Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
what if i were to follow somebody around and stand next to them, they grew tired of it, and attacked me? yeah, that's fun.

the project has too many uncontrollable variables. you dont know what reaction you are going to get when your goal is to **** them off.

i dont want to be attacked, i dont want to deal with the negative consequences.
Then put on some abercrombie and go into hot topic as mentioned. It doesn't say you have to touch anyone.

I like the idea of going to a McDonalds and ordering a whopper. When they say they don't serve whoppers-- ask them if they can make the burger just like a whopper. When they say they don't grill their burgers, ask why not-- and demand a grilled burger made like a whopper. That would be a riot. Also, wear one of those burger king crowns while you are talking to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM

378 posts, read 576,983 times
Quote:
....i dont want to deal with the negative consequences.
That is the central theme of this thread; you do not want to take risks of any sort.

You are in college and I am sorry, but all adults take risks and if you are going to learn anything in college, you will need to take a few risks.

If you play it safe for fear of something bad happening, you will always fail your responsibilities in any contemporary profession.

A central point in life is weighing the risks of an action against the benefits of that action. Investing in stocks requires this analysis and insurance companies live off of risk/gain analysis.

What about risking your heart in a relationship? Will you ever risk being hurt and fall in love?

Grow a pair of balls lady; this world functions by taking risks and you need to overcome your unfounded fears.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
i don't know any women that want to "grow a pair".

i like cyclone's mcdonald's idea (even the burger king hat) since it is amusing and harmless. she could bring a tape recorder and record their response. afterwards, she can even tell them it was for a school assigment and they will have something to talk about at work.

assignment completed.

i will say that i don't think those particular types of assigments really mean much of anything and represents laziness on the part of the professor. it is more like a late night with letterman stunt than actual "learning".

Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Take a deep breath and think about this.

The professor has not asked you to do anything illegal, or even to do anything that would expose you to danger. What the professor has asked you to do is to put yourself in a situation in which you are acting in a way that runs counter to people's expectations, and there are a million ways to do it. Presumably part of the assignment will be to observe other people's reactions, so if you wanted to you could make the professor the subject of your little exercise:

Order a pizza to be delivered to class.
Create a phony issue of People Magazine with your professor's picture on the cover as the Sexiest Man/Woman in the World and post it around campus.
Sit in the front row of the classroom and start snoring as soon as he starts talking.
Rent a digital projector, bring your laptop to class, and project your lecture notes on the back wall of the classroom as the professor talks.
Or, better yet, hire a court reporter to come to class and project a verbatim transcript of the lecture as he talks.
Start sending your professor random articles from scientific journals, preferably in fields unrelated to his/hers.
Create a fan page for your professor on Facebook and get everyone in the class to join.
Create a fan page for your professor on Facebook, make sure nobody joins, and set up a calendar counting up the number of days the page has been up without a single member.
Go to your professor's other classes and ask why the people in the other classes are better looking than the ones in your class.
Every time your professor says something totally inconsequential, like "I'm glad the Yankees won yesterday," raise your hand and ask if that's going to be on the final.

Have fun with it and try not to be such a stiff.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 04-05-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
i have never felt so uncomfortable about doing an assignment like this in my life and believe it is criminal to do this since it could be considered harassment.

here is the description of the assignment. its for my interpersonal comm class, nonverbal project.

[SIZE=3]Some ideas, you can invade someone's personal space by standing really close to them, standing facing backwards in an elevator or sitting right next to someone on a bench when the whole bench is open. You could set up a secondary territory in a public territory by playing a game in a busy hallway at school, or blocking off a lot of table space during a busy time at the dining center. You could also wear clothing into stores that would be "inappropriate" to that store such as wearing clothes from Abercrombie and entering a Hot Topic. So as you can see the possibilities are endless. You do however have to have your topic approved so once you start brainstorming you will want to start running your ideas by me[/SIZE].
Do it. The idea is to break open your personal "comfort zone" and get you to see new perspectives. That is a critical part of REAL education.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
i am a guy by the way, to the poster who said she.

and i dont get why a delivery guy delivering pizza to class would be a big deal.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't know any women that want to "grow a pair".

i like cyclone's mcdonald's idea (even the burger king hat) since it is amusing and harmless. she could bring a tape recorder and record their response. afterwards, she can even tell them it was for a school assigment and they will have something to talk about at work.

assignment completed.

i will say that i don't think those particular types of assigments really mean much of anything and represents laziness on the part of the professor. it is more like a late night with letterman stunt than actual "learning".
I agree; a pretty meaningless, pointless assignment for which the student is paying tuition; its proponent ( the teacher) seems to think that will be an "edgy", daring proposal, but it's really just a waste of time..

You can learn to be "assertive", and yet accomplish something of value, without being deliberately annoying..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM

378 posts, read 576,983 times
Quote:
i am a guy by the way, to the poster who said she.

and i dont get why a delivery guy delivering pizza to class would be a big deal.
I agree with the poster, but that is the Perry Cox in me speaking.

What I quoted is what my central point addresses and it is a problem you will need to face. If you never take risks, you will eventually fail. Lying with a BS report and being a laze will only hasten your departure from college.

College is hard work and part of why college is so valuable is it forces you to work on who you are as a person as much as the subject you are studying. If you refuse to work on yourself, save yourself time and drop out now.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
its way outside my comfort zone though. ill just bs it and write a fake report.
Yeah, god forbid you learn anything or broaden your experiences in college.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
This is the type of assignment I would hate and the type of class I definitely wouldn't take .... not really sure what would make this a college level assignment .... but anyhow, that is neither here nor there as it is a college assignment for a class you are in

so make the best of it

To me it looks like the goal of the assignment is two fold and both would have a behavorial scope - the first would be to study the reaction of others when presented with something out of their social norms (which i've been on the receiving end of many times - especially when travelling) - the other side is to see how you adapt to the situation, how you initiate it, etc .... basically taking a risk, being assertive and breaking your own social norms

Approach it not as being annoying or harrasing anyone - just approach it like you are completely niave to the social norms and are just acting natural with the though process of "why would anyone object to this - whats so wrong about facing the crowd in an elevator with my back to the door"

Let's face it - personal space is a huge norm in the US ..... you could join a stranger at a food court, start a conversation at a urinal .... when you are introduced to someone and they stick out there hand ask for a hug instead .... put on some sweats, a t-shirt and dirty ball cap and then go into banks and ask about employment .... wear a suit & tie to your local college dive bar

tons of options out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities