Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can choose to read it that way if you like. There is one comment that stands out in light of this discussion and it is:

"Perhaps most incredibly, children who score between 1,000 and 1,099 on the SAT and attend a selective college are more likely to graduate than those who scored above 1,200 and attended an open-access college."

It really does matter WHERE your kids go to college.
It matters if they stay in school, not the name on the diploma. Open access schools are basically community colleges....that doesn't mean going to a top 25 is better than going to a school that ranks 237....amazingly people from all over the country get jobs out of college, jobs in their fields, and make a good living....not all of them graduated from Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Bah..the first 2 years are just mostly more general ed classes with a few electives you can use towards your major.

Art Appreciation is not necessarily more rigorous at a 4 year University as opposed to a 2 year CC.
So it's open enrollment. It's not like K-12 where the classes are watered down.
In fact the great withdrawals start about the 2nd/3rd week so they can get back their tuition money.
I looked forward to it because then I could find a parking space at the CC

Here in Texas we have a common course numbering system that you can check when starting out. The CCs here work closely with the universities to help students make sure they take the right classes that transfer for credit.
Some CCs have transfer programs with classes customized for local universities that students can pick up and use.
Austin CC aligns with A&M and UT for example and suggest what electives at the CC you should take.

You end up missing 1 or 2 electives in your major that you can easily make up when you transfer to the university with your AA degree.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yep, now that all the numbers are in, that is what they ended up with--it's great No, our kids didn't apply to any MN state schools, they are just too dang expensive! There is one scholarship they each got for $1000 that I'm not sure if it carries over for 4 years or if it's a one time deal so they might have to come up with $3000 next year--but I doubt they will really have $2000/year in "personal expenses" so they are basically going for free with a combination of various scholarships that are renewable for 4 years!!! Love these "expensive" private schools!!
What school is this though? Not every kid wants to go to some obscure private school no one has ever heard of. If it were a top-notch private, sure, but most of the higher ranking private schools do NOT give merit aid.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM

9,775 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
no, there really is not....there is a difference in the quality of education from program to program across ALL schools but going to a SA doesn't make the education better than going to UMD, just different, A lot of colleges, Tier 1 or 4 have honors programs and whatnot. You can feel better about the sweatshirt you are wearing though if it makes you feel better . There are caring, passionate, outstanding professors at every college. Our daughter will be taking classes from the worlds leading expert in his field....but it's not an Ivy or SA....I still need to buy my sweatshirt though--hopefully the choices at the bookstore are good on move in day .
You really don't understand the difference at all. There is honors (son is taking them like "honors Physics") and then there is Scholars. Scholars takes the top 5% in the SA (or top 1% kids in the country) and gives them very a different level of instruction. Most have near perfect ACT and SAT's and are taught by former scholars. The class size could be 4 people. They may fly in a Supreme Court Justices to teach a constitution class. They flew out Tony Mendez (Argo) after they read the book for a Q&A session. I could go on and on. Sorry, UMD or your DD's college isn't in the same league with this specific program. As I said, it's part of the $400K scholarship.

They are specifically being groomed for Rhodes, Fulbright etc. That's not UMD.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here in Texas we have a common course numbering system that you can check when starting out. The CCs here work closely with the universities to help students make sure they take the right classes that transfer for credit.
Some CCs have transfer programs with classes customized for local universities that students can pick up and use.
Austin CC aligns with A&M and UT for example and suggest what electives at the CC you should take.

You end up missing 1 or 2 electives in your major that you can easily make up when you transfer to the university with your AA degree.

Florida has a common course numbering system as well. It really does help with the transition from CC to State U.

It also helps students at the large state Us that return home for the summer. They know exactly the course number that they need if they take the class at one of the smaller, more local state Us. If a course is required for a degree at UF or FSU a student can take it at FAU or FIU and receive credit.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You really don't understand the difference at all. There is honors (son is taking them like "honors Physics") and then there is Scholars. Scholars takes the top 5% in the SA (or top 1% kids in the country) and gives them very a different level of instruction. Most have near perfect ACT and SAT's and are taught by former scholars. The class size could be 4 people. They may fly in a Supreme Court Justices to teach a constitution class. They flew out Tony Mendez (Argo) after they read the book for a Q&A session. I could go on and on. Sorry, UMD or your DD's college isn't in the same league with this specific program. As I said, it's part of the $400K scholarship.

They are specifically being groomed for Rhodes, Fulbright etc. That's not UMD.
No, UMD just puts out Nobel Prize winners. Funny how Luther has just as many Rhode's scholars as any of the Service Academies this year....they are not exclusive to the top schools. A friend of our's graduated from a "no name" school and is both a Rhodes and Fulbright scholar, has 2 PhD's and teaches at a "fancy" university now....got his UG, both his masters and both his PhD's paid for too...grew up in a town of 200 people too...

Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 PM

26,760 posts, read 26,863,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
A good CC instructor makes sure that the smartest and poorest student in the class are both engaged. The lecture material itself is the same.
"Good" being the qualifier. And tenure has a lot to do with that. I also don't agree that the lecture material itself is the same.

Quote:
What you learn in a class is very much dependent on your own interest and motivation. A highly motivated CC student will get a lot of their courses, no matter what.
I could not disagree more, at least from what I've heard from students who are currently attending CA community colleges.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
No, UMD just puts out Nobel Prize winners. Funny how Luther has just as many Rhode's scholars as any of the Service Academies this year....they are not exclusive to the top schools. A friend of our's graduated from a "no name" school and is both a Rhodes and Fulbright scholar, has 2 PhD's and teaches at a "fancy" university now....got his UG, both his masters and both his PhD's paid for too...grew up in a town of 200 people too...
More misinformation. 1 Nobel at UMD (singular).

Luther has 2 Rhode's since year 2000 (see Rhodes Scholars - Luther College History Wiki) . WP 17, Navel 12, and USAFA 5 (see Schools that Produce the Most Rhodes Scholars - College Confidential ). So since 2011, the score is 34 service academies, Luther 1.

Again, you don't understand the topic and what is offered at the SA for the top kids. You continue to guess and present it as a fact.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Your average B student, average SAT/ACT, without a major talent or sport ability, and who isn't considered "poor", is NOT going to get full ride, merit, scholarship, to anything anywhere. Period.

I DO know someone who went practically free to a small, religious based school but there was no going on to grad school, no PhD's, no Rhodes...just a BA in something soft and a lot of religion. And another because her mom worked at a college who was part of a larger group of colleges and it was a job perk.

It's frustrating to see posters insist that anyone can get a college education free ...IF ONLY...

My youngest child will not pay a lot but that's because he is living at home, went to CC first, and is commuting to State University. But nothing is going to be free no matter how much I try to spin it.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention. See http://www.rhodesscholar.org/assets/...er%20Count.pdf

Luther: life to date 8.

U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY 37 (since its 1954)
U.S. MILITARY ACADEMY 89
U.S.NAVAL ACADEMY 46

OBVIOUSLY there are some incredibly smart kids at Luther. But the school simply does not have the focus to produce scholars. The SA's is a fantastic school. But the top students inside of SA's go from "great" to a World Class education. They have different professors and special focus. That is what you are missing. As I said, they are groomed to be the future leaders who end up in top positions. The fact that you called it "honors" shows that you just don't understand what I am saying.

Nearly all of the students in these programs will go off to MIT, Harvard, Oxford, and Stanford etc. There is a close association between these schools. MIT and Stanford VIP's are frequent visitors to the SA's. The President of the USA will hand out my sons diploma a few years from now. The top students get 1/2 hour face time. Sorry, that's not happening at Luther. That's not their mission.

So rest assured there is a difference in the quality of different colleges. Yes. They teach Psyc 101 the same as a CC. But I'm not talking about the generic classes. While I would love to think that my DD's UMD experience is World Class. It's simply not in the same league or anywhere close. Note: I'm specifically speaking about the top programs inside the SA's which are tough to get into.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-01-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities