Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I major in college?
Engineering/ something with low unemployment rate 22 59.46%
Something that involves interests/ is creative 8 21.62%
Third option (explain in post) 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If I remember correctly, in Maslow's scheme you had to evolve through the lower needs before reaching the top.

Just an afterthought - being you can become disenchanted or burned out in any endeavor, if you picked a field of work that paid well AND invested wisely you would have a cushion for early retirement OR you would be able to afford to retrain yourself.

Look at how computers revolutionized our society. There is bound to be something else down the road that does the same. Get money. Keep your options open.
That is true, however you can't always get jobs that make money. Look at what jobs have been created since the recession, low wage part-time jobs. Let me just say, there is some money in those jobs but not enough to create a cushion. That and often due to weird scheduling, not enough to get a second part-time job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Major in what you want to study and what interests you.

Many people I knew in college majored in finance/accounting even though it wasn't their passion. A vast majority of them went back to school to become history teachers. Someone else joined the army as an enlisted infantryman and is now going back to school to be a teacher.

If you don't enjoy what you're studying, you won't really like the job. and unhappiness isn't worth all of the money in the world, really.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
In my 20's, I would have said, "follow your heart and study arts/literature". But now as a crusty older person who needs to pay bills and work to raise a family, I think it is important to prepare for your future wisely while in college. Stick with the engineering degree if you can make A's in the coursework -- it's a high-paying, fairly recession proof field, and you will be thankful for the degree down the road. Then study anything that interests you at the Master's level or as a post-bacc, while you are employed.

But if you can't make all A's due to a lack of interest, you will end up hurting yourself with a low GPA. A poor performance would hurt your ability to find good interships, compete for top jobs, and get into graduate school. So dig deep and decide what you really are capable of accomplishing.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
I would suggest that you at least start the engineering curriculum. There are several different disciplines within engineering, including civil engineering which involves designing buildings, bridges, roads, etc. that can open the door to a lot of creativity. You could also do a double major in engineering and design (art) which would open up a variety of career options.

If architect Frank Lloyd Wright had been a competent engineer, so many of his buildings wouldn't have so many terminal or near-terminal faults. John A Roebling, who was a more than competent engineer, designed the Brooklyn Bridge, which was not only a marvelous engineering feat for its time, but is beautiful in and of itself, not to mention that it's still in use 130 years later!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:46 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
But if you can't make all A's due to a lack of interest, you will end up hurting yourself with a low GPA.
Unless you are extremely bright, you will not make all A's in engineering no matter how hard you try.

Rocket science really isn't that easy. It is not just hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities