Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM

318 posts, read 567,315 times

Advertisements

I left college just full of enthusiasm, energy, drive and technical skills in my career.

But once I hit the corporate world I was caught flat footed. I didn't have a clue how tough it is to make it through the political minefield I have experienced. 45 Semester Hours in Business Administration classes and not one course really taught me how to survive in corporate America. What a shame!

If you read my other posting on the Employment Board about the difficulty I am facing getting the assistance of a tough "take no prisoners" Executive Senior VP, you see that my college training did not prepare me for the corporate rat race. How can college Business Administration Programs teach students the soft skills we really need to survive Corporate America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Gosh, I found it the opposite. The corporate world was 69 times easier than college.

However realize there are dos and don'ts in the corporate world and most likely you will receive "training" (aka liability release) on things like ethics, diversity, ergonomics, harassment, etc. (These classes are "taught" so the company can't get sued. All the company wants is proof you attended - they even give you a charge number. You can sign in and leave - they don't care - once you sign in, they're off the hook.)

For other soft skills, if basically comes down to professionalism and taking responsibility.

But to answer your question, for the most part there are not too many college classes that "teach" what you are asking about - unless it is some sort of co-op intern type thing.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Oops. Wrong thread.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Gosh, I found it the opposite. The corporate world was 69 times easier than college.

However realize there are dos and don'ts in the corporate world and most likely you will receive "training" (aka liability release) on things like ethics, diversity, ergonomics, harassment, etc. (These classes are "taught" so the company can't get sued. All the company wants is proof you attended - they even give you a charge number. You can sign in and leave - they don't care - once you sign in, they're off the hook.)

For other soft skills, if basically comes down to professionalism and taking responsibility.

But to answer your question, for the most part there are not too many college classes that "teach" what you are asking about - unless it is some sort of co-op intern type thing.
The people my age who are surviving the corporate minefield are working in jobs where there is just one right or wrong way to do things or are in solitary jobs that don't involve much interaction with coworkers. If you need others to assist you that you have no power over or need people to buy into your ideas then the problems start.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM

5,523 posts, read 8,781,160 times
There are different corproate Americas and colleges couldn't possibly teach about how to survive in all of them. It's one reason internships are so valuable. They give students a taste of the real world in particular industries. And industries are different.

Working in a button-down investment bank or finance company is different vibe than working in a more free-wheeling Internet company, which is again different than working a white-collar job at a manufacturing company or a news job at a TV station or newspaper or a sales job at Big Pharma. Everyplace has a different level of on the job interaction, corporate politics, life-work balance, etc. That's why the internships are so valuable.

But IMO the big lesson in corproate life, no matter where you are, is this: The first year or two you spend your time trying to fit in. After that you spend your time trying to stand out. IF you can do that well you will likely have a successful career.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,306,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

But IMO the big lesson in corproate life, no matter where you are, is this: The first year or two you spend your time trying to fit in. After that you spend your time trying to stand out.
This is absolutely true. Keep your mouth shut and go with the flow, but produce innovative outside-the-box concepts which don't quite match up with the "role" you're playing. It's fun and definitely a learning curve.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM

But again how does a college student who can't find a great Internship or is given an Internship making copies learn this stuff so they won't fail in the soft skills part of corporate America like I am?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
The people my age who are surviving the corporate minefield are working in jobs where there is just one right or wrong way to do things or are in solitary jobs that don't involve much interaction with coworkers.
Some things have been tested to be the best (cost, time, quality) way and they truly are the one right way to do things.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,451,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
The people my age who are surviving the corporate minefield are working in jobs where there is just one right or wrong way to do things or are in solitary jobs that don't involve much interaction with coworkers. If you need others to assist you that you have no power over or need people to buy into your ideas then the problems start.

How many people your age have you talked to? How long have you had this job? Not sure how college could solve the problems you've cited. When I decided to become certified as a teacher, nothing prepared me for all the problems. I'm considered an expert, so, there's no going around asking anyone anything. No one gave me a plan to follow. Whatever I thought up is what was done. You may not know the score, but, must behave as if you do, else, word will be out that you don't know what you're doing. It isn't the time to present new ideas.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
How many people your age have you talked to? How long have you had this job? Not sure how college could solve the problems you've cited. When I decided to become certified as a teacher, nothing prepared me for all the problems. I'm considered an expert, so, there's no going around asking anyone anything. No one gave me a plan to follow. Whatever I thought up is what was done. You may not know the score, but, must behave as if you do, else, word will be out that you don't know what you're doing. It isn't the time to present new ideas.
A teacher gets to learn all about the challenges of being a teacher in her classes and student teaching. A business person is thrown to the wolves and is told by her instructors and professors the only things that are important is the technical skills. That is a serious problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities