Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times

Advertisements

I got into both colleges and I would be happy at either. Which college should I choose and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,070 times
It depends. What do you want to study?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
It depends. What do you want to study?
Geography

Old 02-02-2009, 03:12 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,070 times
Well, I'm biased, so take it for what it's worth. I'm really not sure about the geography program, but the U of A has more ranked programs than New Mexico State. Here's a link of ranked programs that are available at the U of A: https://admissions.arizona.edu/rankings/Default.aspx (broken link)

The bad thing about the U of A is that you could get lost in the crowd. Meaning in some of your lower level classes you may be 1 of 300 students, which unsettling for some students. But once you get to your upper division classes the student to professor ratio is 35 to 1. I've *heard* most people say that the undergraduate education could use some refining, but as far as the graduate education offered by the U of A some consider well worth it.

As far as classes, your first year you may find your classes spread throughout campus, which is totally normal, but you might want to schedule your classes in close proximity. Most people ride their bikes to class if they have classes in engineering or the business college. Parking can also be cumbersome and the garage rates are ridiculous. I would recommend that you get what is called a blue zone 1 permit. This is probably the most affordable of all of the permits, but it's important that you reserve yours ahead of time.

There's also over 50 sororities and fraternities if you're into that type of stuff.

I know that I didn't really give you any reasons to attend the U of A, but I provided you with information that's pretty common knowledge for most U of A students. I think that you'll ultimately need to make the decision of what institution to attend. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default University of Arizona vs New Mexico State

They're both good schools. U of A is bigger, in a major athletic conference, and located in Tuscon, a big town with lots of activities. Hotter than all get out, though.

NMSU is a little smaller, but still a big school. Located in Las Cruces, a small city, but big enough to have all the services you'd want. Not as hot as Tuscon, but still plenty warm.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:53 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
They're both good schools. U of A is bigger, in a major athletic conference, and located in Tuscon, a big town with lots of activities. Hotter than all get out, though.

NMSU is a little smaller, but still a big school. Located in Las Cruces, a small city, but big enough to have all the services you'd want. Not as hot as Tuscon, but still plenty warm.
The hottest we get in Cruces is about 100-105, from about right after Memorial Day, into the second week in June. Then the monsoon season begins, and we won't go above 100 again. After the monsoons, however, it's a different kind of heat.

I guess since the poster is perspective student, they'd miss the worst of the weather here IMO, which is mid July through the end of August, when it gets humid.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:53 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Arizona has a better reputation for academics but costs more.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:26 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Arizona has a better reputation for academics but costs more.
That depends on which state the OP has residency in.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM

I have residency in Massachusetts. I got a $4,000/year scholarship at Arizona. I plan on applying for a scholarship at NMSU that would allow me to get in state tuition, but there are no guarantees that I will get the scholarship. Parking is not an issue because I will not have a car.

Last edited by city_data91; 02-02-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 AM

I got a scholarship at NMSU and now I get in state tuition. I would be happy at either college, but I like Arizona slightly more. NMSU would be about 5,000 a year now that I got the scholarship. Arizona would be about 14,000 a year. If all factors were the same, I would choose Arizona. But because of the better scholarship at NMSU, I am leaning toward NMSU. Should I go with Arizona even though it's more expensive? Would I be crazy not to take NMSU up on their offer? I need a 3.0 to maintain the smaller scholarship at Arizona and a 3.25 to maintain the huge scholarship at NMSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities