Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM

285 posts, read 850,221 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I am considering going back to college for a full time program, but it would require quitting my job or at least scaling back quite a bit for the program I want to enter.

Has anybody on here done this? If so, how did you make it work? I have car payments, a mortgage, etc. It frightens me to think about trying to pay all my debts while I'm back in college with limited hours but it's something that I feel I really need to do personally and professionally. Getting a low-paying night job wouldn't be out of the question, but I can't count on it in a small town like this as any job is in high demand.

Can anybody provide advice or stories on how you did it or how it worked out?

Thanks a bunch everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
Hello everybody,

I am considering going back to college for a full time program, but it would require quitting my job or at least scaling back quite a bit for the program I want to enter.

Has anybody on here done this? If so, how did you make it work? I have car payments, a mortgage, etc. It frightens me to think about trying to pay all my debts while I'm back in college with limited hours but it's something that I feel I really need to do personally and professionally. Getting a low-paying night job wouldn't be out of the question, but I can't count on it in a small town like this as any job is in high demand.

Thanks a bunch everybody
I did it to get through my grad program.

I was getting unemployment and living with my parents part of the time and on my own the other half. I also was a TA for a semester so that paid for one semester of school.

All in all, I came out with under 5 grand of debt.

If you have a lot of payments, it will be tough, maybe impossible to do a daytime program. You may need to sell your house or rent it out.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,

Thanks a bunch everybody
When I went back to school, I went back to the restaurant biz. That allowed me the flexibility to create a work schedule around the courses that I needed, and wanted, to take. It also allowed me to save on food since I ate at work quite often and/or took meals home. To add, I worked full time while going to school full time, which put me in a situation where I had little free time. Hence, I wasn't spending much money. I also got rid of my car and rode a bus to school or biked. Even though my car was paid in full, I saved around $500 a month by not paying for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. That really helped. I understand that most people could not conceive their lives without a car, but it is not that terrible of an experience. If you must have a vehicle, sell your current car, have someone take over the payments, and get a beater of sorts with good gas mileage and a lower insurance rate.

There were other changes, too, but those are not worth mentioning here. I can say, though, that in order to make it happen you will need to streamline your life, habits, etc. Get rid of cable television, for example. Drop your gym membership, if you have one, and use the gym at school, etc., etc..

It's amazing to realize how little we actually need in order to live a comfortable life. And unless you have access to a trust fund, cutting out everything that is [literally] non-essential to remain a living human being must be cut out. Without making sacrifices, you will struggle financially and drop out of school or find your self getting further and further behind in your bills.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
In 2001 I had a decent 60K/year analytical chemist job, but I quit it to go back to get my PhD. With a PhD, I had to postdoc at 50K/year for two years before I got the academic job that I wanted. I would do it over again without hesitation.

In the current job market, I probably would hesitate before quitting a steady job.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM

69 posts, read 268,562 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,

Thanks a bunch everybody
In our economic situation now, no, I wouldn't quit my job to go back to school.

There is no guarantee that you will get your job back or get another one with similar pay once you get your degree.

If you have a family plus all the bills, having no job nor any income would be tough.

If you can go to school in a non-traditional route (night classes or online), consider that option.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:00 PM

285 posts, read 850,221 times
I'd like to thank everybody who gave advice and stories of their own situation.

I don't have a family, it is just myself and fiance but she would keep her job and I would have to leave mine or at least heavily cut back on hours. We could also do with one less car and a few less amenities. It seems like many of you have done it so there is hope, but it still seems to be an "iffy" situation.

I will look over everything and see how much I can cut back to really know if I can get through this.

Thanks again

Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I got PAID to quit my job, THEN PAID to go back to School. THAT was GREAT!!! (even @ post age 50).

Personally in your situation, I would do some serious number crunching on cost / benefit. I got 3 of my 4 degrees while working full time (and much more... 3 PT jobs + farming+ Caregiving).

If you are going to get a substantial degree (Rocket Science / SURE job over $100k) then I MIGHT consider quitting (After my (solo) finances were adequate (MINE... not mine + GF). There is no way I would rely on ANYONE (GF, Parent, rich uncle, spouse, child...) to feather my bed while I was going to school to get a 'what if' degree).

Run the numbers and consider the costs (as well as lost opportunity... job now and later)

Not knowing your career field / opportunities it is quite tough to make 'informed' advice.

Good luck. (FWIW... career / wage income played little role in my lifelong accumulated 'wealth / earnings'. It is my opinion that wage income will be minimally effective as a strategy of wealth building moving forward in US economy. JMHO)

Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
MY REAL ADVICE: Search for another job w/ Tuition Reimbursement. Even a job which doesn't pay a lot. As long as the work's not too challenging, staying there while having the company pay for classes is the wisest.
List of jobs that offer TUITION REIMBURSEMENT , even to part time college age students

Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
If you have all those expenses then why would you even consider quitting your job and freakin' going to college?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
I received grants that paid for tuition. My mother helped me cover my living expenses which is only rent and food. I'm in my last year and my grandmother is sending me $ from overseas to finish my degree.

I never asked for help, but my family really wants me to graduate from the school I'm in instead of where I was before so they have made sacrifices for me. I must admit, I'm very lucky to have a family like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities