Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

I took between 6 and 8 classes for most of my college career.
Sometimes I would get 1 credit hour for a four hour lab that took even more hours outside prepping and homework, etc.
Anyway, graduated with a 3.67.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Writing an essay would be easier than doing math, especially when you gotta go through all the material to find out how to even start the problem etc. That's frustrating and harder than writing an essay, for instance.
Depends on where your strenghts lie. Hubby can write in his sleep, but has problems with basic algebra, while I can "do numbers" in my sleep, and writing is a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I can't take more than 12, because I work full time! But I salute you for trying..I wish I had the luxury to not have to work.
Me too! I only take 1-2 courses per semester because I work full time. I wish I could take more.
Have you two thought about online classes? I take a few (they aren't offered at my campus, but they are at sister schools), and I love them. I can be doing homework at 3am and it's no big deal. For most things I prefer them, but for technical stuff, like higher math or sciences I would rather be in class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I did them over the summer. Two classes over the summer is much more manageable than 6 classes during the regular semester -- for me.
I wish I could afford summer classes. It would be easier all around, but my FA only covers 2 semester a year, and I would NOT sacrifice spring or fall (being able to take 19 or 22 credits) semester to take a max of 9 credits in the summer.

As for me, yeah I have taken 18 (did last semester) and I will take 18 again this coming semester, although I have to have a couple of "gimmie classes" like "The History of Rock and Roll music" and "History of Women in America"; I need a few more "Cultural Humanities classes, lol!

So this semester coming up, should be easy enough.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
I took 12-21. Success varied. One semester I took 19 credit hours, but only comeplted 12. My grades were not good. DUring that semester my GF of 2 years dumped me, my best friend tried to commit suicide and another close friend died in a car accident. Another semester, I took 21 credit hours completed the all with a 4.0 for the semester while working 20 plus hours a week and commuting 55 miles each way to school and coahing the local high school debate team. A lot depends on you. I perform better under pressure.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
we didnt go by the credit hour system, but i dont think i ever took more than 5 classes. normal was 4. the "core" of a class was 2.5 hours a week but some classes had labs and discussion sections as well.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
During grad school, I regularly took 16-18 credits per semester. Which is a huge deal, as 9 is full time, and 12 or 15 is when you need permission. Usually about a 3.5 GPA. Worked as a TA.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer22 View Post
Me too! I only take 1-2 courses per semester because I work full time. I wish I could take more.
If I didn't have to work it would only take about two years to get my bachelors.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
I was in college in the sixties, and we were on a quarter system.

Fortunately, scholarships covered pretty much all my expenses and I did not have to work. I also exempted four freshman courses and received credit for three more based on examination, so that took some pressure off.

I never took more than 3 courses at a time, but they were a combination of honors courses and lab courses. Lab courses took more time but were not given separate hours credit.

At that time an "overload" was four courses, and I doubt if anyone doing lab courses would do that. I do not think you were allowed to take more than four.

Nerd that I am, I had very little social life.

Final GPA 4.10. Summa with honors.

If had needed to take four courses, I could have done it. Glad I did not need to do so.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
At my school, you could take between 15 and 18 credit hours without either endangering your grants (by taking too few credits) or paying for extra credits. One full-time class equaled 4 credits, while a "half-time" class was two. A full-time class met for a little over and hour three times a week (usually Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), one hour and 40 minutes two times a week (usually Tuesday and Thursday), or for a three-hour session once a week (usually between 4 and 7 p.m.).

In my freshman year, I did two 18-credit semesters: 4 classes each as well as the "freshman seminar". I did fine and didn't find school strenuous at all, although most of my classes were in the humanities and therefore probably easier than the sciences or the maths. I also believe I took 18 credits my fall semester of my junior year, where I only went to campus on two days a week - Tuesday and Thursday. I actually felt I spent too little time on campus then, but that was the best semester I can remember. I would arise every morning at 7, leave at 7:30, arrive at 8. My first class was Global Peace & Conflict at 8, then I went to "German Crime Stories" (no joke, it was devoted to reading and analyzing German crime novels and movies from the 18th to 20th century - I did a screenplay for my final project) at 10, then "Cultural Anthropology" at 12, on Thursdays I went to Latin Films at 2, and finally "The World After 1945" at 4 on Tuesdays. It was a good schedule except during the end of the semester, when walking from the parking lot to the main campus building in -45 windchills was torturous. But I only had anything resembling difficulty in December when I had to write about 100 pages of text in less than three weeks (my classes seemed to have a final essay more than a final exam). I did it though!

Probably the hardest semester for me was the second to last, in which I only completed 14 credits (I delayed the capstone, a degree requirement, to the next semester). I missed about six weeks of school because of brain surgery, and when I returned I was not quite in solid mental condition, but I finished it with a 3.5 GPA.

I did not have much of a social life outside school in college, but this was not due to any credits I took on, but because of where I lived, and probably the fact that I did not live on campus like most students the first and second years of school.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
I took 15-16 my first year. Then I realized it wasn't that big a deal, and I took 19, but one or two credits was usually a fun sports class (I took gymnastics, tennis, tumbling, and trampolining!)

I was an MIS major through the business school, and I already had 45 credits coming into school thanks to my AP classes, so I didn't have to take any heavy reading classes. It was all programming and problem solving, which was much more satisfying to me. I was able to graduate in 2.5 years.

For grad school, I took a weekend program so I could continue to work my (more than) full time job as an IT consultant. I had classes for 12 hours every/other weekend (4 hours Fri/8 hours Sat). It was only 6 credits a semester. I'm not sure I could have handled another class since it was so reading/writing intensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities