Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/755517505179791364
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Schools being mentioned in the rumor mill are Cincinnati, BYU, Boise State and Memphis.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:40 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Boise just doesn't draw well because of their very small population, but I'd sure love to see them in a real conference. Didn't take TCU long to be a real threat when they joined the Big 12.

From a purely competitive standpoint I'd take Boise and BYU. Not the greatest as far as numbers, but you do get two additional markets, albeit smaller ones.

Basically that's what you're looking at here. Two teams from small markets that add to your conference strength of schedule, or two teams that maybe don't have as good of a track record on the field, but have a much larger market...

Old 07-20-2016, 03:51 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Boise just doesn't draw well because of their very small population, but I'd sure love to see them in a real conference. Didn't take TCU long to be a real threat when they joined the Big 12.

From a purely competitive standpoint I'd take Boise and BYU. Not the greatest as far as numbers, but you do get two additional markets, albeit smaller ones.

Basically that's what you're looking at here. Two teams from small markets that add to your conference strength of schedule, or two teams that maybe don't have as good of a track record on the field, but have a much larger market...
Boise State should join the Pac-12 and Colorado should go back to the Big-12.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Boise State should join the Pac-12 and Colorado should go back to the Big-12.
No way. Both schools are mediocre sports programs (though CU is actually a good academic school whereas BSU is well, not), but Boulder is a heck of a lot better place to visit. Boise- yuck.

I can see the Big 12 going after Houston. No idea who else though. I just wish UT, OU, OSU, Tech would just come on over to the good ol' Pac 12.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:52 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
There are as many rumors on the internet as there are blades of grass in Central Park. You really gonna go and examine each one?

Here is the best most logical breakdown of all potential candidates.

https://frankthetank.me/2013/10/30/t...-its-all-over/

Long story short, headliners are Cincy and BYU. Tulane is an interesting mention though.

My inkling is that if BYU was such a slam dunk then they would be in by now.

Criteria is nebulous but I think the two most important factors are new markets and recruiting territory, balanced with distance from existing schools.

Considering this, I would go with Cincy and Memphis due to the above mentioned criteria. Plus it is on record that FedEX would front some serious money to Memphis and the future Big 12 championship game if they let the Tigers in.

Memphis-based FedEx wants to sponsor a Big 12 Championship ... if the conference adds the Tigers - SBNation.com

Old 07-21-2016, 02:35 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Heres another breakdown..

Ranking 8 candidates for Big 12 expansion by what the conference says it wants - SBNation.com

Basically, its BYU and then everyone else..

Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
While BYU is undoubtedly the best overall candidate for expansion, but the location has me concerned. I'm a fan of adding Cincinnati and Memphis because of geography (disclaimer: I'm a Mountaineer fan), and I think that both of those schools bring more to the table combined than BYU plus another school. Memphis is going to come along with a great contract from Fedex that will propel Big 12 sports and revenues, while Cincy brings a great tradition, larger TV market, and a rival for WVU. Cincy has been relatively solid in football for the last decade (2 BCS appearances) and their basketball team will fit in well with the quality we already have. Memphis has developed a strong and consistent football program in recent years, and their basketball program is also solid and will fit in well. The value of both of those schools and the position they have in bringing the conference "closer" in my opionion is more valuable than if the Big 12 added BYU plus one of these two or any of the other candidates. Now if the Big 12 went to 14, then by all means bring BYU in, and then the 14th could be Colorado State.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
If they're going to effectively be called the Big 12, then it only makes sense for them to have twelve teams. I can see Cincinnati and Boise State coming into the conference to give more diversity to it. Cincinnati's location within a reasonable proximity to West Virginia would be ideal.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
If they're going to effectively be called the Big 12, then it only makes sense for them to have twelve teams. I can see Cincinnati and Boise State coming into the conference to give more diversity to it. Cincinnati's location within a reasonable proximity to West Virginia would be ideal.
The Big 10 has 12 schools... Hopefully Boise State isn't added. Decent football team every now and then, but a terrible school. Not sure any of their other athletic programs bring anything to the table either..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football