Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM

151 posts, read 220,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
The job market has changed in that significantly more people are going to college than they were 30 years ago. So "just having a degree" is not quite as attractive to potential employers as it once was. Also back then it was much easier to advance in your career without a degree.
Really? please show the supporting evidence because that is not what the unemployment statstics say.

If you don't want to go to college don't go but please don't make broad statements that are not true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Worse at what?

You realize that LA degrees are not vocational? You don't study history and then go work at the history factory.
Worse at helping someone get a job (just based on unemployment statistics).

I know they are not vocational. And I maintain that's it's a moral crime for colleges to accept so much money from poor and working class people to study frivolous subjects that will "enrich" them while they stand in the unemployment line.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 PM

991 posts, read 1,112,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
But that's the problem - WHAT careers are they developing?? They aren't thinking that at all. They aren't thinking about a career because they have no idea what they want to do or can do or even what jobs are out there. They are just choosing a subject they like and assuming one of those jobs on the departments major recruitment list will happen for them.
I just don't think you can say this about most LA majors. Are their some that are ticked when they graduate because they can't get a corner office and a dream title? Sure. Do you know what we call these people? Suckers who fell for slick marketing campaigns. This happens to many engineering and CS grads too BTW (it's not all rainbows and lollipops for every major out there these days).

I find most people in LA are realists about the life they are getting into.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM

743 posts, read 1,322,353 times
Quote:
I am not even implying that business is any better. Today one has to build a career path, of which college is only one part. But in the case of LA, it's not a useful part.
Agree to disagree. We obviously live in different worlds. In your world vocational training for a career is best. Just know that people not as old as you will have to retrain and retrain again and again to have a "career".

In my world adaptability is best. I need to be able to be the one that redefines my role, my value to my employer. Or I need to have the human capital to branch out and create my own venture.

I've offered a myriad of articles, studies, and statistics that backup my worldview. I'd love to see some from you.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,309,816 times
Quote:

I know they are not vocational. And I maintain that's it's a moral crime for colleges to accept so much money from poor and working class people to study frivolous subjects that will "enrich" them while they stand in the unemployment line.
That's a students choice to make. No one is promising anyone anything in this job market. Everyone is going to graduate knowing its going to be difficult. Some more than others. Anyone in any major thinking that anything is guaranteed to them is going to get hosed-regardless.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM

743 posts, read 1,322,353 times
Quote:

Far more people are employed with LA credentials than engineering credentials. And I don't even know if your assertion is true. The unemployment rates in CA (first google hit) for Civil Engineers is 8.2% v English 7.0%:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/09/510...21370234213917

Relatively speaking there aren't many students from the bottom 40% of the income distribution AT college. Much less studying the liberal arts.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I would strongly advise those seeking LA degrees not considering professional studies after college that they need to be "out-of-the-box" thinkers, be willing to wait tables for a while, and be comfortable with struggling a bit here and there after college. Again, if you want a "pre-defined" path and your definition of success is money, promotions, and status symbols, then an LA degree is probably not for you.
That's fine for people with money. It's not fine for people trying to support a family and who will need to pay back large student loans in return for this education. Also, you talk about money like it's a bad thing and people just want it for status reasons. When you have a family to support, NOT making money is a bad thing. It's irresponsible and your children suffer for it. There is nothing virtuous about poverty when your children are in it.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,502,188 times
Because they're purely following their passions/interests.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM

991 posts, read 1,112,171 times
Okay, I will admit my experience is from a single college grad (now with a SO) who has never had any children, and went to college after high school. If you are outside of the traditional college student window or have children I can understand if that's a game changer.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,309,816 times
Quote:
That's fine for people with money. It's not fine for people trying to support a family and who will need to pay back large student loans in return for this education. Also, you talk about money like it's a bad thing and people just want it for status reasons. When you have a family to support, NOT making money is a bad thing. It's irresponsible and your children suffer for it. There is nothing virtuous about poverty when your children are in it.
And there are plenty of parents out there working horrendous hours and coming home to their kids miserable and exhausted. Seems like that is just as big a problem as not having money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities