Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

*too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How would they get data on private loans? They only have access to so much information. Do you really want your bank to give out all of your lending history?

The point being, the media makes it sound like every college student is borrowing $200,000 to major in art history so they can work at Starbucks. That just isn't the case.

I agree, if you have to borrow $50,000 for UG with no hopes of getting a good job to pay it off, you should have gone to an affordable college. Now, if you are going to be making $70K out of undergrad and borrow 50K and are reasonably frugal, you can have that paid off in 5 years or less, not an issue really--not ideal, but still manageable.
... Wouldn't be much to read.... No I don't, but you miss the point.

What's the point of making statements with incomplete data?

I'm against sensationolism in the news media.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
... Wouldn't be much to read.... No I don't, but you miss the point.

What's the point of making statements with incomplete data?

I'm against sensationolism in the news media.
You are against sensationalism but you are talking about 200k in loans? Ok...

Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
If you borrow more than 50k for undergrad in most cases you are not very bright.
Or not very rich...My tuition/living expenses over two years was about $40k alone ($20k/year), at a public university. With as little financial aid that I received, I had to cover most of this through loans (federal and private). Fortunately, my first two years of school were paid for by grants, scholarships, tuition reimbursement and out of pocket. Could I have been more frugal or wiser with my spending? Sure, but at most, I figure that would have saved me about $5k/year.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Or not very rich...My tuition/living expenses over two years was about $40k alone ($20k/year), at a public university. With as little financial aid that I received, I had to cover most of this through loans (federal and private). Fortunately, my first two years of school were paid for by grants, scholarships, tuition reimbursement and out of pocket. Could I have been more frugal or wiser with my spending? Sure, but at most, I figure that would have saved me about $5k/year.
Yup that's true, a lot of undergrads don't qualify for a lot, or any, financial aid because of their parents income. I think that goes until they reach 24, then they consider you independent. Also keep in mind a undergrad maybe in the six figures and half that can just be interest built up from deferments and what not.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
At some point as the quality of school and student drops off it is not a smart decision to go.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Yup that's true, a lot of undergrads don't qualify for a lot, or any, financial aid because of their parents income. I think that goes until they reach 24, then they consider you independent. Also keep in mind a undergrad maybe in the six figures and half that can just be interest built up from deferments and what not.
No one with a brain has six figures from undergrad. If one does they have made a horrible school choice or are not a good student.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Like I said if they defer that while in school, can't find a job after school, etc then a lot of that becomes interest.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Like I said if they defer that while in school, can't find a job after school, etc then a lot of that becomes interest.
How long would a person be unemployed for that 6.8% is going to have a life-long impact? 6 months to a year is not going to make a difference in the long run.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are against sensationalism but you are talking about 200k in loans? Ok...

And $0... don't forget the $0.

You also missed the part about the news media by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities