Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 01:47 PM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The FSU universe cannot feel good about much of what transpired yesterday.

FSU gave scholarships to 58 players, yet 23 didn't honor their scholarships...shame on them (unless they were injured). They can't undo it.

They dishonored themselves, their teammates, their coaches, their fans, & their Football program...set a very bad example for those to follow.

It will take years for this bad memory to fade....the legacy Bobby Bowden built at FSU was dishonored by the opt-outs.

UGA won on the field and off...with integrity, & commitment to those round them. I'm proud of my Dawgs.

Kudos to the FSU players who honored their commitments. That 3rd string FSU QB especially...tough kid.
Absolutely agree here, and good for the Dawgs. They did nothing wrong and hopefully next seasons' playoff change will prevent such a good team from having a better chance of representing again. Those key players on that team, hope we see them with successful careers in the Pros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 06:50 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Congrats Michigan!! This had to be a heartbreaking loss for Saban.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:15 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Congrats Michigan!! This had to be a heartbreaking loss for Saban.
Incredible playoff-worthy QB play from Alabama, huh?

FSU even without Travis would have beaten Alabama or Michigan.

If Alabama needs a QB, I hear there's a tall, lanky kid from Valdosta in the transfer portal

Old 01-02-2024, 07:22 AM

387 posts, read 352,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

If Alabama needs a QB, I hear there's a tall, lanky kid from Valdosta in the transfer portal
Can't make this stuff up. Alabama QB with their 1's was no better than FSU 3rd string QB with mainly 3's. But we were left out because of our QB situation? What a joke. This proved it.

100% believe with Tate (or even Brock) with our full offense we would have performed as good if not better. So I find it amusing the committee's point was basically just proven wrong. But that is not how it will be spun.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:39 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
FSU with the 2024 version of Deion Sanders, Terrell Buckley, Peter Warrick, Warrick Dunn and Charlie Ward would have run these Alabama and Michigan teams off the field!

Old 01-02-2024, 07:40 AM

387 posts, read 352,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The FSU universe cannot feel good about much of what transpired yesterday.

FSU gave scholarships to 58 players, yet 23 didn't honor their scholarships...shame on them (unless they were injured). They can't undo it.

They dishonored themselves, their teammates, their coaches, their fans, & their Football program...set a very bad example for those to follow.

It will take years for this bad memory to fade....the legacy Bobby Bowden built at FSU was dishonored by the opt-outs.

UGA won on the field and off...with integrity, & commitment to those round them. I'm proud of my Dawgs.

Kudos to the FSU players who honored their commitments. That 3rd string FSU QB especially...tough kid.
That was an utter embarrassment on a variety of levels. No matter which way you paint it (players did not feel it was worth playing, were trying to make a statement, etc), it damaged much more than college football. They hung their brothers out to dry. It turned FSU into a laughing stock. Forget the optics around it, because in the history books the score doesn't say FSU was not full strength. So you hang these kids out to dry. Coaches have been trying to build their confidence and you let them get throttled by 60. How do you think that makes them feel? What point did you prove that wasn't already known?

While a forfeit/not playing would have better choice from an "optic" standpoint, I do applaud the guys who did stick. Deloach for example. And I credit the team for never giving a though to not playing. But the guys who opted out? I do hope you enjoyed watching that game and seeing the look on the players faces. It was not a good look.

Now...credit to UGA. I said all along they were probably the one team full strength that I would not have favored the 'Noles against. Talk about a well oiled team. Very impressed top to bottom. Coaches had them engaged and ready.

It's ironic. When opt-outs first started was around the time of the 2016 bowl season. Dalvin Cook was a SR and said no way was he not playing. And helped lead us to victory that game. Very said what happened.

On behalf of all 'Nole fans...I apologize for what we all witnessed Saturday night.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Yet the CFP committee felt AL was playoff worthy. Although GA lost by 3 points, they were the better team and should have made the playoffs.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
That was an utter embarrassment on a variety of levels. No matter which way you paint it (players did not feel it was worth playing, were trying to make a statement, etc), it damaged much more than college football. They hung their brothers out to dry. It turned FSU into a laughing stock. Forget the optics around it, because in the history books the score doesn't say FSU was not full strength. So you hang these kids out to dry. Coaches have been trying to build their confidence and you let them get throttled by 60. How do you think that makes them feel? What point did you prove that wasn't already known?

While a forfeit/not playing would have better choice from an "optic" standpoint, I do applaud the guys who did stick. Deloach for example. And I credit the team for never giving a though to not playing. But the guys who opted out? I do hope you enjoyed watching that game and seeing the look on the players faces. It was not a good look.

Now...credit to UGA. I said all along they were probably the one team full strength that I would not have favored the 'Noles against. Talk about a well oiled team. Very impressed top to bottom. Coaches had them engaged and ready.

It's ironic. When opt-outs first started was around the time of the 2016 bowl season. Dalvin Cook was a SR and said no way was he not playing. And helped lead us to victory that game. Very said what happened.

On behalf of all 'Nole fans...I apologize for what we all witnessed Saturday night.
It wasn't just FSU. Several teams had players that didn't play. A number of bowl games were a joke.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:39 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It wasn't just FSU. Several teams had players that didn't play.
To such a large-scale extent, it was in fact just FSU. No other team had even close to the scale of opt-outs as FSU.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
To such a large-scale extent, it was in fact just FSU. No other team had even close to the scale of opt-outs as FSU.
No other team experienced the large-scale omission by the CFP committee that FSU did either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football