Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I read that link. You're confusing online only colleges and online degree programs. That study shows online only colleges, like University of Phoenix or DeVry, as way down the list. A degree acquired online from an actual school with an actual physical campus is different. There's really no way to tell at those schools if a diploma was received via online instruction or physically on campus. If I went to Arizona State, for example, even if I completed the degree online, the diploma would just say Arizona State University.

I understand why these colleges seem diverse or very different from one another. They are all brick and mortar schools that are regionally accredited. They are actual not for profit colleges.

No one will know unless you are asked directly, if you attended those colleges online or in person.

I would pick the one with the best program for you. I think they are all reasonable choices.

Some people say that the last college you attended is the most important. I disagree. Plenty of people have historically moved back home with their families after four years away at college and attended the local college with the best program for them for their MA. It's a bit easier on the budget.

Today, many people are doing what you are doing. Taking their Master's online. If you have already taken a class at Champlain, you know what online learning is like at least at that college.
Most likely you will do well!

Best of luck and do let us know which school you select!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
So I've decided to go with Champlain College. Arizona State is nice and well known but their online program is decided specifically for people already with an associates degree from a regionally accredited university. I, unfortunately, went to ITT Tech for my associates, which is nationally accredited but not the more desirable regionally accredited. So very few, if any, of my classes would transfer. And looking at the cirriculum for Southern New Hampshire, it looks like they just took a general IT degree, threw in a handful of web classes, and called it a web design emphasis. Champlain, while more expensive, appears to have designed the web design degree from the ground up with many classes dealing with web design issues. And since I've already taken a class there and they already have my transcripts, it seems like an easier option for a much better program.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
sounds good and it sounds like you have some direction approaching your studies

best of luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Good choice ischyros! My son attends Champlain and it's been the right place for him.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Need help!

My sister is going to major in Forensic Science. I am paying for her degree and as part of this agreement she wants me to suggest colleges for her to look into. I want her to be educated in the Northeast part of the US.

I've come up with the following schools. Any input on them would be appreciated, especially if you majored in Criminal Justice or Forensic Science.

University of New Haven
Pace University
Hofstra University
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
Boston University
Rhode Island College

If you guys have any other suggestions, please feel free to let me know!

Much appreciated.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Need help!

My sister is going to major in Forensic Science. I am paying for her degree and as part of this agreement she wants me to suggest colleges for her to look into. I want her to be educated in the Northeast part of the US.

I've come up with the following schools. Any input on them would be appreciated, especially if you majored in Criminal Justice or Forensic Science.

University of New Haven
Pace University
Hofstra University
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
Boston University
Rhode Island College

If you guys have any other suggestions, please feel free to let me know!

Much appreciated.
Why does she have to be in the NE? What are her stats? GPA/Test scores?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why does she have to be in the NE? What are her stats? GPA/Test scores?
Would like her to stay in the Northeast because she feels comfortable around her family which is all in the Northeast. I live in Atlanta right now but it's only for employment reasons but should be moving back up to NY in the summer time or fall the latest.

She is 5th in her class and her GPA is like a 97. She hasn't taken her SATs yet but if I can get a 1420 then I'm assuming she can get quite a good score. Are the schools I listed hard to get into?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
The only one of the schools you listed that might be called competitive is Boston University, and even then it's only relative to Boston College, Tufts and other better caliber schools around Boston.

The rest of the schools you named are not considered competitive schools and will pretty much take anyone who can pay the tuition.

Quote:
Would like her to stay in the Northeast because she feels comfortable around her family which is all in the Northeast. I live in Atlanta right now but it's only for employment reasons but should be moving back up to NY in the summer time or fall the latest.

She is 5th in her class and her GPA is like a 97. She hasn't taken her SATs yet but if I can get a 1420 then I'm assuming she can get quite a good score. Are the schools I listed hard to get into?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
The only one of the schools you listed that might be called competitive is Boston University, and even then it's only relative to Boston College, Tufts and other better caliber schools around Boston.

The rest of the schools you named are not considered competitive schools and will pretty much take anyone who can pay the tuition.
I got that list of schools from a few "top forensic science colleges" lists. Do you have any other, more competitive/prestigious universities that may be worth looking into?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
I got that list of schools from a few "top forensic science colleges" lists. Do you have any other, more competitive/prestigious universities that may be worth looking into?
I would tell your sister to tread carefully before getting anything called a "forensic science" degree. These are a fairly new phenomenon bolstered by the popularity of TV shows like CSI and NCIS. Most of the people who really do those jobs have science degrees, like in biology or chemisty or biochem or bioengineering... you get the idea. That or they have MDs. The key is to have a strong science background with lots of lab work, and know something about problem solving and the law. I'm not saying that a forensic science degree is a scam, I'm sure some programs are good, but it is something of a narrow degree and it is not even necessary to break into the field. A regular science degree may give her more options down the road in case she changes her mind later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities