Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,449,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. I thought he would have to leave Boise at the point of a gun. I guess they have incriminating photos of him or something.
I think he knew where he wanted to go. He's turned down a lot of offers the last 3-4.

BTW - TY for the rep and nice note from the B'ham thread

I'm excited for the PAC-12 next year

MSR

(UTAH UTE AND CRIMSON TIDE FAN)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,449,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He will probably make more at Washington than the jobs that he turned down paid.

I read he wasn't interviewed. He negotiated.
True. He may have interviewed a year ago or so. The only mtg. was about salary.

Part of what Coach Peterson who he is, is he knows what he wants in life. He doesn't go coach somewhere just for experience in a different conference.
I suspect he's maintained closer contacts with some Washington staff for quite a while.

Yes, BSU fans are struggling.

MSR

Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,461,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Honestly I'm surprised by this. No disrespect to Wasington, but he has turned down much better jobs(UCLA, USC, Texas A& M, Wisconsin, Stanford, Oregon) than Washington to stay at Bosie St. It's a great hire for Washington. I guess he really loves the Pacific NW.
To be clear, he did not turn down Oregon. In fact, he has never interviewed for Oregon. He was very interested in the Oregon job when both Chip and then Helfrich got the position, but was not given an interview. Many alumni wanted him to get an interview and it has always been believed his dream job was Oregon, but the chips never fell that way.

Great hire by UW though.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
This really makes me concerned about the state of the BSU program. Chris Petersen and the last QB really put this program on the national map. Before this, they were a program no one outside the local fanbase had heard of. He brought a program that probably had little notoriety and prominence to something that was talked about every year. Coaches like this don't come along very often and I don't see what he saw at Washington, a decent, but mediocre program with nothing to distinguish it.

Chris Petersen WAS the Boise State brand. Without him, I'm not sure the school will even be decent.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,775,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Honestly I'm surprised by this. No disrespect to Wasington, but he has turned down much better jobs(UCLA, USC, Texas A& M, Wisconsin, Stanford, Oregon) than Washington to stay at Bosie St. It's a great hire for Washington. I guess he really loves the Pacific NW.
Washington is historically a better job than some of those programs you listed. Washington for most of the last 50 years was the #2 program in the west behind USC.

Washington is a big money program, with the largest season ticket holder base in the west, that just built a new stadium and football facilities.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
To be clear, he did not turn down Oregon. In fact, he has never interviewed for Oregon. He was very interested in the Oregon job when both Chip and then Helfrich got the position, but was not given an interview. Many alumni wanted him to get an interview and it has always been believed his dream job was Oregon, but the chips never fell that way.

Great hire by UW though.

Mike Bellotti says Washington was always his dream job. His dad grew up a Husky fan in Seattle. CP spent time in Seattle as a kid visiting his grandparents.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Coaches like this don't come along very often and I don't see what he saw at Washington, a decent, but mediocre program with nothing to distinguish it.
You must be talking about a different Washington. Not that biggest money football program west of the Rockies Washington. Not the Washington that has won multiple national championships, the 2nd most Rose Bowls in the P12, and just built a palace of a football stadium in one of the most scenic locations on the planet.

My guess is you were thinking about Washington U. in St. Louis or George Washington Univ in DC.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:47 PM

426 posts, read 959,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't see what he saw at Washington, a decent, but mediocre program with nothing to distinguish it.
As opposed to the history-rich, former truck driving school that has only been playing at the FBS level for 17 years?

BSU is a cute story, with the Fiesta Bowl win, the blue turf, and a bunch of wins in the second-tier conferences (Big West, WAC, MWC) that they've been in.

UW is big boy football, BSU is not.

That's what he saw.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Cha-ching!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Looks like Boise may be trying to relive the past. ESPN is reporting they interviewed Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator (and former Boise State head coach) Dirk Koetter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football