Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times

Advertisements

I would love to see a NCAA team play a NFL team at least once a year,even if its an exibition type game, I think its been done in the NCAA/NBA before with the Knicks and UMASS but I could be wrong.

Who do you think would win, OU is scoring major points right now, I think it would be close and OU could pull out a win, possibly over a few NFL teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Detroit Kitty Cats are too cute, they'd get blown out!!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
I don't know if it would happen, its really hard to say. Its easy to see Oklahoma, Florida, or Texas as being super strong, and Detroit as being super weak. But when you switch levels, its a completely different situation. There are hundreds of colleges across the country, and a few dozen that have big athletic programs. Out of all of the colleges, less than 1 in 10 players will even make the roster of an NFL team. The number of average to slightly above average players in college that simply are not good enough to step on an NFL field is very high. Most of OU and Florida's players this year will never play in the NFL, a few will get picked up, and out of those few, at least some of those will be cut.

That being said, being a down and out team with a losing mindset might be enough to cause Detroit to blow it.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
The current Lions roster at full strength would knock off Oklahoma on a neutral field. If they played in Norman, it could be very, very close.

I think Mr. Boomerang sums it up best. There are only a handful of players on the Sooners roster who will ever play a snap in the NFL. Sure, former Lion busts like Joey Harrington and Mike Williams look pathetic in the NFL; but they were great college players. While the current Lions roster is inept against other NFL teams, they were all at least average players in college, some much more than average. The Lions are a bad team; but they are not so bad they couldn't beat a high ranked college team. THe only way OU or any high ranked college team would beat the Lions is if the college team was at home, and played out of their minds if you know what I mean.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
I know the Lions are the weak team of the NFL right now. However, I think they'd kick Oklahoma's butt all over the field.

There is an enormous difference between the level of play at college and pro. I don't think most of the college players have any idea how hard the pros hit.

Of course, Oklahoma has their mojo right now.

Even so, I'm going with the Lions in a big way.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
It wouldn't even be close. The Lions would score at will and the final score would be something like 68-3. No college team comes anywhere near the combination of strength, size, speed, or precision found in ANY NFL team. An NFL team is made not only of the top college players, but mostly players who have a couple seasons worth of development within the NFL. Players who have made the cut at training camp, learned the ropes, and had the chance to play against other NFL-level opponents.

Oklahoma would get badly crushed. Florida would get badly crushed. The 2001 Miami Hurricanes would get demolished. It would not be competitive at all. At no point save for the early parts of the 1st quarter would the game even be close. Look for the college QB to be violently sacked on every other play. He'd probably have to be carted off the field before the half.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It wouldn't even be close. The Lions would score at will and the final score would be something like 68-3. No college team comes anywhere near the combination of strength, size, speed, or precision found in ANY NFL team. An NFL team is made not only of the top college players, but mostly players who have a couple seasons worth of development within the NFL. Players who have made the cut at training camp, learned the ropes, and had the chance to play against other NFL-level opponents.

Oklahoma would get badly crushed. Florida would get badly crushed. The 2001 Miami Hurricanes would get demolished. It would not be competitive at all. At no point save for the early parts of the 1st quarter would the game even be close. Look for the college QB to be violently sacked on every other play. He'd probably have to be carted off the field before the half.
So then... what's your opinion?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
you really think the the 01 hurricanes would lose

I mean they have portis, gore, bryant mckinnie, andre johnson, ed reed, philip buchanon, mike rumph, vilma, jeremy shockey, and sean taylor (rest in peace), and they all are in the NFL right no?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
The 2001 'Canes produced some players who later flourished in the NFL, but at the time, they were still just college kids. Any pro team would have dismantled them.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Tablemtn, you have some more rep points for your smart replies. This game would be over in the first quarter with Detroit being up by 3 or 4 touchdowns. Ask yourself this, "What plays can Oklahoma run that Detroit has never seen before?" now ask "What can Detroit do (both offensive and defensive) that would put OU at an disadvantage? Who on OU can stop Calvin Johnson? Detroits defensive unit would try to hold OU to less than 5 first downs for the entire game, their special teams would block a few punts and would return punts for touchdowns with ease. OU offensive and defensive lines will get blown up easily by bigger, stronger, smarter, more disciplined players. Think about this, college guys love to go for it on 4th down, will they succeed? At best OU will forever start the drive at their own 20 and they'll get pushed back because the undisciplined college kid would be too concerned about this pro beating him that he'll get a false start penalty on him. OU's recievers would get jammed and lets not forget about the speed that NFL DB's have when they close out on a reciever; the college kid QB wouldn't realize that he has a (very) small window of opportunity and when he starts to realize that he'll rush throws and get happy feet. On the pro side of things Culpepper may have 5 to 10 seconds to hold the ball and will just pick OU apart and if some little DB actually get to Daunte they'll just bounce off of him and stay down. What have we learned? OU will have constant pressure from a team going half speed, OU's offense and defense will make too many mitakes because they're overmatched, OU will have terrible field position for the entire game, OU will have too many turnovers, Calvin Johnson, complex NFL schemes, college kids vs NFL PROS. Oklahoma has a small chance if Detroit agree to let the 2nd team special teams guys play both sides of the ball with no substitutions with the center playong quarterback and Marinelli playing RB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football