Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times

Advertisements

I wondered whether people would, if given the chance (i.e. finances, family responsibilities, etc.) go back to grad school in their 30's or older--for a PhD or professional degree, such as dentistry, law, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, etc. Would it be worth it to you to go back to school after your 20's? Has anyone done this, and if so, what was the experience like being a non-traditional graduate or professional student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:08 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Well, I definitely would, especially if I could be in decent housing. (When I was 26 and returned for a master's, the horrible dorm was sooo depressing).

I know of a woman who *started* pre-med courses at age 40. She is now ranked as one of the best doctors in her specialty in the DC area. I can't tell you how many years I've been thinking like a dope "I still have x years (to start my pre-med)".

Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Thought about it and then just resolved instead to start pursuing exactly what I am passionate about without an advanced degree. Quite frankly I don't think you need an advanced degree to be successful in many things, so unless you are talking about a profession which requires one... save your money.

If you are talking about wanting to enter a profession which requires an advanced degree (practicing law, becoming a physician, etc), then I see no reason not to in your thirties. I have plenty of friends and family who have done this successfully. Of course you ought to pursue this rationally, and consider the opportunity costs, impact to any dependants, etc.. but at the end of the day if after investigating doing this rather thoroughly you still want to, then go for it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post

If you are talking about wanting to enter a profession which requires an advanced degree (practicing law, becoming a physician, etc), then I see no reason not to in your thirties. I have plenty of friends and family who have done this successfully. Of course you ought to pursue this rationally, and consider the opportunity costs, impact to any dependants, etc.. but at the end of the day if after investigating doing this rather thoroughly you still want to, then go for it.
Yes, this is what I was referring to. I'm interested to hear about what career people chose (i.e. law, medicine, etc.) and how the experience was.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I'm in my last semester of graduate school, and I turned 50 this year. In February, I'll receive my M.S. in Special Education which will <*fingers crossed*> enable me to get a teaching job pretty much anywhere.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I wondered whether people would, if given the chance (i.e. finances, family responsibilities, etc.) go back to grad school in their 30's or older--for a PhD or professional degree, such as dentistry, law, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, etc. Would it be worth it to you to go back to school after your 20's? Has anyone done this, and if so, what was the experience like being a non-traditional graduate or professional student?

If it is something you want to do, then I would go for it. 30's is still young! I went for the PhD right after college, but many in my program did not. The same was for my boyfriend...law degree immediately post-college but he had several people in his program who were in there 30's (one had been a surgeon for 10 years and was coming back for his law degree!). The hardest thing for them was getting back into the swing of school (on the other hand, they were highly modivated and good students). Also, you list a variety of degrees. While all are possible at that point in your life, there is a difference between sitting down and getting a law degree in 3 years or spending 4 years + at least a 3 year residency for medicine. Either way, if it's what you really want to do, it would be worth it! Just think of it...if you are out when you are even 45, you have at least 20 years in your new profession before retirement.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
when i was in my early 30s, i was presented with an incredible opportunity to go back to school for a degree that i had wanted since i was a teen. for some reason that makes no sense to me today, i was very stuck on the idea that i would be <gasp> 35 years old when i graduated. older, wiser friend asked: do you want to be 35 with the degree, or 35 without it? i went back to school.

overall, it was a great experience. i had more confidence than when i was a young undergrad, and i felt much less intimidated by the professors. i would say that the only disadvantage of my age was that my study skills were very rusty, and having 'had a life' i was settled into a routine that did not include spending all my waking hours in class or the library. i had studied for my teaching credential in an evening program while working full-time, and i was accustomed to going home and relaxing after class and spending my weekends doing mundane things like laundry, housecleaning and personal errands, and indulging in my favorite pasttimes. i continued this pattern after i returned to school full-time, but now i was in an environment where everyone around me was in the library all the time, or browbeating themselves for not being there, and i just didn't have the same sense of urgency about it. as a result, i struggled with feeling that, at my age, i should have been more disciplined, and finding a balance between being a student in a very competitive environment and living the life of an adult with a home to maintain and a desire to have school enrich my life, but not take it over. honestly, i don't think i ever really found it; i just graduated, and thus ended the struggle.

i also had to accept that, as i wasn't 19 anymore, all-nighters were no longer an option.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:02 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
when i was in my early 30s, i was presented with an incredible opportunity to go back to school for a degree that i had wanted since i was a teen. for some reason that makes no sense to me today, i was very stuck on the idea that i would be <gasp> 35 years old when i graduated. older, wiser friend asked: do you want to be 35 with the degree, or 35 without it? i went back to school.

overall, it was a great experience. i had more confidence than when i was a young undergrad, and i felt much less intimidated by the professors. i would say that the only disadvantage of my age was that my study skills were very rusty, and having 'had a life' i was settled into a routine that did not include spending all my waking hours in class or the library. i had studied for my teaching credential in an evening program while working full-time, and i was accustomed to going home and relaxing after class and spending my weekends doing mundane things like laundry, housecleaning and personal errands, and indulging in my favorite pasttimes. i continued this pattern after i returned to school full-time, but now i was in an environment where everyone around me was in the library all the time, or browbeating themselves for not being there, and i just didn't have the same sense of urgency about it. as a result, i struggled with feeling that, at my age, i should have been more disciplined, and finding a balance between being a student in a very competitive environment and living the life of an adult with a home to maintain and a desire to have school enrich my life, but not take it over. honestly, i don't think i ever really found it; i just graduated, and thus ended the struggle.

i also had to accept that, as i wasn't 19 anymore, all-nighters were no longer an option.
Right, years ago my Aunt was debating law school and she said to a friend "but I'd be 29 when I finished" and the friend said "you'll be 29 anyhow". She went.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Within my social network, I'd say more than 25% went back to graduate school after their 30th birthday. One friend went to medical school at age 45; another went for a social work degree at 37, after already having a PhD in biochemistry; and quite a few friends went to law school after 40.

My partner went to graduate school at age 33, and I believe it changed their life.

It's never too late until it is over.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 AM

768 posts, read 2,100,274 times
Definitely, I'm doing it. I'm in my mid-30s and will (crossing fingers) graduate and hit the final test(s) shortly. For me one of the hardest parts about going back to school was that I already had a house payment so I had to work. A number of my classmates have had parental financial support, but that wasn't an option for me either. What I chose to do was to leave the profession I was working in and get entry-level experience in the field I am studying. It hurt financially (understatement when you go back to what feels like barely above minimum wage) but I have learned so much from it. To see the work on a daily basis enables you to decide if this is really what you want to do. There have been a number of people who have graduated and decided that this isn't what they want to do after all, and I didn't want to feel that way.

No matter what field you've worked in, the fact that you have seen how the daily reality of a job is will benefit you immensely. Because I've been working in the lower-level positions in my new field, I've met a number of young people who went straight from college to grad school. Then they got out and started to work in the "real world" where they are dealing not only with the reality of how a daily job is a grind and can be...well...bor-ing but also with the shock of realizing that this job they just spent so many years learning how to do is not what they want to do after all. You already know that work isn't all roses so you're ahead of that game.

As an older student who initially wanted this 2nd profession but felt that it was too long of a grind (right after undergrad) to be practical, I do not at all regret going back to school. The skills I used for my first career will serve me well in my 2nd one. Life is one long learning process, IMHO, so I consider my 1st career time well spent.

For me it boiled down to faith in myself and how well I knew myself. Did I have enough faith in myself that I could do this, that I could finish what I start? Did I know myself well enough that this would be good for me?

Don't ever let age stop you. Whether you go back to school or not, you will still be that age. For many people, with age comes wisdom and insight so it isn't a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities