Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,382,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I completely agree with this. I am nowhere near the 1% right now as far as yearly salary (early career science professor) but I am doing everything I can to build additional income including rental properties, scientific and educational consulting, and aggressive investing in small businesses personally familiar to me. in 2013, roughly 2/3 of my income will be my salary and 1/3 will be 'other'. I am hoping that twenty or thirty years from now my academic salary is a small fraction of my overall income, but even if it is half I will be very comfortable.

Some people have suggested that I could make more money if I gave up teaching altogether and consulted full time. They may be right, but I love teaching as well as the stability of academia. 90% of my job is a joy to do and if I was wealthy I would pay for the privilege of doing it. I can definitely see, however, that if my goal was to become as rich as possible I would never get there collecting a paycheck.

All of my friends that are my age (mid 30s) and millionaires made their money through starting a business. Even the investment bankers, lawyers, and surgeons are going to need a few more years to finish paying off loans and accumulating assets before they are what I consider 1%ers. On the other hand, business ownership can be very risky. My friend who owns a algorithmic trading business is under a ton of stress because he is so leveraged that he could potentially lose millions if his computers executed flawed code by accident. I went rafting in the Poconos with him this summer and I could just feel his blood pressure spike every time his phone rang, even when we were out on the river. I would not want to trade him careers, even though he probably clears over a million a year.
You sound like you're on the right path... Exactly how I started out... I lived frugally and took a substantial amount of income from my first professional job (in marketing) to buy multiple investment properties all while starting a consulting business. I then leveraged my properties/business into buying more businesses and hiring more employees, which I have continued to grow. Leverage works. Successfully leverage your own (and other people's) skills and money... Having only billable hours for one person (yourself) is quite limiting, as is only being able to invest your own money. Being frugal, on 1 salary, with only 1 person's savings/income (e.g. a sole doctor, lawyer, accountant) gets you only so far (maybe barely into the 1%)...

I have been very highly leveraged, however I have an exceedingly high tolerance for the risk of financial ruin... Although making money is important to me, I am really not that fearful of losing it all and being poor again. I also don't care what people think of me. I have often thought the banker would call in the multimillion loan, or that big deal would not go through, but for some reason it does not overly stress me out (unlike your friend in the Poconos).

Maybe I am irrationally optimistic (crazy?) about things and narcissistically believe too much in myself and my ideas. I think: This is a great idea and what is the worst thing that could possibly happen? I lose my entire life savings and everyone hates me? Ok, I can handle that. It does take a certain temperment to live like this. I am strangely low stress for the amount of money flowing out of my hands each week... Not sure many are wired this way.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-05-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Given that rather few Americans are in the 1% (1% of them to be exact ) this list doesn't do much of anything but show a sufficient (as opposed to a necessary) link between college major and future financial acumen. There's a pretty wide variety of majors in that list, and most of them are clustered pretty close together in terms of 1 %age shares.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,724,437 times
Do these figures include the spouses of 1% earners as well?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Do these figures include the spouses of 1% earners as well?
Mostly they've got a Master of Residential Science, though a growing number have a Master of Romance

Old 09-08-2013, 05:22 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Plan ahead

1. Make sure your parents are good looking.
2. Be born female.
3. Become a hot model.
4. Marry well.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM

89 posts, read 206,398 times
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a lot of people who get dirty for a living (digging ditches, mopping floors, mixing cement, planting flowers, etc.) work damn hard and are not anywhere near the 1%. Many of the people who have these jobs in the trades WORK HARD and are just scraping by at $30,000 a year.

Let's not pretend that everyone is born with equal opportunity. There are some inherent structural advantages that make success far more attainable in some communities compared to others.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a lot of people who get dirty for a living (digging ditches, mopping floors, mixing cement, planting flowers, etc.) work damn hard and are not anywhere near the 1%. Many of the people who have these jobs in the trades WORK HARD and are just scraping by at $30,000 a year.

Let's not pretend that everyone is born with equal opportunity. There are some inherent structural advantages that make success far more attainable in some communities compared to others.
Nobody is pretending anything. This thread is about what to major in to break into the 1%, not whether there are people who work hard and make little money.

In order to break into the top 1% it is necessary to work hard. But not everyone who works hard will break into the top 1%. More than that is necessary.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Yep, you need to work hard and work smart.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
This is a common misconception, but according to this article it is simply not the case. Who Are the One Percent? - Penta Daily - Barrons.com

My father is a self made one percenter...albeit on the extreme lower end of the spectrum, but he was a history major and got to where he is by hard work and networking. He certainly wasn't born into it.
your article gives me more motivation

Old 09-15-2013, 02:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post

There is also a limit on the mental capabilities of some people which keeps them doing manual labor.

I am not sure of this, but cannot brilliant students from anyplace in the country get scholarships and grants?

How do we solve the problem of the cost of education? College costs have, for decades I believe, risen much faster than inflation. Colleges just figure that the federal government will give loans to the students who are stuck paying it back, so there is no incentive at all for colleges to cut costs and every incentive to raise them.

In some communities the home environment is more conducive to learning than in others. Parents sometimes limit their offspring from succeeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities