Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 AM

27 posts, read 89,256 times

Advertisements

I'd respect a nurse more than an attorney, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Honestly, I think the only people who respect lawyers are other lawyers. I think society as a whole thinks very ill of lawyers. And lawyers earn that reputation. Look at all the television commercials with obnoxious accident attorneys or the predatory trial attorneys who ask if you have taken certain medication so that they can make money off you and add you to a class action suit. But nurses are respected by everyone and considered heroes.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-27-2009 at 02:07 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,103 times
Default You're part right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
You have a lot to learn my dear. As an APRN (and >30 years nursing experience), I am not "a professional medical resident", nor do I "run it by the attending". "....not much different than what most physicians do anyway..." is certainly not the attitude to exhibit if you want to develop working relationships with physicians and other practitioners. My nurse anesthetist colleagues would disagree with your plan of going from one version of advanced practice to another. Most CRNAs I know love their jobs and wouldn't trade it for another. Good luck in your current program

You're right, NP's are not professional medical residents. Residents are doctors, nurse practitioners are advance practicing NURSES! I don't understand why there are nurses out there who thinks NP's are same as doctors. I have many of my classmates in medical school who were nurses before they started medical school. Which proves that if these RN's think NP training is good enough, they wouldn't have went on to medical school to become real doctors!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Honestly, I think the only people who respect lawyers are other lawyers. I think society as a whole thinks very ill of lawyers. And lawyers earn that reputation. Look at all the television commercials with obnoxious accident attorneys or the predatory trial attorneys who ask if you have taken certain medication so that they can make money off you and add you to a class action suit. But nurses are respected by everyone and considered heroes.
Yes and no, IMHO. As a whole lawyers get a bad rap, but on the individual level if someone says they're a lawyer it doesn't register negatively, at least for me.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:56 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1981 View Post
......... Which proves that if these RN's think NP training is good enough, they wouldn't have went on to medical school to become real doctors!
Excuse me? It definitely does not prove anything of the sort. What an arrogant thing to say!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 PM

78 posts, read 225,568 times
Default My 2 cents

One thing to keep in mind is the requirements for each when you are all done with school. I am a lawyer. One of the limitations I think is the ability to pick up and move if need be. Sure, I can practice in the same stte where I passed the bar, but if I went to another state, I may have to take the bar exam all over again. I am a member of the California bar (3 day bar exam - 18 hours total) and a member of the District of Columbia Bar. I am not sure where you are at, but check into reciprocity with the state you may want to practice in. Some states allow you to become a member of their bar (without examination) if you are a member of another bar that allows such reciprocity. For example, if you are a member of the bar in Oregon, that state allows you to enter if you are also a member of Washington or Utah. And vice versa with those states.

I joined the DC bar to have some ability to move to another state if need be. Just somthing to think about. I know one thing for sure...although I passed the CA bar on the first try, the bar exam can be brutal and I do not want to take it again!!

I am sure a PA requires boards and other exams, I am just not aware of what requirements would be required if you left to practice in another state. I would check that as well.

By the way, I know quite a few lawyers who also went to med school. So if you desire, why not do both. The lawyers I know do medical malpractice work, where they can utilize their medical backgrounds and education while practicing law. May be the best of both worlds for you...

Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
Default Unemployed Lawyer

I see this initial post was made long ago but I still wanted to chime in and offer my 2 cents to anyone contemplating being an attorney.

After completing my J.D. and getting licensed in 2 states I was not able to find a job. I then stupidly completed an LLM in Taxation program. Still no job for me 2 years later. I lost everything, not just from a money standpoint but from a mental, physical and spiritual one as well.

Its not just me either. I know more people in my graduating law school class who ended up unemployed then ones who found attorney jobs. As for prestige or social recognition? At this point in the game I could care less about how society views me or the legal profession because I'm feeling pretty cheated. I'm not complaining or saying that its not possible to do well in law but its very frustrating when you put in 4 years of undergrad, 3 in a J.D. and 1 in an LLM to find out that there is no jobs. 8 years of my life and $160,000 in debt and no legal job. All I got was for my efforts was one heck of a burnt out shell of a once ambitious and fun loving individual.

However, this sad footnote in my life will not dictate the the final outcome of my existence here on this earth. I'm going to start a nursing program this fall and become an RN.

Life is too short to sit around and feel sorry for myself and there may be redemption for me yet in serving others in need. I will not become a bitter person and be a drain on society like so many of my former peers in the legal field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities