Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,516,059 times

Advertisements

I'm with those who say to get a degree or concentration in something more specialized: accounting, human resources, finance, operations management, etc. I, personally, wouldn't do a concentration in marketing because many of the entry-level jobs are in sales. I hate sales. According to a Payscale study, business administration/management majors are the most underemployed. It's the most popular major in the country, and there aren't enough jobs for all of the graduates. Business administration and business management degrees are also very general. Most of the major courses are intro-level spanning over several different subjects: management, human resources, accounting, finance, marketing, business information systems, etc.
Business Administration Major Underemployment Stats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,613,430 times
my feeling on business admin is it just seems to broad to be applicable. Now I cant say for sure, I am not an employer looking to hire but filling a niche seems to be what gets people the job

Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,750,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
According to a Payscale study, business administration/management majors are the most underemployed. It's the most popular major in the country, and there aren't enough jobs for all of the graduates.
I think this is just as much because you don't generally go to college, get a degree in management, and then become "manager" (or on arrested development, "Mr. Manager"). You generally work in your field for a while and then get promoted into a managerial role and you don't need a management degree to do that.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,511,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Let me guess, you have (one) friend with a generic business degree that is successful and therefore it must be a good degree. Whereas I know LOTS of people with generic business degrees who couldnt find work, but they clearly must have personality flaws. I think not. There are many articles out there proving a B.B.A. is a bad idea....but clearly my friends have personality flaws. Nice try.
Nope. Unlike you, I don't rely on anecdotes to make decisions or prove a point. Whether a BBA is a "good" idea or not depends on lots of things like your objectives, interests, aptitude, work ethic, etc. Of course a BBA alone will guarantee you nothing, and if you don't have a good work ethic and other soft skills like the ability to communicate effectively and work with others you probably won't fare well with a BBA or any degree for that matter. However, simply saying that attaining a degree is a "bad" idea is a pretty obtuse statement. The OP sounds like a pretty thoughtful person who is doing research to understand his options. That alone tells me that he is already smarter than most people who expect to get a degree and be handed a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities