Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times

Advertisements

I think it was a down year in the SEC. The arguable 2 best teams in the conference lost to an ACC team, and a Big 12 team. The SEC had a good run, but some of those wins were given based on reputation. Like when LSU played Bama in the 2012 national championship, I really would've liked to see what a healthy Big12 offense like Oklahoma State would've done against Bama in the 2012 championship ala what just happened to Bama against an 11th ranked Sooners team. LSU was lacking offensively compared to a Big12 team like OK State that year. And I still believe, had Colt McCoy not gotten injured in that freak injury in 2009, Texas would've beaten Bama, especially considering how well Garret Gilbert played well against that Bama defense. Heck, look at what ex-Big12 Texas A&M did in their 1st year in the SEC, when they beat Bama. Everyone was making all their usual "Welcome to the SEC, you won't survive" jokes, and Texas A&M and Mizzou came in from the Big12(and still recruited Big12 players) and dominated in the SEC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Heck, look at what ex-Big12 Texas A&M did in their 1st year in the SEC, when they beat Bama. Everyone was making all their usual "Welcome to the SEC, you won't survive" jokes, and Texas A&M and Mizzou came in from the Big12(and still recruited Big12 players) and dominated in the SEC.
They did not dominate. They lost.

How long until they are considered SEC teams and people like you just let it go? The SEC had a great run. Nothing can take that away.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They did not dominate. They lost.

How long until they are considered SEC teams and people like you just let it go? The SEC had a great run. Nothing can take that away.
I'm just saying, there were times where Big12 teams weren't even given a chance to compete in the national championship, just based on the SEC's reputation. I thought that wasn't fair. I thought Oklahoma State vs Bama, would've been a better game than LSU vs Bama re-match. And while dominated wasn't the right choice of words, Mizzou and Texas A&M HELD THEIR OWN in the SEC. Texas A&M beat Bama their 1st year, and then played em' close the 2nd year. For as much as people say the top teams in other conferences wouldn't hang in the SEC, alot of non-SEC teams have given the top SEC teams some close games, or have flat-out beaten them. The SEC had a great run, but I don't think they are leaps and bounds better than other conferences. Why should Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, or Tennessee feel any superior to anyone else, just because Nick Saban is a great coach.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,913 times
Quote:
I think it was a down year in the SEC. The arguable 2 best teams in the conference lost to an ACC team, and a Big 12 team. The SEC had a good run, but some of those wins were given based on reputation. Like when LSU played Bama in the 2012 national championship, I really would've liked to see what a healthy Big12 offense like Oklahoma State would've done against Bama in the 2012 championship ala what just happened to Bama against an 11th ranked Sooners team. LSU was lacking offensively compared to a Big12 team like OK State that year. And I still believe, had Colt McCoy not gotten injured in that freak injury in 2009, Texas would've beaten Bama, especially considering how well Garret Gilbert played well against that Bama defense. Heck, look at what ex-Big12 Texas A&M did in their 1st year in the SEC, when they beat Bama. Everyone was making all their usual "Welcome to the SEC, you won't survive" jokes, and Texas A&M and Mizzou came in from the Big12(and still recruited Big12 players) and dominated in the SEC.
I have absolutely no problem with Alabama being the national champion in 2011. They were the better team. They would have had a better chance of beating OSU than LSU would have, but all of that's in hind sight. At the time, people were moaning about Alabama, not LSU, getting the pass to the BCS title game, even though it was clear, once it was over, who the better team really was. OSU would have scored points and would have made it a better game, but Alabama's defense was ferocious that year, as was LSU's. People forget that the LSU and Bama did play a pretty good offense in Arkansas and both teams shut the Razorbacks down. Granted, it's not the pistol, but it's a spread and a mix of run-pass and typically leans more toward pass. I feel confident LSU and certainly Alabama would have beaten OSU or anyone else that year. LSU had already faced stiff offenses and held them both to season lows in terms of points, IIRC.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Finally, an SEC team loses the big one. Ironically, it was in one of the better years for the conference in terms of the entire conference in bowl games. Such is life.

But clearly, Florida State is the undisputed national champion. No questions asked. They clearly showed that they can hang tight in games that aren't blow-outs. Very impressive the way that their defense put the clamps down on Auburn.

Auburn had a solid year. Personally, I think they took advantage of a weaker conference, with Alabama and LSU having sent a ton of starters to the NFL over the past two years, but college football is college football - they coulda' said the same thing after the 2010 campaign, when they lost Nick Fairley and Cam Newton.

A post-script to this: Big Boy football still reigns supreme over the gimmickry of the pistol and read-option - at least for another year. The irony is that Florida St. played big boy ball and Auburn played gimmick ball.

Next year oughtta be way awesome. Imagine if Michigan St. and Alabama had been in this thing.
Do you ever write anything that makes sense? You do understand the game, don't you? If you did, you'd know that gimmick offenses rely on gimmick plays, such as flanker reverses and halfback passes and fumblerooskies and hook-and-ladders. Don't recall any of those plays last night. Seems like a very large proportion of the play calling on Auburn's part this season was b-flat offense, skillfully executed. Because you don't ring up 300 rushing yards on Bama and 550 on Missouri with a gimmick offense. By trying to tag Auburn with the 'gimmick' moniker, you pretty much forfeit any pretensions to knowledge of the sport.

While Auburn's offense does have some finesse in terms of misdirection, it is very much a power running scheme dependent on a very strong offensive line. It actually is a variation on the Delaware Wing-T, an offensive scheme that has been around a long time. And, being an Alabama fan, you better get used to it. Because the majority of this offense will be back next year, with even more players on the way.

Back to the game. Congrats to FSU, who made their adjustments and made the clutch plays when it was needed. Hope to see you in next year's championship game.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,913 times
Quote:
I'm just saying, there were times where Big12 teams weren't even given a chance to compete in the national championship, just based on the SEC's reputation. I thought that wasn't fair. I thought Oklahoma State vs Bama, would've been a better game than LSU vs Bama re-match. And while dominated wasn't the right choice of words, these 2 Big12 HELD THEIR OWN in the SEC. Texas A&M beat Bama their 1st year, and then played em' close the 2nd year. For as much as people say the top teams in other conferences wouldn't hang in the SEC, alot of non-SEC teams have given the top SEC teams some close games, or have flat-out beaten them. The SEC had a great run, but I don't think they are leaps and bounds better than other conferences. Why should Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, or Tennessee feel any superior to anyone else, just because Nick Saban is a great coach.
A&M last year wasn't the same as A&M the year before. Two totally different coaching staffs, two totally different philosophies, and one Johnny Manziel - may as well be comparing oranges and apples.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,246 times
From a big Hurricanes fan, congratulations to FSU and their fans.

5th FL team to win the BCS since 1999.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with Alabama being the national champion in 2011. They were the better team. They would have had a better chance of beating OSU than LSU would have, but all of that's in hind sight. At the time, people were moaning about Alabama, not LSU, getting the pass to the BCS title game, even though it was clear, once it was over, who the better team really was. OSU would have scored points and would have made it a better game, but Alabama's defense was ferocious that year, as was LSU's. People forget that the LSU and Bama did play a pretty good offense in Arkansas and both teams shut the Razorbacks down. Granted, it's not the pistol, but it's a spread and a mix of run-pass and typically leans more toward pass. I feel confident LSU and certainly Alabama would have beaten OSU or anyone else that year. LSU had already faced stiff offenses and held them both to season lows in terms of points, IIRC.
Yeah, I meant it should've been LSU vs Ok State. I think that OK State team with Blackmon, would've been as good an offense as LSU would have faced all-season. But OK State didn't even get a chance to play in the Big Game.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
A&M last year wasn't the same as A&M the year before. Two totally different coaching staffs, two totally different philosophies, and one Johnny Manziel - may as well be comparing oranges and apples.
Johnny Manziel's a Big12 QB through and through. He wanted to play for Texas, but Mack in his last years was slacking in the recruiting department.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM

293 posts, read 469,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
From a big Hurricanes fan, congratulations to FSU and their fans.

5th FL team to win the BCS since 1999.
Thank you Jack. Hope the U bounces back next year. Golden is a great coach and breath of fresh air in Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football