Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,724,415 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelor's degree. Why would I need a Master's degree? What is the purpose of obtaining one for either business or non-profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,106,250 times
A Masters Degree opens doors and gets you in positions that without one you would not be able to get. For instance, at my husbands ex company (we are retired now) you needed a MBA to be a Director or higher. So all of the high management employees had at least a MBA.

There are other examples too. Like you need at least a Masters to teach at a junior college. Stuff like that.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,199,037 times
OK, If two people are applying for a job. One has a Masters. They seem to have equal skills and ability, which one would get the job? The one with the Masters, especially if he/she managed to get it while holding down a regular job. It implies that person

is one that tries to go that extra step.. That's not always true, but it is a good way of impressing people.

Another reason, in some fields such as Teaching or Nusing, it pays more and may help advancement to a supervisory position.

Now days, just about anyone can get a Bachlor's degree. It's no biggie.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,943,965 times
For certain occupations it is the first true level of 'professionalism'. And with that comes the money and oppurtunities that we wouldnt otherwise have without the degree.

The same question would have been asked years ago about h.s. diplomas vs bachelors degrees but times are changing. And Im sure for some, it is just a way of impressing people. But for myself, its a hell of an expensive way to impress someone. I have more important reasons for continuuing my education.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
I'm in complete agreement with all the above posts. Sadly, these days, college seems to no longer "suffice" in terms of profession. My son had decided that he would need an MBA even before he had actually applied to UNDERGRADUATE schools! --And he is probably right.

I got my master's because it would allow me to practice therapy and "officially" enter the field. (As well as hopefully be well compensated for it.)

Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
OK, If two people are applying for a job. One has a Masters. They seem to have equal skills and ability, which one would get the job? The one with the Masters, especially if he/she managed to get it while holding down a regular job. It implies that person

is one that tries to go that extra step.. That's not always true, but it is a good way of impressing people.

Another reason, in some fields such as Teaching or Nusing, it pays more and may help advancement to a supervisory position.

Now days, just about anyone can get a Bachlor's degree. It's no biggie.
I totally agree except sometimes employers want to cut corners and hire the less expensive employee. I've heard of that happening, but haven't seen it personally. And who would want to work someplace like that anyway?

But honestly Hoosier, today's bachelor's degrees are like high diplomas once were.

The other, and probably more valid reason to get an MA is for the pure love of learning. If you have to put a dollar figure on it, you might be doing it for the wrong reason.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,497,254 times
Honestly, I think it depends on if it will take you to a higher level in your job or not.

DH needed one to work in his field and advance. They would not have even hired him without one.

I needed one just to have my job (school counseling), so it depends on your particular situation.

Dawn

Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 AM

114 posts, read 400,110 times
What you learned in undergraduate years are not enough for your further career.

I have Highschool diploma,why do I need a bachelor degree?

Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Simple: a bachelors is today's equivalent to a high school degree in the 50s and 60s; a Masters is today's equivalent to a bachelor's degree back then. When bachelors degrees became ordinary, Masters degrees became the new way to stand out and say "I've jumped through more hoops, I've been through more personal and academic trials than the other guys, and I've demonstrated that I'm willing to go that extra mile and work a little harder." It's a gatekeeping process as much as anything else, and a masters degree opens more gates.

I'm currently pursuing a doctorate because my chosen profession requires it. It's largely a self-serving scam if you ask me, but I gotta play by their rules if I want to be part of the game.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,497,254 times
You may not. What line of work do you want to be in? Certain jobs don't require college. DH's dad was an electrician. He didn't need college. It just depends on what you want to do.

I think it IS important to love what you do though. If you just work to get money, that wouldn't be enough for me. I need to enjoy what I do.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1117 View Post
What you learned in undergraduate years are not enough for your further career.

I have Highschool diploma,why do I need a bachelor degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities