Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

US college enrollments are dropping, and as long as American students aren't be left out of the process what's the big deal? The answer by some seems to be to restrict international students which would result in layoffs and downsizing in higher education. That doesn't seem like a good idea right now, does it???

Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 AM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
It's always about the money. Universities are money-hungry so I don't think there are going to be less foreign students admitted any time soon. Being an Asian myself, the reasons some groups stick to their own kind is because they're more relatable. People in Asia, especially when they go out to another country, are a bit more reserved because they know it's a different lifestyle here and they don't want to give away too much. Also, as others have mentioned it, education and career is a priority, so it's really no surprised they would do so much as to pay full tuition to another contient to get the right education.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
US college enrollments are dropping, and as long as American students aren't be left out of the process what's the big deal? The answer by some seems to be to restrict international students which would result in layoffs and downsizing in higher education. That doesn't seem like a good idea right now, does it???
College enrollments hit an all time high in 2010. They have dropped slightly since them but I don't think you can make a big deal of a slight drop from the all time high.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
My son returned to his small liberal arts college this fall and was shocked when he looked around campus. It seemed like over half of the Freshman class was now international students. The leaders of the college are quite proud of this and say they are going to promote the college to international students and increase the diversity of the student body.

My son says while it can be interesting to have SOME students from overseas he wonders where to draw the line. What is a logical percentage of students to have from overseas? 40%, 50%, 70%?

The problem with the foreign students is they have balkanized the student body. Most of the international students are from either Korea, India or China and each group of these students just divide up into their own groups and have nothing to do with people from the other countries. He reports that the American students try hard to be inclusive and welcome and befriend the foreign students but rarely do they react in kind. And the Korean, Chinese or Indian students are openly hostile to each other and only socialize with students from their own country.

The second problem with all the foreign students is that with each person the college lets in from lets say China, an American born student who works hard, gets a great ACT/SAT score and dreams about going to that college all his life is shut out.

I agree, American colleges should let in foreign students for a variety of reasons but how much is to much? Lets debate!
They do this because they pay double or 3 times as much as you in tuition.
I think it's a sleazy way of making money, especially since our Colleges aren't much better, if any "better" at all, than the ones in their home countries and you're basically ripping off students and their families. NO College in the U.S. is worth 15k per semester ( public school, or 35 k private school).

Old 11-24-2012, 03:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
My son returned to his small liberal arts college this fall and was shocked when he looked around campus. It seemed like over half of the Freshman class was now international students. The leaders of the college are quite proud of this and say they are going to promote the college to international students and increase the diversity of the student body.

My son says while it can be interesting to have SOME students from overseas he wonders where to draw the line. What is a logical percentage of students to have from overseas? 40%, 50%, 70%?

The problem with the foreign students is they have balkanized the student body. Most of the international students are from either Korea, India or China and each group of these students just divide up into their own groups and have nothing to do with people from the other countries. He reports that the American students try hard to be inclusive and welcome and befriend the foreign students but rarely do they react in kind. And the Korean, Chinese or Indian students are openly hostile to each other and only socialize with students from their own country.

The second problem with all the foreign students is that with each person the college lets in from lets say China, an American born student who works hard, gets a great ACT/SAT score and dreams about going to that college all his life is shut out.

I agree, American colleges should let in foreign students for a variety of reasons but how much is to much? Lets debate!
It's not much different at large state universities either.

It's HUGE incentive to get foreign students as they pay the highest tuition rates at a school.

If a college applicant has good SAT/ACT scores and grades he or she is going to get into a good school. All this "This person is taking a spot" is bull. If you've get a good GPA and good SAT/ACT scores you are going to get into a good school.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
BS I go to one of the aforementioned. Look at the list of 2012 Rhodes Scholars. There are 1000s of Universities in America. Only 4 schools are represented on this list.

If you want an elite job in banking, consulting, law you must attend an elite school...no discussion. fullstop...unless your dad is a c-level officer in the firm in question.

However, there are Yale grads that don't appear to have their stuff together but it's lower percentage than people who went to Kent state.

What gets me, as I apply for internships this summer, is that some companies are only considering the top 50 and even 25% of the class...I headr before the recession these hurdles did not exist.
It's competitive out there.

You just have to step up your game.

And no life isn't fair.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Yeah, right!!! Like we're going to believe that.

The football players won't even sit with science majors for 30 minutes. The cheerleaders won't be friends with chess club members, and you're telling me that American kids try HARD to be long term friends with foreign students?

The ones that are trying HARD are the ones who wants to get into these female foreign students' pants. No pun intended.
You post is very much on point. For the post part college students self-segregate by race, income level (or parent's income level ), fraternity and other social criteria.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
They do this because they pay double or 3 times as much as you in tuition.
I think it's a sleazy way of making money, especially since our Colleges aren't much better, if any "better" at all, than the ones in their home countries and you're basically ripping off students and their families. NO College in the U.S. is worth 15k per semester ( public school, or 35 k private school).

Sorry to bust your bubble to the colleges in the United States tend to be some of the best in the world.

QS World University Rankings - Topuniversities

That's why so many foreign students want to come here.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:52 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:

!
Nobody is owed admission into a private college. They get to decide what kind of class they want to bring in. If there was one notion I'd like to divorce the American populace from, it's that your kid working hard and getting good grades does mean colleges are obligated to admit them or else it is not "fair". Pretty much everyone applying worked hard and got good grades. That does not make you a special snowflake.

Anyway, I think it works that there is variety in colleges. If some institutions wants to become half international students, then fine. Since this is a new thing for them it will take them a minute to work out the kinks. I bet the students affairs division is trying to figure out how to promote interaction between groups on campus as we speak.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 AM

201 posts, read 490,883 times
Adding all those foreign students so quickly has changed the social and academic dynamic and has further cut the campus into competiting groups of students who do not really have anything to do with each other. Before the dividing line was nerds and jocks, now the situation is even more severe with rival groups of Indians, Koreans and Chinese who don't like and trust each other. The mood on the campus is off now and lots of students are thinking of transfering. It happened to fast and too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities