Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM

629 posts, read 771,941 times

Advertisements

Gore, Mcgahee, Portis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 AM

629 posts, read 771,941 times
Miami won the NC in 2001 and lost the next year to the buck Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Didnt Ohio St beat them?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Is this really just about what guys panned out in the pros vs who didn't... the 2001 Miami Hurricanes roster had only one 1000+ yard rusher (Portis), 500 yard rusher (Gore), 300 yard rusher (McGahee), and Davenport only had 50 yards. None of the 3 backs (since Davenport was a nonfactor) averaged more than 5.5 yards per carry. Total yardage: 2130 yards on 372 attempts = 5.72 yards per carry

For comparison sakes... 2011 GT roster...
Tevin Washington - 986 yards - 4.1 YPC
David Sims - 698 - 5.2 YPC
Orwin Smith - 615 - 10.1 YPC
Embry Peeples - 481 - 10.2 YPC
Roddy Jones - 458 - 8 YPC
Preston Lyons - 340 - 6 YPC
Total yardage: 3578 yards on 600 attempts = 5.96 yards per carry

Almost all the backs averaged more YPC than any of the 2001 Miami backs. Sure, most of these guys will never play on Sunday but statiscally they played better in college and set the record for highest yards per carry average in a game (together - 12.1 against Kansas 9/17/11).

Is this my choice for best backfield in college football history? No. Just showing that although 2001 Miami guys have had successful NFL careers (and 3 of them had good NCAA careers just not really at the same time), they weren't as solid as other comparables.

My pick would probably be the 2005-07 Arkansas Razerbacks trio (McFadden, Jones, and Hillis). They posted big numbers while playing against strong SEC defenses.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,551 times
Blanchard was Mr. Inside (although he could take anywhere) and Davis was Mr. Outside. I agree with your vote even though we did have our pick of the best players during those years. Both were superb athletes.

"Class of 45"

Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
The 2001 Miami team had the best RB tandem ever. Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, and Najeh Davenport all on the roster at once.

As for the Ohio State guy, you beat a lesser Miami team in 2002. 3 of those 4 RB's were gone from the program by then. Also, you were handed the game by the refs.

I am an FSU fan, who hates Miami, but the facts are facts.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicjoc1 View Post
Blanchard was Mr. Inside (although he could take anywhere) and Davis was Mr. Outside. I agree with your vote even though we did have our pick of the best players during those years. Both were superb athletes.

"Class of 45"
I agree with you 100%, in my mind there is no backfield better then Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside, Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard!!

I had posted that on page 5. Heck both backs won Heisman trophies!!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
I just finished reading this entire thread from start to finish. All you guys are good. VERY good. I never realized what outstanding college backfields have came out of college. Very interesting.

I'd give reps to the OP, but he has apparently been kicked off the site. Must have been a bad boy.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 PM

170 posts, read 347,658 times
I think you would have to consider the McFadden/Jones combo, White/Allen, and Sanders/Thomas, even though I'm not sure how much Sanders and Thomas actually played together. I saw the McFadden/Jones combo when they came to Knoxville. Even though Jones got hurt and McFadden was pretty much held in check you could tell both were the real deal. However, I also saw Cadillac and Ronnie Brown in Knoxville and I have to say I think they were better. The argument could be made for all the above. And yes you could throw in the USC and MIA combos. The one combo I think folks have forgotten about is Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson.

Perhaps these guys might not belong on the list, but being a Vols fan I think they are vastly under-rated.

1) Chuck Webb/Reggie Cobb ( the "Cobbwebb")
2) Jamal Lewis/Travis Henry

Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
I think you would have to consider the McFadden/Jones combo, White/Allen, and Sanders/Thomas, even though I'm not sure how much Sanders and Thomas actually played together. I saw the McFadden/Jones combo when they came to Knoxville. Even though Jones got hurt and McFadden was pretty much held in check you could tell both were the real deal. However, I also saw Cadillac and Ronnie Brown in Knoxville and I have to say I think they were better. The argument could be made for all the above. And yes you could throw in the USC and MIA combos. The one combo I think folks have forgotten about is Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson.

Perhaps these guys might not belong on the list, but being a Vols fan I think they are vastly under-rated.

1) Chuck Webb/Reggie Cobb ( the "Cobbwebb")
2) Jamal Lewis/Travis Henry

As big a Vol Fan as I am...

Not sure Webb and Cobb belong on this list. Neither had a prolific college career. Webb only had one great season (5.9 avg) because of his injury. He was completely awesome dont get me wrong. And had he not gotten hurt against Pacific would probably have been one of the best college backs ever. But having an actual career or showing sustainability needs to be part of the criteria. Webb owns the Vols 7th best single season rushing yards record (but is not even in the top 20 for career yards). Same goes for Cobb but not as bad. Cobb had 1197 yards as a freshman but only 2360 for his entire career. But he's atleast in the top ten career yards. And because he was able to be healthy he was able to be drafted higher than Webb and had a longer NFL career (7 seaons compared to 2). Cobb's only problem in college was the drugs.

As for Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry... They are good for the list. I would add Travis Stephens and Shawn Bryson to that group. Making 4 NFL players in the backfield. All 4 played together from '97 -'98 and on the National Championship team and all 4 played in the NFL. Bryson was gon after '98. So Stephens, Lewis, and Henry played together '97 -'99. Stephens didnt get a shot really til Lewis and Henry they were gone... but he was an 1st AP All-American when he did and owns record for the Vols single season rushing yards with 1464 yards. He had the shortest lived NFL career as well, lasting only 1 season. The other 3 were 8+ years... But that's still impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football