Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armydreamers View Post
I totally agree with you that nursing would be a great career. Too bad that don't have online schooling for that! Haha. The schedule is crazy for a mom. I know it's only 2 years, but I would literally need to hire a nanny. :/ I wish I would have studied nursing way back when i was younger.

I also agree with you about not having the time to do a long internship and starting low and moving up slowly. That's why I've been doing research before jumping in. I want to make sure I do something that will allow me to get a job ASAP.

The other thought I had was special ed teacher. I do have experience in that area that could help me land a job. I don't necessarily want my own class, but I would like to be a resource teacher or something of that nature. They start at $44k. Not great but not terrible and it would probably be a good mom job.
I don't really know if you're serious or if you're one of the many posters who post here with either partially or full on fictional situations.

But if you are going to be divorced, then you need to work something out with your husband to get through the transition. You cannot be expected to just go from zero income and zero work experience to providing for a family of 4 overnight. That just doesn't happen.

Never rely on somebody else for your well being and certainly never count on love to put food on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Many on your list still require a 4 year degree. Speech Language and occupational therapist require more than 4 years. You have to apply to very competitive graduate programs.
Accountant is at least a four year unless your thinking of something like bookkeeper at a small firm.
Ah poop. I guess I can't know everything

Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I did what you are trying to do at about the same age, but I wasn't thinking "career", I really just wanted to do something for myself. My advice is to start out by taking a class at your local CC. Make sure your English and Math placements are done and take a few of those classes, it won't be a waste since you will need them for anything you later do. Get some career counseling if the school offers it. Just get your feet wet, don't let yourself feel overwhelmed. You don't need to know exactly what you want to do before you walk in the door. The biggest hurdle is walking in the door!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
As for the nursing and most of the other medical fields, depends on the age of your kids.

Most nurses start on night shift-kids will be alone all night. Are they old enough? Finding someone to care for them those hours will not be cheap, maybe not even possible.

If you take a 2nd shift job, you'll never see them awake. And you will be working weekends and holidays.

That's pretty much true of most of the medical profession. Those with seniority get more conventional work schedules but that takes a while. as in years.

If you're drawn to the field of medicine, you might try IT with some kind of minor in medicine. Hospitals use lots of computers.

Another field I don't think anyone has mentioned is BioMed technology. There's other names for it but basically involves maintaining, fixing, and doing quality control on a lot of electrical gadgets. Schools for this are few and far between but as a woman you may be able to a lot of financial aid. You could be employed by a hospital, or one of the companies that make and sell the instruments.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 AM

8 posts, read 9,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I did what you are trying to do at about the same age, but I wasn't thinking "career", I really just wanted to do something for myself. My advice is to start out by taking a class at your local CC. Make sure your English and Math placements are done and take a few of those classes, it won't be a waste since you will need them for anything you later do. Get some career counseling if the school offers it. Just get your feet wet, don't let yourself feel overwhelmed. You don't need to know exactly what you want to do before you walk in the door. The biggest hurdle is walking in the door!
Thank you. Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I'm taking English right now. Took psychology last semester. I really want to do an accelerated program, though, otherwise it's going to take me forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
As for the nursing and most of the other medical fields, depends on the age of your kids.

Most nurses start on night shift-kids will be alone all night. Are they old enough? Finding someone to care for them those hours will not be cheap, maybe not even possible.

If you take a 2nd shift job, you'll never see them awake. And you will be working weekends and holidays.

That's pretty much true of most of the medical profession. Those with seniority get more conventional work schedules but that takes a while. as in years.
Yeah, that's another thing that sucks about nursing. My youngest child is less than two.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I would seriously go see your college's career counselor before you commit. Let him/her help you discover what turns you on the most. If anything is true in this world, it's that your passion for a subject will fuel your academic performance which, in turn, will open new vistas for you.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:59 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I didn't read all the responses so this may be a repeat.

I would recommend you talk to someone in the "Career Planning" (or something to that effect) at your school.

Secondly, you have to develop a plan for yourself. What are your interests? What do you enjoy doing? Where are your strengths? Weaknesses? Determining this information will help you pinpoint jobs that may be suitable for you and your aptitude.

After that, you want to develop a plan of what careers/fields are growing and available in your area. To start, you can register on the various major job boards and get email updates of any fields of interest (or all of them). This will give you an idea of what current employers are looking for in their candidates. Knowing that will help you pinpoint a direction in elective courses.

Don't forget to sign up for any employment assistance seminars being offered through your local library and other community organizations (ie. sometimes churches have them). Talk to others to let them know you are planning to go back in the workplace and listen to what you learn. Sometimes, people we know are a good source for learning about various companies and fields.

Don't discount the value of signing up with a temp agency. You probably have some office skills that can be utilized while you are going back to school. Volunteering in the community is also a valuable way to get involved and get your name out there for when employers in that field are looking for candidates. voluntermatch.org - vol unter match Resources and Information. is a good source for volunteer opportunities.

Finally, but most importantly, remember that you determine your path and the choices you make are for your future (and your children's futures). Believe in your ability to accomplish any goals you set for yourself and hold steadfast to those dreams.

All the best to you!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I didn't read all the responses so this may be a repeat.

I would recommend you talk to someone in the "Career Planning" (or something to that effect) at your school.

Secondly, you have to develop a plan for yourself. What are your interests? What do you enjoy doing? Where are your strengths? Weaknesses? Determining this information will help you pinpoint jobs that may be suitable for you and your aptitude.

After that, you want to develop a plan of what careers/fields are growing and available in your area. To start, you can register on the various major job boards and get email updates of any fields of interest (or all of them). This will give you an idea of what current employers are looking for in their candidates. Knowing that will help you pinpoint a direction in elective courses.

Don't forget to sign up for any employment assistance seminars being offered through your local library and other community organizations (ie. sometimes churches have them). Talk to others to let them know you are planning to go back in the workplace and listen to what you learn. Sometimes, people we know are a good source for learning about various companies and fields.

Don't discount the value of signing up with a temp agency. You probably have some office skills that can be utilized while you are going back to school. Volunteering in the community is also a valuable way to get involved and get your name out there for when employers in that field are looking for candidates. voluntermatch.org - vol unter match Resources and Information. is a good source for volunteer opportunities.

Finally, but most importantly, remember that you determine your path and the choices you make are for your future (and your children's futures). Believe in your ability to accomplish any goals you set for yourself and hold steadfast to those dreams.

All the best to you!
I said the same thing, but this guy said it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities