Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM

135 posts, read 310,744 times

Advertisements

I am 42 years old and have returned to school full time (Junior) to finish my degree. Fortunately, I am in a position where I do not have to work and go to school. However, 6 classes is still A LOT OF WORK!

Out of curiosity, I am wondering if anyone else out there has ever taken more than 18 hours a semester. If so, how much? And, how were your grades?

Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
At the age of 32 I completed 21 credit hours--7 classes--in one semsester. 5 classes were 3 credits each, 1 was 4 credits and 1 was 2 credits.
It was tough. I was on campus all day, 5 days a week. I wasn't working so that helped. I finished all 7 classes with a 3.0 in each one.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasleb View Post
I am 42 years old and have returned to school full time (Junior) to finish my degree. Fortunately, I am in a position where I do not have to work and go to school. However, 6 classes is still A LOT OF WORK!

Out of curiosity, I am wondering if anyone else out there has ever taken more than 18 hours a semester. If so, how much? And, how were your grades?

Thanx!
I took 18 credits per semester while working full time for most semesters, but not all. I graduated with the equivalent of a 4.0 GPA (my school does not calculate GPAs).

Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 30,919 times
I took 19 credit hours (six 3 credit classes, one 1 credit lab) and had a B average that semester. It was rough - it was my very first semester in my upper level economics and computer science courses. I don't think I've ever done so much calculus, data analysis, and programming in my life, haha.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Our daughter had a 22 hour semester. Her social life suffered a bit, but the grades were excellent.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
6 classes was pretty typical for me while I was an undergrad. I did not work, tho. I give credit to those who manage a heavy course load while working. I couldn't do it. During a few semesters I did more (7-8), eh maybe even 9 figuring the labs. My grades were good. I graduated magna. If I found myself having a problem with a class I'd drop it or withdraw and retake the next semester. I had 2 majors and was premed. I lived and breathed school. There wasn't room for much else.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasleb View Post

Thanx!
I'm sorry but you're crazy. I could barely handle 12 credit hours. I guess I just simply do not have the motivation to do college work. School's never been my most favorite thing.

But I do have to congratulate you on taking the initiative to take the plunge and go through with your hectic schedule of 6 classes. I ended up with a 2.5 GPA after taking only 3 classes in my first (and only) semester of college.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I usually take 19 Credit hours while working. Fulltime (+ 2 PT jobs on weekends)

I did take 21 one semester, & limited my full time 'night' job to 6hrs / day (retained my weekend jobs, as they were my favorite, (one was truckdriving 846 miles / night through WY/CO & SD... Think snow, ice, wind helps keep you awake!))

I only worked PT during my latest Masters Program, but also was running 3 side businesses.

Work and/or School is EZ compared to growing up @ Dairy Farm Boarding School.
My degrees were engineering(ME and Civil), not exactly trivial.

GPA 3.92 undergrad
GPA 3.96 Masters
(I was also a caregiver for a disabled parent during undergrad (and for 32 yrs following)

Life happens, but I WILL SAY 'new school / academics / workload' was gravy when returning in my 50's. I think school (college) has become VERY ez. Unfortunately, most are just 'puttin-in-their-time' (students and professors) BTW: I am currently employed PT by a College, it is EZ too. (compared to milking cows at 4AM and 4 PM x7x365)

Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I think school (college) has become VERY ez. Unfortunately, most are just 'puttin-in-their-time' (students and professors) BTW: I am currently employed PT by a College, it is EZ too. (compared to milking cows at 4AM and 4 PM x7x365)
I found some classes in college extremely challenging.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I found some classes in college extremely challenging.
as in...? Granted there are some GREAT classes and some GREAT profs and some GREAT classmates,

I would love to find some challenging college classes (I'm just about ready for a "Senior Citizen Discount". I would like to get more Economics / Sociology and go back overseas to live and work. I partnered with trade schools and industry and really enjoyed that in my previous career.

My best edu, was a very disciplined apprenticeship taught largely by Eastern Europe escapees / immigrants to USA. That career fed my family very well, and every day was very creative. (and PRECISE...). I took significant pay cuts when I transferred to Engineering (5 different times) to help release new products.

Another goal is to become more proficient at financial management (since everyone in USA is supposed to be a 401k Money manger. )

One of my kids is taking the final series of CFA test, that seems adequately difficult (and now much harder than yrs past... highest 'pass' rate in 2006, wonder why...). Chartered Financial Analyst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actuarial exams / career would be another disciplined study and a much better paying career (If I was 30 yrs younger). Actuarial exam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities