Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Just a note, most US colleges have the behavior you noted. At SRU it has to be inside more.

SRU might have weather more like that which you're used to. Arizona hot means 105F. But it's a dry heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 PM

163 posts, read 376,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurdo View Post
Hi again. Thanks to all of you!

To be more specific, I'm choosing from these two options because they are the only schools officially listed as partner schools with my college (Slovakia, Europe), located in US. And I want to go to US.
Personally, I'm more attracted to location of Tucson, mostly because of the nice hot weather, which I like, and it generally seems like more exciting place than small town of Slippery Rock to me.
Months ago I searched YouTube for videos related to these schools and the ones that came up for U of A where all pool parties, drunk kids, whorish dancing etc. So I somehow came to a conclusion that Slippery is more "serious", more for academics and I considered it as my better choice then.
But I don't mind partying (not everyday, really , and if U of A is better established/known, then better for me, I guess.

Nevertheless, I still have plenty of time to decide (mid of October).
So if you have any more to say, I'll be more than pleased!
Ah, that makes sense, about being an international student. The reason you would find such things out about Arizona, but not Slippery Rock is really just because of notoriety. Not many people outside of the immediate area have heard of Slippery Rock. You'll find a party atmosphere at any college, if you go looking for it. But based on resources and academic reputation, Arizona is a well-respected university. I may be going there myself. Arizona was named a "public ivy." Don't let a "party school" label scare you, there are opportunities to be had if you're serious about your studies.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Arizona has about a dozen colleges http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_in_Arizona. Pennsylvania has a couple of hundred: Colleges Colleges - Pennsylvania Slippery Rock is one of our small public's.

It's no wonder that the University of Arizona is more well known then Slippery Rock - the residents don't have too many choices on where to go! Not that it's not a good college but I've got to say I've never heard it referred to as a "public ivy".

Edit - looks like AZ has less then a dozen four year colleges.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-07-2011 at 06:42 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Arizona has about a dozen colleges List of colleges and universities in Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Pennsylvania has a couple of hundred: Colleges Colleges - Pennsylvania Slippery Rock is one of our small public's.

It's no wonder that the University of Arizona is more well known then Slippery Rock - the residents don't have too many choices on where to go! Not that it's not a good college but it's I've got to say I've never heard it referred to as a "public ivy".

Edit - looks like AZ has less then a dozen four year colleges.
Greene's Guide to public ivy colleges expands the original list of 8 to 30, including the University of Arizona.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
Greene's Guide to public ivy colleges expands the original list of 8 to 30, including the University of Arizona.
Here's a link to the information you are referring to:Public Ivy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thought I would post it since the OP is an international student. I knew what you meant, it's just that it's not a common opinion, it's one person or what a small group of people decided. We here on this forum have debated what schools are in the same realm as the official Ivy League, but our conclusion does not make it a fact.

That still doesn't change my opinion that U of A would be my choice over Slippery Rock, public ivy or just a large public.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here's a link to the information you are referring to:Public Ivy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thought I would post it since the OP is an international student. I knew what you meant, it's just that it's not a common opinion, it's one person or what a small group of people decided. We here on this forum have debated what schools are in the same realm as the official Ivy League, but our conclusion does not make it a fact.

That still doesn't change my opinion that U of A would be my choice over Slippery Rock, public ivy or just a large public.
Fair enough, my point, was just that the admittedly loose term "public ivy" has been applied to U of A, in a vaguely official (or as official as you can get) publication. I wasn't just spouting off my own wild opinion, but you seem to understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities