Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,511,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post
+1

Geography plays a huge role in finding a job upon graduation. After all, why would an employer consider a candidate that is hundreds of miles away, when they have candidates with the same credentials residing locally. Even if a candidate says they will relocate with no problem, why would an employer even bother? Basic supply and demand principles at work....
It...happens all the time. You don't know anyone who moved out of state for a job offer??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM

158 posts, read 333,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
It...happens all the time. You don't know anyone who moved out of state for a job offer??
Sure, but those are individuals with experience and specialized skills. A college graduate who majored in something that the market is flooded with(i.e. business admin.,marketing or accounting) will have a much lower success rate if they went to a school which is geographically disadvantageous. Once again, basic supply and demand principles at work here...

Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,449,466 times
Just a little insight from a Corporate Accountant, theres no such thing as a "Business Administrator." Maybe it used to be in the 80's/90's that you could land a management role with that degree, but not any more. Its useless. Our managers move up through their respective department. I.E. Accounting managers, sales managers, marketing managers...you get the point. There is no entry level job for business admin.

Get a degree in Finance, Accounting, or Marketing if you want to work in the business world.

Based purely on my observations in the Corporate world.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM

35,229 posts, read 31,569,052 times
Quote:
You're right, Emigrations. I should have told him to give up hope and just go apply for a job at Burger King.

I would never tell anyone they're "guaranteed" anything. However, if someone is smart, determined and hard working enough they probably will be fine. That's far from naive. But, yes, networking is important. Once the OP has determined a major, he should join the local chapter of a professional organization like the American Marketing Association. It's a great way to learn more about the profession as well as find out about jobs and internships.

It sounds like you're projecting your problems onto others. If you're having such a hard time finding good jobs locally despite having strong qualifications, it might be time to move.
No one is saying to take a job at Burger King, but if you go to a school without the right connections or major in something very bad, you'll be doing well to move up past Burger King.

I looked up the AMA. In Tennessee, there are only chapters of the AMA in Nashville and Knoxville. People outside these cities probably won't even be able to join and leverage the organization's capabilities well. Again, geography is playing a critical role.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 01-15-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Oh and as far as my buddies from University that DID get a business admin degree.....One works at Walmart as a department manager, one works at a cell phone place selling phones, one works at a Tire shop, and the rest work in Big companies answering phones or doing work that requires a H.S. education.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,278,073 times
I agree - avoid business admin and grab something more specialized

Even operations management is specialized now and there is some demand there

As mentioned, accounting and marketing are night and day on the spectrum ..... accounting is a great field if you like it and progress through it ......... marketing is a bit more scatter-shot, but also typically a little less rigid

You could maybe grab a minor in sociology mixed with marketing

Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM

158 posts, read 333,944 times
I think a business administration degree isn't worth much if you don't plan on getting anymore education. A business admin. degree is essentially the same as a degree in sociology or psychology in the sense that you need a graduate degree to leverage any knowledge gained will obtaining the undergraduate degree.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
No one is saying to take a job at Burger King, but if you go to a school without the right connections or major in something very bad, you'll be doing well to move up past Burger King.

I looked up the AMA. In Tennessee, there are only chapters of the AMA in Nashville and Knoxville. People outside these cities probably won't even be able to join and leverage the organization's capabilities well. Again, geography is playing a critical role.
The OP mentioned he is transferring to a Cal State school. Most of the schools in that system are nationally recognized.

If you're in a rural area of Tennessee that is nowhere near any of the major population centers, your problem is not your degree, it is your location.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Oh and as far as my buddies from University that DID get a business admin degree.....One works at Walmart as a department manager, one works at a cell phone place selling phones, one works at a Tire shop, and the rest work in Big companies answering phones or doing work that requires a H.S. education.
I think your friends' lack of success has more to do with them personally than their degree.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I think your friends' lack of success has more to do with them personally than their degree.
Let me guess, you have (one) friend with a generic business degree that is successful and therefore it must be a good degree. Whereas I know LOTS of people with generic business degrees who couldnt find work, but they clearly must have personality flaws. I think not. There are many articles out there proving a B.B.A. is a bad idea....but clearly my friends have personality flaws. Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities