Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
For me it boiled down to faith in myself and how well I knew myself. Did I have enough faith in myself that I could do this, that I could finish what I start? Did I know myself well enough that this would be good for me?
Wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,381 times
Non-traditional? Many people in their 30's and 40's have gone on to graduate school and I think it is becoming a norm (not so much of a 'non-traditional' age). The youngest in my class of 14 students is 24 y.o. and the oldest is 50. The rest of us fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 PM

6 posts, read 30,366 times
Well I went back in 2000 for masters in nursing. I had 4 children, spouse, and I had to work full time to reap the benefits of tuition reimbursement (that only covered a small portion of the tuition). I graduated 4 years later at the age of 46 and although it was grueling, I am so glad I did. I actually am more comfortable as a student anyway. I didn't become start nursing school until my youngest was 2 years old. It took me 4 years to get an associate degree in nursing. I went back to get a B.S. in '96. It is a juggling process, keeping the balls in the air. As far as the rewards, I can pretty much get a position any where and the pay is pretty good.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:06 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,607 times
Of course! I think that nowadays, it's a pretty common thing. Especially when people are more likely to change careers, and may need the advanced education.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM

119 posts, read 379,769 times
Default did it

went to grad school to get my mba when I was 30
took a while to regain my study skills, but once I did, it was great
that was over 25 yrs ago
my wife has now returned to school to get an mfa (she is mid-50's), she loves it
if you want that degree badly enough, then you will do what it takes to get it...regardless of your age
like SK said, "...the greatest danger is not to take the risk."

Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times
For sure, I finished my Masters Degree when I was 28 and am planning on a PhD or an additional Masters Degree when we move out of Florida!!

Old 12-06-2007, 12:31 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
Absolutely. With the retirement age what it is, it would make complete sense to go back. We're never too old to learn.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 AM

498 posts, read 1,519,643 times
Default Definately

I am going to go back to school eventually. I am just now conceiving that it is possible even at my age. I just have one problem. I would have to start from the basic bottom. I am not EDUCATED. I really have a problem with numbers. Which really sucks, cause the whole world is a number of some kind from my understanding of relativity. I have no idea if that is the right word, but I think ya got my drift. But Yes definately, take advantage of your age and wisdom to carry you through. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
I would do it - I'm getting close to 50 and I can see that I would be much worse now at taking tests than in my 30s and even earlier 40s. I would like to go back after an early retirement, but I will be taking courses only for pleasure.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I wondered whether people would, if given the chance (i.e. finances, family responsibilities, etc.) go back to grad school in their 30's or older--for a PhD or professional degree, such as dentistry, law, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, etc. Would it be worth it to you to go back to school after your 20's? Has anyone done this, and if so, what was the experience like being a non-traditional graduate or professional student?
Yes - I did. In my 40's. For my JD

Scary - real scary. However, what calmed down was a counselor I was interviewing with when applying to schools. I told him of my ... "fears".

He took me to a class in session and pointed out all the young "kids". He pointed out that I had something none of them had - life experiences. I owned a home - had a family. Owned a business. Had to make payroll etc.

He made me feel much better -

It was a great experience. I am so glad I did it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities