Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:57 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times

Advertisements

after all the bowls (bar the CFP)

this would be my top 10

1 and 2 , winner/loser of Bama/ Clemson
3 Oklahoma
4 Ohio st
5 N Dame (BS schedule but only one loss)
6 Georgia
7 LSU
8 Fla
9 UCF
10 kentucky

SEC has 5 of the top 10, proving its dominance once again

The Irish only get # 5 because of a one loss V 3 losses for Ga, Fla and LSU but realistically if they were in the SEC i see 3-4 losses and no top 10

Thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Ohio State is too high, they beat a weak looking Washington team by one touch down. ND is too high as well after a sound pounding by Clemson. UCF is too high as well. Texas is the one I see missing in your ranking. They beat OU in reg season and Georgia two of your top 6 teams but lost to Maryland and OSU as well as OU in championship game of Big 12. Georgia is too high as well after losing to Texas. Id put Texas above Georgia and behind OU.

I believe final ranking should reflect more how the team is playing now vs its overall season. So I agree with your 1 and 2 and 3. Id put Texas 4 LSU 5, Fla 6, then Georgia seven, LSU 8, ND 9 and Ky 10.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:47 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I’d put Texas 10th with Georgia 11th. OU 5th.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

this would be my top 10

3 Oklahoma
4 Ohio st
6 Georgia
7 LSU
8 Fla
9 UCF
10 kentucky

The Irish only get # 5 because of a one loss V 3 losses for Ga, Fla and LSU but realistically if they were in the SEC i see 3-4 losses and no top 10

Thoughts ?

Notre Dame was pantsed. No way they're a Top Ten team, regardless of what their record was. They would have been a mid-level SEC team.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:39 PM

433 posts, read 287,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

this would be my top 10

3 Oklahoma
4 Ohio st
6 Georgia
7 LSU
8 Fla
9 UCF
10 kentucky

Thoughts ?
I agree with essentially all of your top 10 and your take on the SEC. The only thing I would change is knock UCF anywhere from 12 to 15. Also, I think Georgia is very very good and don't think they gave a very good effort against Texas. I would switch with Notre Dame. I would also consider putting Texas A&M and perhaps Washington in front of Kentucky. Your list is good thought, hard to make a strong argument against.

On another note, in both Georgia vs Alabama games, this year and last, I think Alabama only lead a total of nine plays. That's both games.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I’d put Texas 10th with Georgia 11th. OU 5th.
In my opinion, the only teams capable of giving Alabama a game would be Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma. I think that's Alabama's weakness, if they have one, is playing a team that passes first. Ohio State unfortunately played down to the competition but they have alot of skill players, something that's hard to stop.

Georgia didn't take Texas seriously. Plus, they were missing some of their best players. Fromm is a very good QB and is not a game manager as some of the pundits like to say. That's why Georgia almost beat Alabama the past two times they played. I do like Texas's QB, Sam gets better each year.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Texas was missing its best DB, so that excuse means nothing.
Georgia was fired up to prove they belonged in the playoff and came out to play smash mouth football. But they got their dismissive butts kicked and didn’t know how to handle it. The first Texas drive illustrates it plainly. Outcoached & outplayed.

Texas won’t be on the Bama- Clemson level for a couple of years. Plus the Horns need to stop losing to the likes of Maryland.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:25 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Georgia was fired up to prove they belonged in the playoff and came out to play smash mouth football. But they got their dismissive butts kicked and didn’t know how to handle it. The first Texas drive illustrates it plainly. Outcoached & outplayed.

Texas won’t be on the Bama- Clemson level for a couple of years. Plus the Horns need to stop losing to the likes of Maryland.
And the Horns are losing a lot of defenders this year.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I wouldn't put Texas in the top 10. They got a huge win over Georgia, but as we say in the state of Texas - they 'squirreled' out of a lot of games by a single score or less. A lot. Heck even the Georgia win was by less than a single score. At first I was scratching my head at how they sneaked into a New Years bowl game with 4 losses, but then again I remembered that this is UT, and we all know how these things work wink wink! They were easily the best team in the state, but other than that come on.

It's hard to judge UCF because the system is rigged against all G5. It's kind of a circular-dependency type of thing - on the one hand the talking heads say UCF needs to prove themselves by strength of schedule. But realistically that is not possible. It's just hard to tell unless we have a legitimate playoff instead of popularity contests.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I completely disagree that Georgia was fired up. They were actually down as they were so close to making it into the playoffs. They were up on Alabama by 14 points in the third quarter and they let it get away. No, they definitely were not psyched up for the game. It was a big let down for them.

As far as UCF, even if they would have beaten LSU, a team with half it's players missing, it takes more than playing one good team per year. If you want to be considered for the playoffs then you have to play some big boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football