Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
I think no one is discouraging someone from graduating from high school.
What defines a late bloomer? Students that get Cs in High School, and then attend a non-competitive garbage college where they get As (competing against the other former C students), and think they are now "late bloomers".
Here is the OP in an entire thread about "making high school opitional". I have seen many such posts on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
It's clear that we have enormous swaths of society where neither parents nor students give a damn about education. So I have an idea. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here goes...

If a student hasn't demonstrated the aptitude or will to continue beyond 8th grade, why thrust him into high school? Instead, I propose that these individuals be directed to trade schools, job training programs, or public service programs. We would need fewer high schools and the ones that remain could be restored to places of learning.

Students who earn poor grades but otherwise put forth an honest effort and are non-disruptive should be admitted to high school on a probationary basis, with focused tutoring and mentoring. They likely have the character to succeed and we definitely want to keep these kids in the game. I'd even say that the schools should be signficantly rated on how well these children progress, just to keep them from being treated like ignored, unwanted baggage. They would be just as worthy (if not moreso) as the honor students, as long as they demonstrate the will and capacity.

BUT, not everyone has the brains, will, or moral support structure needed to successfully complete high school. Why can't we accept this and cut our losses? Why must we continue to pass just about everyone right through 12th grade? We already have too many HS grads (and college students) who can't even spell skool and it's a very bad return on investment.

Make high school an earned PRIVILEDGE and a reward for work and performance.

Oh, and since we'd need fewer high schools, funding would become available to build more jails, as needed.
A "late bloomer" can be someone like my niece, who had a crappy GPA until senior year in HS, but great SATs. She couln't get in to the University of OK as an in-state student due to the disparity. She went to another college for a year, then transferred to OU, got her BA. She has now gotten a second bachelors degree from the University of Colorado. This is just one example; there are lots more.

There is some research that a lot of males don't really "apply" themselves until later in high school. A friend of my daughter's got very passionate about business education when he joined the DECA late in high school. Up until then, his grades were just mediocre. Another example of a "late bloomer"; last I knew he was in college studying to be a business teacher. Another one of many.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
I was the OP not Thomas Thumb. I would never propose making high school optional.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Some quotes from Art Center College of Design graduates on a popular college review site:

"I absolutely think that Art Center College of Design was detrimental in getting me the skills and education I needed to obtain the job I wanted after college. In this poor economy, I am happy to say that the broadcast design field doesn't seem to be slowing down at all. "

Umm...I think you meant "instrumental" not "detrimental".

"2. I wish I would have known how to navigate through the corporate latter and its politics much better than I did upon my graduation."

Wow...just wow.
And there are those who insist that college hasn't been "dumbed-down"...

For many schools, the only admissions requirements are:

Do you have a pulse?

Do you have the check in hand?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 AM

436 posts, read 756,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I was the OP not Thomas Thumb. I would never propose making high school optional.
Nor did I. I never proposed making high school optional.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
I was responding to a post that said "I think no one is discouraging someone from graduating from high school". People have stated that. I just quoted the OP from one thread about this; there have been more.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A "late bloomer" can be someone like my niece, who had a crappy GPA until senior year in HS, but great SATs. She couln't get in to the University of OK as an in-state student due to the disparity. She went to another college for a year, then transferred to OU, got her BA. She has now gotten a second bachelors degree from the University of Colorado. This is just one example; there are lots more.
There are overwhelming more examples of "never bloomers" than true "late bloomers". And from my experience, most people who call themselves "late bloomers" often have a problem between absolute vs. relative measurements.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
There are overwhelming more examples of "never bloomers" than true "late bloomers". And from my experience, most people who call themselves "late bloomers" often have a problem between absolute vs. relative measurements.
As a late bloomer, myeself, can I ask you to clarify this?

I graduated from high school barely *** made it. I had a GPA of 1.67. I didn't go right to college because I did not believe I was college material. At 25, a really bad job convinced me I had to do something so I went to a community college intent on getting some kind of certificate that would enable me to get a better job. My tests came back with the words "minimum degree recommendation - PhD" on the bottom below a list of heady titles for potential careers.

I struggled through high school. College was a cake walk. While I'm sure being an older student helped, it does not explain the entire jump I made between high school and college. Something was very different about me when I went to college. Things that never made sense before were now simple.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,833 times
Quote:
I do think that the "lesser" people should be given a chance at collegiate success, but if they can't hack it then they should be weeded out. Standards should not be lowered for them. For example, my high school grades are atrocious because I didn't care. My university grades were very good (in the classes that I cared about that is). My mother also had terrible high school grades and has since graduated college with a 3.95 GPA and she has a CPA license.

But, admittedly we are anomalies. You are correct in your assertion that most early screw-ups are "never bloomers" who just do not possess the innate intellectual ability to succeed at the university level.

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 08-25-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Under your plan, almost everyone would get at least a BA/BS, and many would get a master's degree..
About a quarter of all Americans don't even keep up their grades well enough to get a high school diploma.

If everyone was as well educated as they were capable of, if every voter in the elections was able to read and understand about public issues and think about them analytically and logically and critically, if everyone had been taught to see through the machinations of the propagandists, the only people who would think that was a bad idea would be those who seek to enslave us with lies and control us under tyranny. Only those who see human beings as natural resources to be exploited for their own profit, human beings who have no intellectual usefulness but to blindly obey commands. Is that you?

We have ten million unemployed. Pay them all a living wage (which we have to do anyway, one way or another), and send them back to school, to continue to learn from whatever level they are at now. There are a million of those who could, at no additional cost, serve as the teachers. Didn't I mention this before? Why do you think that would cost so much money? Or somehow damage the fabric of what you see as America's precious widget-making society, not to be tampered with?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-25-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
And from my experience, most people who call themselves "late bloomers" often have a problem between absolute vs. relative measurements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
As a late bloomer, myeself, can I ask you to clarify this?
There are a lot of C students from high school, who go to a low-tier college and graduate doing well compared to the rest of their class. They may appear relatively brighter than the other kids at that college, but out in the absolute reality of all things, they still lack in the "knowledge" department. Again, there should be some expectations for college students and graduates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
But, admittedly we are anomalies. You are correct in your assertion that most early screw-ups are "never bloomers" who just do not possess the innate intellectual ability to succeed at the university level.
Yes, there are always anomalies, and I do not doubt that there are indeed a few "late bloomers". But, most people usually don't change over night. I am not saying that you are not a late bloomer But I have known many self-proclaimed "late bloomers" who made the transition from "average" high school student to crappy college all-star. When I was in college, I use to tutor college kids from a local crappy college. I was shocked when I had to go over their material or their tests. Yes folks, the student body and curve make a huge difference in how college professors write up their tests.

And people... No one has a problem with promoting education.
If you want to pick up a new foreign language, I encourage you to pick up a new book, try to make some new friends, and learn away.
If you do yoga everyday, and you become interested in the branches of yoga philosophy behind the stretches, go ahead and learn away.

But this is something entirely different from saying...

"Listen to what everyone says.
<I am a robot>
College is good for you.
<beep... beep... Attempting reboot #init 6>
If you go to college, you will make more money and will always the best financial decision.
<does not compute with sheep personality... beep..>
College will somehow dramatically increased my IQ."
<fixing... # find . -name college -exec rm {} \;>

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities