Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,771,493 times

Advertisements

Note: The national college entrance exam still includes English. Only the universities' own tests dropped English.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/wo...fs25.html?_r=0

Chinese Universities Drop English Requirement
By CALVIN YANG

Chinese universities drop English exam requirement

Some top universities in China are no longer requiring an English test as part of their recruitment exams, according to a report by Xinhua, the state news agency. At some universities, engineering and science applicants now are required to take only mathematics and physics examinations, while arts applicants will need to take only tests in Chinese and mathematics, Xinhua reported March 16, the same day that many universities held their own recruitment examinations.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-29-2013 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: LINK and snippet (no more then 3 sentences) please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM

8,097 posts, read 7,473,238 times
So China has now become so affluent they can afford to "dumb down" their college admission requirements. That sure was fast, but I guess it happens to everyone.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
So China has now become so affluent they can afford to "dumb down" their college admission requirements. That sure was fast, but I guess it happens to everyone.
Those are top universities. The students certainly have a decent command of English.
They just want to be more focused: math and physics for STEM students; and math and Chinese for arts students.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 AM

844 posts, read 1,659,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Chinese educators have no idea how to teach English. In the past decades, "strict" English requirement for admission was adopted but less than 1% students turned out to be proficient in English.

So they decided to give up. English proficiency is unattainable.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Chinese educators have no idea how to teach English. In the past decades, "strict" English requirement for admission was adopted but less than 1% students turned out to be proficient in English.

Compared to Japanese and Koreans, the English proficiency of Chinese students is not really too bad.
The east is the east, their languages have zero similarities with English.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,559,574 times
I was amazed when I visited China how few people spoke English. Not that we expected citizens to be bi-lingual, but from traveling to other parts of the world, it was surprising. When my daughter taught there she told us that she would go for days without hearing English from anyone other then her roommate or her few ex-pat friends. The school where she taught gave lip service to teaching English, but they really just wanted bragging rights that they had a native English speaker.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,844,312 times
What's the issue here exactly?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,397,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What's the issue here exactly?
Our own top universities do not have foreign language requirements either.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post

Well, English can be darn confusing, even for native speakers. English is also taught in a "formal" manner, which is completely different from how English speakers actually speak and/or write English. Growing up in California, I took Spanish as it seemed the most logical foreign language for me to learn. Most Spanish-speaking students took Spanish, too, which I thought was silly until I realized the Spanish we are taught at American institutions is actually the Spanish from Spain, which is different from the Spanish in Mexico, or Columbia. Native Spanish speakers could easily point out those who learned Spanish from a textbook from those who learned it from real-life interactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I was amazed when I visited China how few people spoke English. Not that we expected citizens to be bi-lingual, but from traveling to other parts of the world, it was surprising. When my daughter taught there she told us that she would go for days without hearing English from anyone other then her roommate or her few ex-pat friends. The school where she taught gave lip service to teaching English, but they really just wanted bragging rights that they had a native English speaker.
I knew people who taught English in foreign countries. Essentially, they taught American English to those who already had a decent understanding of English to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Our own top universities do not have foreign language requirements either.
I am not sure about the top U.S. universities, but there are some that do require a foreign language. However, it is more common for a particular major to require it, not the entire school. One school I was looking at required two years of foreign language or proof of proficiency for a BS in Biology, and all BA in Biology programs that I was aware of also required two semesters of foreign language in lieu of the extra biology courses required for the BS.

STEM students wishing to continue on into graduate school used to need proficiency in a foreign language-most often Latin- as required by admissions, but that has since been dropped.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,559,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I knew people who taught English in foreign countries. Essentially, they taught American English to those who already had a decent understanding of English to begin with.
My daughter taught in an elementary school. I know many college grads that do a year of teaching English in an Asian country and it's not for adults. My daughter did have a couple of private students, one a young girl and another an adult who wanted to learn conversational English.

I agree that Chinese and English are about as far from one another as you can get.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities