Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Again, you are assuming a few things - that all CC's are exactly the same, and that makes no sense. Are all Colleges the same? I have heard the opposite from College students, who took classes at our CC to fill in a missed class at their own college during the summer. And are all AP classes the same? Some AP's are absolutely easier then others - Human Geography compared to European History. I just don't see the point in saying that AP classes are harder then CC classes, period. Some are, some aren't.....
Agreed.

I have taught both AP and community college science courses. The environmental science college course I taught was FAR harder than AP ES.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
I think part of the problem in comparing the two is just level of course work. Community colleges teach primarily introductory courses and even at Rutgers (at the time one of top public schools in the country) intro courses were "easy". I never had a "hard" class until I got to second level courses, even then it was only a handful, organic 2 and biochem were the only ones I thought were somewhat hard. But my final year all of my major course work was both undergrad and grad level. Those were the only ones I ever put any really time into.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Personal examples of the great coomunity college you went to are useless in the larger debate. It's a matter of the typical CC and typical University.

Quality of student is much lower at a CC. If the classes were just as hard as a University with smarter kids no one would be passing that CC class.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Personal examples of the great coomunity college you went to are useless in the larger debate. It's a matter of the typical CC and typical University.

Quality of student is much lower at a CC. If the classes were just as hard as a University with smarter kids no one would be passing that CC class.
I agree with you with regards to the overall debate about quality on average, but there are a lot of people making blanket statements the other way. Suggesting all classes in a 4 year university are more difficult than their counterparts in a CC and in that case personal examples provide evidence to the contrary.

Like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Because I know many kids that have taken classes like these either in high school or over the summer to get extra credits and they ALL say the same thing. As far as the AP/regular high school class...that was the whole point, there is no comparison for a CC class and a class taught at a good 4 year college.
It is similar to the black swan hypothesis.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
You can't be serious with this question.
Yes, I absolutely am serious. I would like to see some documentation. It's easy to make these pronoucements as "The Gospel according to Gatornation", but I'd like some proof as to their veracity.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Again, you are assuming a few things - that all CC's are exactly the same, and that makes no sense. Are all Colleges the same? I have heard the opposite from College students, who took classes at our CC to fill in a missed class at their own college during the summer. And are all AP classes the same? Some AP's are absolutely easier then others - Human Geography compared to European History. I just don't see the point in saying that AP classes are harder then CC classes, period. Some are, some aren't.....
I didn't compare AP classes to CC classes, I compared AP classes to non-AP high school classes and CC classes with good 4 year college classes....

Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,960 times
Quote:
In the end the person teaching and the students in class will be inferior in education and intelligence on average at a CC. The kid at a top 100 University will be in a class with kids who are not as smart as them.

No offense but I went to Fordham University, and graduated with a B.A. in 3 years. I am now going to a C.C. for a different program, and it considered to be one of the best in the state.

As for inferior teachers, my former anatomy teacher at the CC has a Ph. D, and is on the Yale medical board, he helps to decide who will get to become a doctor.

Your assumption about people who attend CC is blatently wrong, and a sterotype. In all honestly I'm considered "smart", i went to a private HS and have always done very well in school, and yet many of my classmates in my program are equal to me, and some are smarter.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I agree with you with regards to the overall debate about quality on average, but there are a lot of people making blanket statements the other way. Suggesting all classes in a 4 year university are more difficult than their counterparts in a CC and in that case personal examples provide evidence to the contrary.
I'm usually prepared to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that generalizations aren't meant to be universal.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's been shown in this thread that the middle-class (we used $80k as the income) qualify for need-based grants that make it cheaper to go to a 4-year school.
My parents made about $40k/yr gross to support a family of 6. I hardly received any financial aid. I graduated high school with a 3.9 GPA. Hardly...anything. Where'd all that free money go when I was in college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's also been mentioned that many 4-year colleges do not accept transfers from community colleges.
Many? Maybe. Majority? No.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
No offense but I went to Fordham University, and graduated with a B.A. in 3 years. I am now going to a C.C. for a different program, and it considered to be one of the best in the state.

As for inferior teachers, my former anatomy teacher at the CC has a Ph. D, and is on the Yale medical board, he helps to decide who will get to become a doctor.

Your assumption about people who attend CC is blatently wrong, and a sterotype. In all honestly I'm considered "smart", i went to a private HS and have always done very well in school, and yet many of my classmates in my program are equal to me, and some are smarter.
For someone who is very smart it's pretty clear that you can't differentiate between your personal example and what is the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities