Orange Bowl in our home state against a national powerhouse? Granted we don't really know what's been going on behind the scenes, but why wasn't our staff able to motivate these guys to prove the committee wrong? I don't see that any Georgia players have opted out, and they really have nothing to prove either way. It's just a little bit disheartening. These are the kind of situations that try a man and prove his worth.

Old 12-21-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I feel like this snub has become somewhat of a missed opportunity. Why no motivation to make a statement against Georgia with a full roster?

Just watching some of these low tier bowl games, it's obvious that they're still meaningful to the players and coaches. How much more an historic bowl game like the Orange Bowl in our home state against a national powerhouse? Granted we don't really know what's been going on behind the scenes, but why wasn't our staff able to motivate these guys to prove the committee wrong? I don't see that any Georgia players have opted out, and they really have nothing to prove either way. It's just a little bit disheartening. These are the kind of situations that try a man and prove his worth.
I agree. Really could have been a chance to prove the committee and ESPN wrong. And with some luck even a way to screw the intentions of the system with a split national championship. But at the end of the day it is this...these players all bought in with the mindset of putting the work in. Do your part and it will happen. They did their part. And what they should have gotten for that was taken away from them. So now many look at it as a "why bother, look at what we did and have to show for it" instead of a way to continue the culture coach is trying to instill. Very disheartening.

Ironic...I have said all year this group was the epitome of team. But once they came across a situation they couldn't fix on the field, that was lost. Culture may not be there like many of us hoped. I would like to think if I was in that situation I would ride with my brothers one more time.

One one hand..could I fault them? I don't know. After seeing what happened to Travis, would I want to risk an injury in a "meaningless" game? (and yes, meaningless in quotes because even though it is not a CFP game, bowl games to me are not meaningless...especially when a matchup like this). I mean, potential for an undefeated season?? Bragging rights against UGA? Still major things to play for. But if my ultimate goal is to with a national championship and get to the NFL...and the championship is out but I am all but guaranteed to be in the NFL...why risk it? Again, I would think I would still play. I would also argue that even if the goal is the NFL, having the college degree to fall back on for my career should be enough...but that is another topic for another time.

Bottom line is this is chipping a way at the culture a bit as far as what we were thinking coach had built. Don't get me wrong, I think his principles are sound and I like what he stands for. But until you get complete buy in, this is going to happen. You could see the mindset though on the field. In the past when they fell behind they folded. Then they fell behind and fought. Then after the midway point last year they fell behind, fought and won. And that carried into this year. They had the mentality on the field. Just not off it.

But yes...somewhat surprising to not hear of any UGA opt outs. Maybe they are getting paid extra $$$ to play

Old 12-21-2023, 10:23 AM

FSU BoT meeting scheduled for tomorrow...might we get an announcement we are leaving? If not, discussions on the path forward are happening. Matter of if, not when.

Old 12-21-2023, 12:41 PM

840 posts, read 777,649 times
Quote:
UCF was ignored because they were a G5 team. Not because Milton was injured.
Incorrect, it gave the invitational committee the excuse they needed to ignore a team that passed the results test but failed the eye test due to the injury

Old 12-21-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Incorrect, it gave the invitational committee the excuse they needed to ignore a team that passed the results test but failed the eye test due to the injury
Believe that if you want, UCF was never going to be in the playoff even if Milton did not go down.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:12 PM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Believe that if you want, UCF was never going to be in the playoff even if Milton did not go down.
Just like I believe FSU would not have been in the playoff even if Travis hadn't been injured.

But to compare 2017 UCF to 2023 FSU is apples to oranges and there is no comparison. There is a distinction between P5 and G5 for a reason, and the schools are rightfully treated differently.

It's obvious that we now have P2 (SEC and Big Ten) and the rest. The 12 team playoff will be the same. 10 SEC/Big Ten teams with a couple of bones thrown to non-P2 schools.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:08 AM

165 posts, read 148,008 times
Quote:
FSU BoT meeting scheduled for tomorrow...might we get an announcement we are leaving? If not, discussions on the path forward are happening. Matter of if, not when.
I did see this article show up in my news feed tonight. Looks like they are initiating a departure.

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...-ripple-effect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football