Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,317,242 times

Advertisements

Here is the way I see it...
I live in a wealthy neighborhood (houses are between 500k to 4m, it used to be between 1m to 8m), and I can tell you that 80 to 90% are college grads. Most are doctors, lawyers, accountants, tech, etc... My next door neighbor is has a masters in HR and works for BOA, makes about 150k, his wife is a CPA that also makes good money. On the other side is the new guy on the street, just moved in a few months ago, in his mid 20's software engineer.
In my street there is only one that doesn't have a college degree, and he is a business owner.

College a scam??? I don't think so, is an investment, like all investment is a gamble.
Almost all of the people that I know that makes 100k+ has a college degree. So how could that be a scam? And if they spend all of their money paying loans, how come they can afford this houses??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM

29 posts, read 27,997 times
Here's what you do:

Get a job making the most money you can after you graduate high school. I suggest working in the field you hope to be in; in this case, you might consider getting a job at a daycare/preschool or as a nanny for a family. Meanwhile, take your first two years of classes at a community college. I don't know how it is in SC, but where I live, community college is about $100/credit. That's about 1/3 the cost of a state school.

Then, for years three and four you transfer to a four-year college and finish the degree. You will have to pay for two years, but that's better than paying for four.

I wouldn't recommend trying to go through life without a degree; you'll regret it if you do.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,116,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad08 View Post
Here's what you do:

Get a job making the most money you can after you graduate high school. I suggest working in the field you hope to be in; in this case, you might consider getting a job at a daycare/preschool or as a nanny for a family. Meanwhile, take your first two years of classes at a community college. I don't know how it is in SC, but where I live, community college is about $100/credit. That's about 1/3 the cost of a state school.

Then, for years three and four you transfer to a four-year college and finish the degree. You will have to pay for two years, but that's better than paying for four.

I wouldn't recommend trying to go through life without a degree; you'll regret it if you do.

Good post, do you mind if I ask you some personal questions. What was your major at Indiana? How much did school cost you; how much did you owe when you finished? Did you get a job in your field after school? Is your salary more than you owe in loans? Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM

539 posts, read 733,775 times
It's just another way 'they' make money off of us. We get to go deep in debt, pay thousands and thousands of dollars so that we MIGHT get the chance to be a corporate slave and make 'them' a lot of money. It's a pile of crap.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:18 PM

539 posts, read 733,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Here's my reason...

The fact of the matter is our culture is too focused on the commoditization of every facet of our lives.

College... knowelge... is therefore only considered to be of value if it translates into monetary gain.

The funny thing about that is that money itself is a lie, perpetrated on the people and traping them into a system that requires ever-increasing levels of consumption to perpetuate itself. It's an unnatural and completely retarded system.

Going to college with that basic assumption virtually assures a failed college experience, becasuse each course taken ends up being just another seemingly endless burning hoop to jump through, suffering in the short term to get past finals and hurry on to the next hoop until the last one has been cleared.

A real experience is supposed to be an experience, not a means to an end, and like most experiences, the person having the experiences will determine how much they get out of it. If you finish college and feel like you only have a piece of paper to show for it, it's because you spent your college journey focused only on the endpoint and failed to pay attention to the journey.
Yep. It's the ever-dangling carrot. Good post.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,884,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Ok here is my question for the OP. Was all this information hidden from you? If not, how is it a scam?

A philosophy degree has virtually zero return but i'm sure this major still fills up. Why? *shrugs*
Not quite, the U.S. State Dept and most Law Schools value this degree.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:04 PM

593 posts, read 1,317,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
It's just another way 'they' make money off of us. We get to go deep in debt, pay thousands and thousands of dollars so that we MIGHT get the chance to be a corporate slave and make 'them' a lot of money. It's a pile of crap.
I prefer to make 200K being a corporate slave compared to 8 dollars per hour and still a corporate slave...

Also with a degree is much much easier to open your own business, especially a professional business, where the degree is actually needed (clinics, law firms, CPA firms, etc).

A degree is what you make of it, is useless if you don't know how to use it, is has a lot of value if you know how to use it...
Every degree has a value...

Old 05-17-2011, 03:16 PM

547 posts, read 940,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Here is the way I see it...
I live in a wealthy neighborhood (houses are between 500k to 4m, it used to be between 1m to 8m), and I can tell you that 80 to 90% are college grads. Most are doctors, lawyers, accountants, tech, etc... My next door neighbor is has a masters in HR and works for BOA, makes about 150k, his wife is a CPA that also makes good money. On the other side is the new guy on the street, just moved in a few months ago, in his mid 20's software engineer.
In my street there is only one that doesn't have a college degree, and he is a business owner.

College a scam??? I don't think so, is an investment, like all investment is a gamble.
Almost all of the people that I know that makes 100k+ has a college degree. So how could that be a scam? And if they spend all of their money paying loans, how come they can afford this houses??
You cite jobs that require a college or several college degrees in order to make good money. Of course college is worth it if you want to be in the medical profession or work in the computer industry. No one is going to argue with that. They'd be stupid if they did try to form an argument.

But look on the other side. Let's say you get a degree in one of the following: English, history, communications, philosophy, psychology, political science, sociology, or anthropology. What can you do with those degrees? What if you get one of those degrees and say you don't want to go to graduate school. Then what? The degree you have is a bachelors degree, but it has little value unlike a degree in nursing which can get you a job as a......................nurse.

If you're not sure what you want to do and end up getting a degree because you believe any degree is better than nothing, then you're not going to be successful as the other person who ended up getting a degree in nursing who is now working in a hospital while you're at home applying to whatever kind of jobs you can.

Then you can say that the college degree you got was a scam.........

Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
If you want to teach, you will have to get a college degree. That's the incontrovertible fact. If you want to do something else, perhaps you don't need a degree.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,228,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
You cite jobs that require a college or several college degrees in order to make good money. Of course college is worth it if you want to be in the medical profession or work in the computer industry. No one is going to argue with that. They'd be stupid if they did try to form an argument.

But look on the other side. Let's say you get a degree in one of the following: English, history, communications, philosophy, psychology, political science, sociology, or anthropology. What can you do with those degrees? What if you get one of those degrees and say you don't want to go to graduate school. Then what? The degree you have is a bachelors degree, but it has little value unlike a degree in nursing which can get you a job as a......................nurse.

If you're not sure what you want to do and end up getting a degree because you believe any degree is better than nothing, then you're not going to be successful as the other person who ended up getting a degree in nursing who is now working in a hospital while you're at home applying to whatever kind of jobs you can.

Then you can say that the college degree you got was a scam.........
It isn't a scam unless the college promised you that your philosophy degree would earn you a high paid job.

Some people go to college simply to learn something rewarding and either don't care that it isn't "valuable" or didn't pay attention to the job prospects for their chosen major.

There is nothing we can do about those people. If you come from a wealthy family and it doesn't matter what degree you get - then go to college for the experience. But if it is important to earn a living then choose a promising degree program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities