Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

u did say people i personally know? ok here u go.
high end PhD? mostly university faculty they do well --well paid 6 figure people.
master and bachelors? the minorities i know did well esp AA they are recruited by corp or given first shot in gov. hiring EEOC job most good mid to high 5 figure jobs.
the white kids i know with any liberal arts degrees are working at starbucks, kelly girl, or are just hanging around the house while mom and dad pay for their student loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM

117 posts, read 246,894 times
what's a Kelly girl? sorry I've never heard before ^.^

Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
what's a Kelly girl? sorry I've never heard before ^.^
temp.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u did say people i personally know? ok here u go.
high end PhD? mostly university faculty they do well --well paid 6 figure people.
master and bachelors? the minorities i know did well esp AA they are recruited by corp or given first shot in gov. hiring EEOC job most good mid to high 5 figure jobs.
the white kids i know with any liberal arts degrees are working at starbucks, kelly girl, or are just hanging around the house while mom and dad pay for their student loan.
Are you a professor in the southern CA area? Any chance you worked at or with Caltech in the 90's?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Uhh. My friend that you were doubting is the positive variability.

150K is a LOT of $. That is what I'm trying to say to you. Why don't you read the salaries on the rest of my list.

That is a lot of $. You'll be making that in May or June? That's great.

It's a lot of $.
I used to want to be a lawyer, I had the mind set for it, most certainly the intelligence, but as I started to do more and more research on my future career I realized that you have to work a TON of hours. I wasn't too keen on that so I was like ok, I need to just suck it up so I was going for it and well, I saw a relative of mine who went to one of the best law schools in my state. He left here at 250 and when I saw him again, all graduated and all, he was like closer to 400 lbs. Just the stress, staying up late studying the cases and briefs and binge eating was just killing him. He's lost it somewhat now, but he's still bigger than me and chubby.

When he first started out, he got a position with the city only making 37000. That's not a lot, in fact, teachers get paid more than what he makes, but now he's in a higher position and he probably makes around 60-70k. He got married but I think his wife just wants him for money. I know how she is and she is never been the money type, but now she runs around getting manis, pedis, and carrying their stupid poodle in her purse.

I just can't deal with the hours. I know it may not be the best career in the world, but if you can get a masters in education, you can make money. You gotta work smart, not work hard and if I can get 60-75k just being an asst principal, well I would rather do that. I looked up my old asst principal who still works at the district in this area and she makes 90k. That's a lot of money and what's important is that shes off enough to actually SPEND it. What's the point of making 140-200k if you end up working 80-100 hrs a week and can't spend what you make? Yeah you have nice stuff, while you work, other people such as wife and kids are enjoying it. Screw that, I like my toys and I want to play with them.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I used to want to be a lawyer, I had the mind set for it, most certainly the intelligence, but as I started to do more and more research on my future career I realized that you have to work a TON of hours. I wasn't too keen on that so I was like ok, I need to just suck it up so I was going for it and well, I saw a relative of mine who went to one of the best law schools in my state. He left here at 250 and when I saw him again, all graduated and all, he was like closer to 400 lbs. Just the stress, staying up late studying the cases and briefs and binge eating was just killing him. He's lost it somewhat now, but he's still bigger than me and chubby.

When he first started out, he got a position with the city only making 37000. That's not a lot, in fact, teachers get paid more than what he makes, but now he's in a higher position and he probably makes around 60-70k. He got married but I think his wife just wants him for money. I know how she is and she is never been the money type, but now she runs around getting manis, pedis, and carrying their stupid poodle in her purse.

I just can't deal with the hours. I know it may not be the best career in the world, but if you can get a masters in education, you can make money. You gotta work smart, not work hard and if I can get 60-75k just being an asst principal, well I would rather do that. I looked up my old asst principal who still works at the district in this area and she makes 90k. That's a lot of money and what's important is that shes off enough to actually SPEND it. What's the point of making 140-200k if you end up working 80-100 hrs a week and can't spend what you make? Yeah you have nice stuff, while you work, other people such as wife and kids are enjoying it. Screw that, I like my toys and I want to play with them.
There's no right or wrong career. There's nothing wrong with being an assistant principal, and it often allows for a better rounded lifestyle. Attorneys work all the time, which is why I believe people should work in what they are passionate in and success can follow, whether it be being a garbage man or graphic designer or artist or lawyer or attorney or President. The right job is the one you like doing and don't mind pulling hours for (and yes, I believe being a stay-at-home-mom can qualify as a full time job, too). Life is too short not to live it the way you want. Being happy is important.

I'm sorry to hear about his wife. Hopefully it isn't true. I thought the poodle part was cute/funny.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
soci3tycat, no you certainly didn't get the job that you were offered thru normal processes.

You do know what the term nepotism means, don't you?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,517,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I find it somewhat funny about the liberal arts degree argument, that people think you are either going to end up flipping burgers and others think you'll make 100K after 5 years. Of course, I'm in my mid 30s. So, I can present a real snapshot of what such people do.

I picked the first several people on my Facebook page who graduated with liberal arts degrees. They are all in their 30s. Some early, some mid, some pushing 40. Here are the results. (PS. Except the guy with the PsychD. He's pushing 60.)

1) Bachelors from Stanford. Has a MFA as well. Runs her own company, makes very little $ from that, but is from a wealthy family.

2) Bachelors in English from a State Univeristy. Has had different jobs, but mostly has worked for car insurance companies doing various things. Ballpark 45-50K.

3) Doctorate in Psychology. Works for a local hospital counseling drug afflicted teens and young adults. Know this man fairly well, and I would guess from his living style, ballpark ~60K.

4) BA in History from a Top 25 school. Masters in Public Policy from a top school as well. Has bounced around nonprofits in her city for just under a decade. Ballpark ~50K.

5) Bachelors and Masters in Mass Communications. Masters was from NYU. Has worked in PR department of banks and universities for about a decade. Ballpark ~60K.

6) BA History (Ivy League), Masters in Urban Planning. Working for local Transportation conglomerate. Ballpark 50K.

7) Graphic design degree from an art school. Does web and graphic design (mostly web design) for a large international. Ballpark 55K.

8) BA History, Brown University. JD, University of Chicago. Corporate Lawyer for over a decade. Non-partner. Ballpark ~ 150K.
Geez - only $150K, went to U of Chicago Law and has been doing corporate law for over a decade? That's a very low salary with that history!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
soci3tycat, no you certainly didn't get the job that you were offered thru normal processes.

You do know what the term nepotism means, don't you?
Nepotism applies to family members. A top law firm would never hire an unqualified candidate regardless of connections, especially in the legal field. I've seen it in the financial sector, though.

Your passes are interesting, but clearly you don't understand the legal field or hiring of professionals beyond just college degrees.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Geez - only $150K, went to U of Chicago Law and has been doing corporate law for over a decade? That's a very low salary with that history!

Yeah, U of C is literally an amazing law school. Hopefully it's not true. He deserves more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities