Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times

Advertisements

Uh huh. Sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,517,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Haha.. I know lots of these types. Yeah, if someone gets a BA from an Ivy-League school and then graduates from a top 5 law school, then they're set for mucho dinero.
As a matter of fact, a relative went to Stanford undergrad and Georgetown Law, clerked in a coveted assignment, worked in corporate law a few short years - and hated that life and ended up making not mucho dinero but a decent income doing human resources/job placement for attorneys, not big bucks but is much happier.

The corporate law track means you have no life for quite some time.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
There's no right or wrong career. There's nothing wrong with being an assistant principal, and it often allows for a better rounded lifestyle. Attorneys work all the time, which is why I believe people should work in what they are passionate in and success can follow, whether it be being a garbage man or graphic designer or artist or lawyer or attorney or President. The right job is the one you like doing and don't mind pulling hours for (and yes, I believe being a stay-at-home-mom can qualify as a full time job, too). Life is too short not to live it the way you want. Being happy is important.

I'm sorry to hear about his wife. Hopefully it isn't true. I thought the poodle part was cute/funny.
Well just think of a really really cute girl probably an 8 with a guy thats like 300 lbs..the say beauty is only skin deep..i don't know..and I know her family..she never came off like that before. It's like she got married and then she just ran with it.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM

117 posts, read 246,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
As a matter of fact, a relative went to Stanford undergrad and Georgetown Law, clerked in a coveted assignment, worked in corporate law a few short years - and hated that life and ended up making not mucho dinero but a decent income doing human resources/job placement for attorneys, not big bucks but is much happier.

Yeah, they definitely work for their money. Congrats to him for getting a great clerkship.

Happiness is very important, and different jobs and schedules make different people happy. I'm glad he didn't just chase money. Life is too short to live it out unhappy.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 PM

117 posts, read 246,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Well just think of a really really cute girl probably an 8 with a guy thats like 300 lbs..the say beauty is only skin deep..i don't know..and I know her family..she never came off like that before. It's like she got married and then she just ran with it.
Hahahaha. Funny. But you know, looks aren't everything! Ideally, we love people for who they are inside and stay through thick and thin (easier said than done lol)... maybe she loves him no matter what lol. I hope he's happy at least.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Geez - only $150K, went to U of Chicago Law and has been doing corporate law for over a decade? That's a very low salary with that history!
It really isn't.

As of right now, he's an Of Counsel for a smaller firm.

Like I said before, his salary might be closer to 200K, but it's definitely not 300K.

I also know someone from Stanford Law (though not nearly as well) who got out of that game before the 'crazy' payday.

It's not like you get a degree from a Top 10 law school and 10 years later, you're automatically making 350K a year. It just doesn't work like that.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:

That's true. Law firms are sweat shops and it's very easy to burn out. In fact, that's what happens to the overwhelming majority of people who go that route.

The few who make it to partner end up raking in tons of money though. Very darwinian.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Out of the ones that I know of:

Woman with a BA in CS/CL (Comparative Studies/Comparative Literature), essentially: philosophy. After graduation she worked as a receptionist for her brother's roofing business earning $50K a year. She now works for Boston Scientific, but I am unsure of her salary.

Woman with an A.A. in History/BA in History/Masters in Library Science. Works as an archivist for one of the New England states. She is a new hire (around two months), and I believe earns $48K or so.

Woman with BA in Art/Masters in Art (yup, simply "Art", not an MFA). She bounced around low paying jobs ($10/hr., give or take), for many years. I have not spoken to her in almost ten years. Last I heard she was working in the social services.

Man with BA in Philosophy. Currently finishing up a Masters in GIS.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Out of the ones that I know of:

Woman with a BA in CS/CL (Comparative Studies/Comparative Literature), essentially: philosophy. After graduation she worked as a receptionist for her brother's roofing business earning $50K a year. She now works for Boston Scientific, but I am unsure of her salary.

Woman with an A.A. in History/BA in History/Masters in Library Science. Works as an archivist for one of the New England states. She is a new hire (around two months), and I believe earns $48K or so.

Woman with BA in Art/Masters in Art (yup, simply "Art", not an MFA). She bounced around low paying jobs ($10/hr., give or take), for many years. I have not spoken to her in almost ten years. Last I heard she was working in the social services.

Man with BA in Philosophy. Currently finishing up a Masters in GIS.
She worked at the family business and made 50k? Are you sure? That's too much for someone that answers phones and types up memos.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
I know a lot of people (15-20) with masters and doctorates in I/O Psychology.

They make between 55k-135k, all are 32 or younger. I'd say the average that I know is around 80-85k. They all had undergrads in psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities