Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 AM

15 posts, read 50,817 times

Advertisements

I love computers but I'm not interested in all the math/programming that Computer Science has. I thought about majoring in MIS but yahoo constantly has it on their dead-end careers or degrees you shouldn't earn list. They say it has an unemployment rate of 11.7 for recent grads. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:41 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Just an fyi, i wouldnt believe anything that yahoo says. Their articles are garbage

Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
"I love computers" - what does that mean? Do you love spending time on a computer playing games? Do you love working on computer hardware? Do you love the social media available through computers?

There are no shortcuts these days - every viable occupation and job slot will be bombarded by enthusiastic and knowledgeable prospects. You have to decide what career you want and what you are willing to sacrifice for that career (time, money, etc.). Your "love" of computers means you recognize the existence of a tool. Now it is up to you to show a marketable proficiency in that tool.

Sometimes "all that math/programming" is worth the commitment - if it was as easy as "I love computers" we'd all skip that time-consuming learning part of education.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
what do you mean by "good major"? something you love to study and have passion for and will actually complete?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzledmississippian View Post
I love computers but I'm not interested in all the math/programming that Computer Science has. I thought about majoring in MIS but yahoo constantly has it on their dead-end careers or degrees you shouldn't earn list. They say it has an unemployment rate of 11.7 for recent grads. Any advice?
People on here need to quit asking what's the best major..to earn money. The answer would obviously be med school.
You need to major in something you LIKE. You have to work in that field 40+ years. You can not afford to major in something that you don't enjoy.
Look up the curriculum and jobs for that degree, and look if that's something you could see yourself doing for 40+ years. If not, DON'T do it.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
People on here need to quit asking what's the best major..to earn money. The answer would obviously be med school.
You need to major in something you LIKE. You have to work in that field 40+ years. You can not afford to major in something that you don't enjoy.
Look up the curriculum and jobs for that degree, and look if that's something you could see yourself doing for 40+ years. If not, DON'T do it.

Majoring in what "you like" instead of what is in demand might make the difference between working at walmart for minimum wage or earning 100k in a well respected field.

In today's economy there is little leeway, little to fall back on besides minimum wage retail/fast food jobs if college don't work out.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Majoring in what "you like" instead of what is in demand might make the difference between working at walmart for minimum wage or earning 100k in a well respected field.

In today's economy there is little leeway, little to fall back on besides minimum wage retail/fast food jobs if college don't work out.
Not necessarily. Please tell me how you determine what will be in demand four years, because the last that I heard these are "predictions" which may or may not be right depending upon the predictor having the correct assumptions. Many of my friends have majored in what they love. I don't know of any who have worked retail or fast food in the long term.

Look at the legal field, when I was in college, everyone should become a lawyer because it's in DEMAND! Can't go wrong with being a lawyer!!! ....guess what! Now there are too many law graduates and not enough jobs. And there's a generation of people burdened by debt for a job that was supposed to make it "easy to pay your loans back" because it was so "in demand." Demands change and can often be hard to predict.

The lawyers who were told that their jobs would be in demand are now working as waiters and waitresses (not retail/fast food, haha). Those I know who were teased about majoring in liberal arts fields: congressional analyst, customer service manager, financial planner, manager of historical tourism, director of a non-profit, teaching English abroad, upper management of retail chains working towards being district managers, regulatory analysts, marketing associates, insurance sales, military officers, technical writers, staffing recruiters, social media directors for magazines, video editor for a news show. Major in what you love, try to be self aware and know yourself and what you truly want to do with your life. Get internships, experience, network, and start job searching early if you want to be employed by graduation.

Also, I don't see what you mean by "if college don't work out." Do you mean not graduating? Do you mean not pursuing business or STEM? I do not agree with dropping out, but also think college may not be for everybody, either. There is nothing wrong with trades like pipefitting, welding, being a hair stylist, being a pharmacy tech....

Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I don't know, law is applicable to most every field. Lots of lawyers in most businesses I've worked at, but not as the counsel, they use their backgrounds in other parts of the business.

I would agree though that the idea of not using your major means you'll be in retail. I followed my passion (biology) and a minority of my work experience has had anything to do with biology. Hasn't hurt me at all.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzledmississippian View Post
I know just what you are talking about. My youngest son had the same quandry. He took three programming classes in HS and did well in them but knew he did not want to write code for a living. We looked at many colleges that had majors in CS, IS, IST and MIS. The ones in MIS were usually in the business school and really didn't have much to do with what he wanted to do. However, he found several colleges with Information Systems or Information Science and Technology that suited him better. These majors usually have some programming in them. My son's major has a big cyber security component and a huge job placement percentage upon graduation.

We visited the professor at this college, partly because of this well thought out article he wrote explaining the difference between CS and IS: IS vs. CS: A Comparison | Saint Michael's College

This major is at SMU and may interest you: http://www.usm.edu/undergraduate/inf...-networking-bs

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know, law is applicable to most every field. Lots of lawyers in most businesses I've worked at, but not as the counsel, they use their backgrounds in other parts of the business.

I would agree though that the idea of not using your major means you'll be in retail. I followed my passion (biology) and a minority of my work experience has had anything to do with biology. Hasn't hurt me at all.
There are lawyers, but not necessarily law openings for new graduates. Unless you're going to a top 10, it's not worth the $$$. I've also never seen someone be able to use a law degree to be in other parts of business, though I've heard lawyers make a good case for why they should be able to do that and how they've applied for financial analyst positions.... Suuuure. Right now, they say there are 100X more law grads than there are law jobs. When I went to school, though, that was an "in demand" field that when my friends finally graduated from their schools.... not so much. It's hard to say what demand will be like, but it really sucks to be those people who thought they were doing something in demand only to find out everyone else thought the same thing and now there are more graduates than necessary. I think that's the one thing I will try to talk someone out of... unless it is absolutely your absolute dream, could never be happy without an esquire, don't do it. Not worth the investment of time or $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities