Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times

Advertisements

Knowledge for the sake of knowledge. That is why the liberal arts degree originally existed. Enhanced literacy for the sheer joy of knowledge and self improvement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 PM

3,300 posts, read 9,193,012 times
Quote:
Knowledge for the sake of knowledge. That is why the liberal arts degree originally existed. Enhanced literacy for the sheer joy of knowledge and self improvement
Wish we could afford that luxury now. Liz

Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,379,820 times
I agree with the other posters, but there is more. I thoroughly enjoyed the learning process. I got my job because of the specialzed degree and it also gave me the opportunity to teach. I started my doctorate, yet realized it wasn't the right time for me. In today's world a masters is a necessity.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 34,707 times
i wanted to go back to school and finish my BA in physical therapy,except that now you can't get a BA in PT,nor a Masters,only a doctorate. The bachelor's degree is becoming the new hs diploma. The most basic of education. I think it's ridiculous,since there are few fields that truly require that amount of education. I suposse the competition for good jobs is such that emploters can ask for more and more and pay less and less.Globalization is partly to blame.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 PM

688 posts, read 2,837,634 times
In some fields, such as my husband's, which is business management, if you have a bachelor's degree, you can enter into a program for 18 months to get your master's, and if you are with a company that cares enough, you can get the tuition reimbursment program in place. It's better because you do not have to spend as much as the conventional way and it takes place a couple nights a week, so you still get to keep your job. It's really beneficial because he can be qualified enough through education and experience to be promoted to a Regional Manager which makes a whole heck of alot more. I'm not sure what field you are in, but maybe you can check to see if your's is one you can pursue that way. I know Pheonix is one of the colleges and you can take it online. Here we have one locally so it is in the classroom. Hope this helps!

LuLu

Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 AM

420 posts, read 2,200,052 times
To be honest, the only reason I went on to get a Master's Degree was because the company I was working for said I needed to and that they would pay for it. I had my BS in Finance, with a focus in investments and went to work for UBS. The liked my style for some reason and wanted to send me to get my MBA in order to manage a department. So...they sent me back to NYU, I got my Masters and went back. Ended up taking a better offer from Goldman about 4 months later, and am getting paid more just because I have that extra degree.

Basically, for me, my Master's degree wasn't about learning anything more that I was going to end up applying. I got my MBA in 2006. Simply put, the reason you need a Master's degree to be an investment banker is because it says that you know more people, you talk to more people, and you have more friends than someone with a Bachelor's degree. Having friends and networking is what business is all about. Of course eventually I'll probably end up managing a hedge fund so I'll be thankful for those MBA skills, but for the time being, I make my paychecks using market research I learned how to conduct when I was a Junior at NYU.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 AM

453 posts, read 2,101,837 times
i'm going to get my masters sometime soon; either an mba or mmis. my company will pay for it, it will enhance my salary and career potential, and i've always enjoyed learning

Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 AM

202 posts, read 271,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I totally agree except sometimes employers want to cut corners and hire the less expensive employee. I've heard of that happening, but haven't seen it personally. And who would want to work someplace like that anyway?
In school districts, many have the caveat that their teachers are EXPECTED to get master's degrees in ed upon x years of being hired, to help districts best meet federal mandates for employing so-called highly qualified educators. They may want to initially hire somebody who has a degree that commands a lower starting salary, but eventually, that employee will be expected to put in the professional development to obtain a Master's.

I would only get a Master's degree if I were being reimbursed by an employer, myself. I'm very much for learning for learning's sake, but I went that route already in getting my B.A. from a liberal arts college, and that was a sizeable investment. I am perfectly able to learn for learning's sake all my adult life without shelling out for a Master's degree. It's certainly not the only way to expand one's knowledge. It's just one of the more expensive.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM

3,300 posts, read 9,193,012 times
Quote:
I would only get a Master's degree if I were being reimbursed by an employer, myself.
Wish that had been an option for my husband...but he had to foot the bill for his master's in mech engineering. Liz

Old 07-30-2007, 07:41 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,808 times
Master's degrees are now being used as base level criteria for specific jobs. For example, I do training and performance improvement, and over the past few years, I've noticed that employers are requiring a Master's degree. A Master's degree also provides greater depth in your field of study. Also, if you have a Master's degree, you can make extra money teaching at local colleges. Most colleges will not let you teach even one evening class there if you do not have an Master's degree. Finally, a Master's degree also gives you credibility when you write a book. I'm currently trying to finish my Master's for all the above reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I have a bachelor's degree. Why would I need a Master's degree? What is the purpose of obtaining one for either business or non-profit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities