Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM

69 posts, read 268,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I received grants that paid for tuition. My mother helped me cover my living expenses which is only rent and food. I'm in my last year and my grandmother is sending me $ from overseas to finish my degree.

I never asked for help, but my family really wants me to graduate from the school I'm in instead of where I was before so they have made sacrifices for me. I must admit, I'm very lucky to have a family like this.
I'm sure a lot of families would do what your family did if they have extra cash to give out all the time.

Most families live paycheck to paycheck and don't have that extra cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
I worked full-time and went to school straight from work. I was lucky enough that:

1. I could have a flexible start time at work that allowed me to get to college in time for 4PM classes so I could take 2 classes per night if I needed to do it.
2. I did my first 2 years at a community college within 5 miles of where I worked.
3. The community college offered one day a week 3 hour classes, a godsend for people who work full time and go to school at night because you have a weekend between classes to do reading, homework and studying for tests if you are taking 4 classes per semester.
4. I transferred to a University in my Junior year which was less than 10 miles from my job making it still easy to take a 4PM class. The University did not offer 3 hour classes once a week meaning I had to go two times a week for one class. For a Mon/Wed class or Tues/Thurs class it was difficult to get home assignments done for Wednesday's and Thursday's classes and easier to get them done for Monday's and Tuesday's classes because of the weekend in between.
5. My boss encouraged me.
6. I put myself through college and graduated with zero debt.
7. Three days after my last final, I moved out of state on the day I should have attended my graduation ceremony, for a promotion.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
I left a very secure mid-level corporate job in '93 to go to Michigan to get a Ph.D. in sociology. Some people thought I was nuts, some thought it sounded like fun. I just knew I didn't want to wake up some day and regret all the years I had put into a job that was not satisfying even though it paid well. Some things are more important than money, and for me, job satisfaction, work autonomy, etc., are in that category.

BUT I only did it because (1) I got into a top Ph.D. program so figured my academic job prospects would be good (and they were, although academia is always a bit of a crap shoot); (2) because it was a top program, I was funded basically the whole time I was there (i.e. paid no tuition, earned a monthly stipend); and (3) I was on my own, other than my cats (who of course moved with me), so didn't have to worry about a spouse, kids, etc.

I got an academic job after I graduated. My quality of life is amazing, and the pay might not be corporate level but it is more than enough to live on, save for the future, etc. I have not regretted my decision for a second.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,019,702 times
Step one: Get into the honors society.
Step two: Get REALLY good grades in your honors classes.

My friends did this and got their entire masters degree paid for + some pocket change (working for their professor). I also max out my loans, but I wouldn't suggest ANYONE do that.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,019,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
7. Three days after my last final, I moved out of state on the day I should have attended my graduation ceremony, for a promotion.
I'm glad to hear this. I had to quit my job as they were NOT being cooperative with my decision to go to school.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,249 times
Default Quit and go back to school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
In 2001 I had a decent 60K/year analytical chemist job, but I quit it to go back to get my PhD. With a PhD, I had to postdoc at 50K/year for two years before I got the academic job that I wanted. I would do it over again without hesitation.

In the current job market, I probably would hesitate before quitting a steady job.
This is very much my situation. I have a steady analytical chemist job making almost this much. The difference for me is when I started this 4 years ago I was told they would work with me so I could finish my B.S. degree. That never happened bc they refused to allow me to attend daytime classes. 4 years later I'm hating my job and the ridiculous demands. I'm not sure what I want to do to be quite honest. I'm 27 having a quarter life breakdown but all I know is I want to finish my degree. In what? I'm not quite sure, but do I quit work and go back to school full time??

Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 AM

244 posts, read 415,069 times
The only way I was able to return to school was through help I receive from my husband. I was making $65,000 a year waiting tables at a fine dining restaurant full-time, but I hated my job and knew I couldn't do it forever.

I quit, got a job at my school in the accounting department (I am an accounting major) making peanuts, and cut back significantly on my expenses. No cable, take the bus constantly, eat at home nearly exclusively, and stopped any and all "fun" things with friends.

I am blessed that the only things I have to pay for now are my cellphone and groceries. Without my husband I would have had to remain at the restaurant and attend school part-time.

Because I am blessed, I take 18 credits each semester, attend full-time (12 credits) over the summers, and I plan on taking a class during the two quick semesters, "Januaryester and Mayester" that is offered inbetween to help speed up my graduation dates.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:08 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,939 times
This is the week for resurrected threads from 2012

I left a decent paying job to go back for my PhD. My husband left his job a year later (we had to relocate across the country for the school). I had my tuition funded and an additional stipend. I was able to secure a paid pre-doc internship. My husband hasn't been able to get solid paying jobs and it's an expensive area, so we have been living lean (did I mention we also had 3 kids?) for the past several years. I also took on a few extra jobs to try to make ends meet and keep us in a home. Now in my post-doc, I'm making a bit more (almost what I made in my previous job), and I've been continuing to work extra jobs. My earning power will go up again in another year or so and that will be much needed.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
I currently work part time 24, but offered 32 hour position at work. I usually am able to work full time for 5 months of the year 3 1/2 months in the Summer and 1 1/2 in the Winter (School is usually out by then or an online class.) Now if all goes to plan looking to be accepted into a nursing program next fall. Hoping can stick out 32 hours until February of 2018 then drop to 24. A coworker does an accelerated nursing program and works 24 hours. No idea how he survives ha.

As of right now I pay $1300 a month in bills hoping by January 18 to knock that down to $1200 a month. Hope to have a little saved over.

Coworkers say my work will be flexible see how it is. The nursing program I want to go into meets M-T I be able to work Thursday & Friday (Possibly a double). Then work my weekend on.

Love if work could give me this schedule:
Week 1: Sunday 7 to 3; Off Monday through Wednesday; Work Thursday 3-12; Friday Work 7a to 12a; Off Saturday

Week 2: Off Sunday; Off Monday through Thursday; Work a double Friday 7a to 12a; Saturday work 3 to 12

Or Work

Week 1: Sunday 7 to 3; Off Monday through Wednesday; Work Thursday 3-12; Friday Work 3p to 12a; Off Saturday

Week 2: Off Sunday; Off Monday through Thursday; Work a double Friday 7a to 12a; Saturday work 3 to 12

My fiance should be done by the time I start school so that'll help alleviate some of the burden with rent.

It's nerve racking for sure.

If I don't get accepted into the program I want the hours are wonky for the other programs. That'll make it difficult to balance work and school.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:41 PM

428 posts, read 487,522 times
If you can swing, I say more power to you! Hope it all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities