Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,247,751 times

Advertisements

Usually when I take challenging courses in math and science I have professors who are incoherent. And they have this attitude like something is wrong with me if I have trouble keeping up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:55 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
No, clearly English is not a necessity in the sciences. I was in a class once with a science professor who couldn't read or write English well enough to do the most simple assignments. It drove the teacher nuts, and was kind of discouraging for the rest of us, seeing as how she has full tenure and has been given various awards for "excellence in teaching."

Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times
You should complain to the school if your professors are not proficient enough in English.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You should complain to the school if your professors are not proficient enough in English.
Absolutely. I'm not sure the colleges care though. When one of my sons was registering for classes as a freshman, his advisor told him to look for the professors that didn't have obviously foreign surnames.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Usually when I take challenging courses in math and science I have professors who are incoherent. And they have this attitude like something is wrong with me if I have trouble keeping up.
It seemed that practically every math and physics professor at my university were from former Soviet Bloc countries. They came over when the Wall came down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Students did, every semester. I could understand these profs just fine. My bet is that those who complained did so more because they couldn't grasp the material to begin with and were using these professor's "lack of English" as an excuse. Ironically, I also had two professors who were from the South. Should I have complained that they didn't speak English either?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Are you talking about instructors whose accents are so thick you have difficulty understanding, or people who legitimately are not fluent in the language of the majority of their students?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
The onus should not be on the students to decipher the mangled English of the professor, since the students are the paying customers. An accent is understandable, however, some of the professors are impossible to understand in a lecture environment.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 PM

Yup:
»

Old 03-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The onus should not be on the students to decipher the mangled English of the professor, since the students are the paying customers. An accent is understandable, however, some of the professors are impossible to understand in a lecture environment.
The onus should be on the students to find professors they can understand if this is such an issue. Students do talk about this stuff, you know.

Really though, how big of a problem is this?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
It hasn't been my personal experience that school's hire people to instruct that cannot speak the language in which they are expected to instruct. The one exception was a visiting professor/playwright from Russia, and he wasn't there to conduct classes, he was there for one semester to direct a play he'd written...which he did through student translators. He wasn't doing hours of lecturing every day to classrooms of students who didn't speak Russian, or anything.

I did have instructors with accents. That's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities