Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM

612 posts, read 1,843,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
Hello!?! Seriously, there is NO WAY a college team beats an NFL on any field, home, neutral, whatever. It's fun to speculate about it, but your living in a fantasy world if you think a college team would even hang with the worst of NFL teams in a game. Even a super-college-all star team with Miami-FSU-USC-Ohio St players would get crushed by an NFL squad.

Size, speed, conditioning, maturity, football IQ. You can't fake it in the NFL, you can fake it through college.
Quote:
I quoted you, then agreed with you. If you need me to explain it, I'd be happy to PM you.
The way you replied kind of showed that you were disagreeing with him. Kind of confused me too because both of you said that there is no way in hell that an NFL team can lose to a NCAA team. Just funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM

745 posts, read 1,297,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
The way you replied kind of showed that you were disagreeing with him. Kind of confused me too because both of you said that there is no way in hell that an NFL team can lose to a NCAA team. Just funny.
The Hello!?! was directed at the rest of the posters. It took 20+ posts before someone pointed out that there is no way in hell a college team would beat an NFL team.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
i think something that is being overlooked here is team continuity (which obviously oklahoma has) and detroit has NEVER had. at least since 1959...even with barry sanders they had problems in the locker room. that's why he retired early.

i think the sooners play as One unit where the Lions play all scattered. I think that is a factor as is team morale.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
The Hello!?! was directed at the rest of the posters. It took 20+ posts before someone pointed out that there is no way in hell a college team would beat an NFL team.
ummmmm, go back and read posts 3,4,5,6, and 10.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I would love to see a NCAA team play a NFL team at least once a year,even if its an exibition type game, I think its been done in the NCAA/NBA before with the Knicks and UMASS but I could be wrong.

Who do you think would win, OU is scoring major points right now, I think it would be close and OU could pull out a win, possibly over a few NFL teams.
There has been much speculation over very similar match-ups for much of the history of the game.

I think that the best way to make the Detroit Lions look like an all-star club would be to match them against any college team or even the All-America team.

This argument has actually been settled before and I think that the same holds true today. Take a gander...

Giants vs Notre Dame (http://pages.prodigy.net/revmoran/giantsnd/Giants_vs_Notre_Dame_page1.htm - broken link)

Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
i think something that is being overlooked here is team continuity (which obviously oklahoma has) and detroit has NEVER had. at least since 1959...even with barry sanders they had problems in the locker room. that's why he retired early.

i think the sooners play as One unit where the Lions play all scattered. I think that is a factor as is team morale.
Continuity and morale might dip a bit when the line on each side started getting dominated by better players.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:39 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
ummmmm, go back and read posts 3,4,5,6, and 10.
Duly noted. However, those posts are a little too soft. It wouldn't even be a contest and those posts suggest the Lions would "knock off" Oklahoma, or OU could possibly win on their home field. Phrases like "no way in hell" and "ass kicking" or "OU would get f---ed up" are more realistic.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:29 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Gotta love this classic pose...

http://pages.prodigy.net/revmoran/giantsnd/NYG%201.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
maybe the Detroit Lions should play (and beat) the Texas Longhorns.

That would give them a win over Texas and they would accomplish something the Oklahoma Sooners were unable to

Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Duly noted. However, those posts are a little too soft. It wouldn't even be a contest and those posts suggest the Lions would "knock off" Oklahoma, or OU could possibly win on their home field. Phrases like "no way in hell" and "ass kicking" or "OU would get f---ed up" are more realistic.
I was just trying to give the doubters a visual image of this thing. I should have just came out and said that Detroit would score score three touchdowns per quarter when playing an average game and OU would only get 5 first downs max. The score would be 86 (12 TDs + safety) to 0 and that's Detroit's average game. I would think that's an a** kicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football