Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones88 View Post
Which Cal States do you think would accept me? From my research, seems like most won't even accept a student with my grades. I just have a lot of other things such as work that takes up my time because I have to support myself. I'm 100% independent living in Orange County where it is really expensive.
If you can't get into a Cal State though, how do you expect to get into a UC?

If work is taking up too much time, then just take one class at a time. It's a marathon, not a sprint and you have the benefit of youth on your side.

I'm not sure what kind of GPA is needed for acceptance to Cal States, but there's a definitely a possibility of you getting in. If you can get in, even if you don't get into engineering, you can start doing better and then apply to the engineering school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM

8 posts, read 7,960 times
What are some professionals similar to engineering but not as difficult academically that I can potentially thrive in?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 PM

219 posts, read 430,982 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what my options are at Universities because that's my priority. If all of those are wiped out, then I would like more resources to figure out other options I have such as pursuing a degree at a for-profit or a trade school.
If you spent 4 years at a CC and have only a 2.3 GPA to show for it, then college is not your priority. Not everyone is meant to go to college. You seem to have the misconception that the 4 year degree is going to land you the good paying job. Even if you get the degree, potential employers will see how much you struggled to obtain it and will not take the chance on you. Don't spend anymore money on college until you get serious about it. Good intentions are not enough.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
What are some professionals similar to engineering but not as difficult academically that I can potentially thrive in?
It's not difficult to get an engineering degree.

To excel in an engineering program is difficult, but just to get in and get through is easy.

If that's your goal, then I would go for it. It's hardly a monumental task.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:23 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's not difficult to get an engineering degree.

To excel in an engineering program is difficult, but just to get in and get through is easy.

If that's your goal, then I would go for it. It's hardly a monumental task.
That's untrue if the OP is struggling with math. Good math skills are essential to graduate with an engineering degree.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I do not think you should transfer. I went to CC before transferring, and community offers much more individualized help. If you cannot do well there, you are going to sink in 4 year and then have debt on top of it. I would re-think your major, to align with your strengths. You can't just pick a major because it results in a high paying job if you do not have a natural affinity for that work. Then I would cut your classes to only 2 or 3 a semester so you can excel in them. If you need tutoring, get it. When you bring your GPA up to at least 3, then add more courses. When you can carry a full load and maintain at least a 3.0, then transfer.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what my options are at Universities because that's my priority. If all of those are wiped out, then I would like more resources to figure out other options I have such as pursuing a degree at a for-profit or a trade school.
If you think you can get a 4-year degree at a for-profit because the academics are easier than at a CC, then that is certainly a bad thing. You might not be prepared for the workforce, you will take on a lot more debt, and some employers will discriminate against your school. Think about becoming an electrician, welder, auto mechanic, or something in that realm.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
OP,

If you are struggling with math, you aren't a candidate for engineering. That's just reality.

Does your community college offer vocational courses like auto technician, welding, office technology, etc? If it does, then you should investigate one of those. It would be much cheaper for you to get an AS or AAS or certificate from your CC than from a trade school or for-profit.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That's untrue if the OP is struggling with math. Good math skills are essential to graduate with an engineering degree.
Not really.

I've watched a ton of people barely get by with minimal effort.

If he's getting C's in math now, he could be getting C's in the remaining math requirements and upper division engineering courses.

Getting through engineering school is a totally different thing than doing well. Getting through any bachelors program is more a question of work ethic than 'ability'.

Good math skills might be required to get a doctorate in applied mathematics or something.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Not really.

I've watched a ton of people barely get by with minimal effort.

If he's getting C's in math now, he could be getting C's in the remaining math requirements and upper division engineering courses.

Getting through engineering school is a totally different thing than doing well. Getting through any bachelors program is more a question of work ethic than 'ability'.

Good math skills might be required to get a doctorate in applied mathematics or something.
I'd have to disagree completely. At my engineering school, if you aren't downright stellar with algebra and trig you will almost certainly fail at calculus, let alone calf two, three and differential equations. I couldn't fathom someone who struggles with a basic class like college algebra at a community college doing well in university calculus or engineering classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities