Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 9,794 times

Advertisements

Help! I have been a stay at home mom for quite a while. The only college education I have is my preschool teaching permit and a few general education courses. The main work experience I have is a couple of years of teaching preschool and a couple of years working in the local school district as a special ed para.

Looking back I really regret not getting a degree and establishing a career when I was younger because i am now facing the possibility of being a single mom of three in a high cost of living area. Teaching preschool now isn't a viable option because it will not support us.

So, getting to my point. I am going back to college. Currently I am taking general ed classes online through my community college. (English, psych, etc) I never got even a AA degree so I am really starting from scratch. I need a plan and I have NO idea at this point what I want to do. I had considered teaching (made sense because that's what my background is), but I don't have a passion for it, plus it pays crap and I need to support myself and kids. Thought about nursing but I seriously do not feel that I can handle nursing school at this point.

Very seriously considering one of the programs at WGU, but no clue which one would be best for my situation. Accounting?

I'm in CA. Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 01:51 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Two things, although I know it's not what you want to hear.

1. First, if your only reason for college is vocational, maybe you shouldn't start anything until you decide what to do.

2. Second, I was recently told that WGU is essentially worthless. In fact, anything online will likely be "less."

By the way, keep in mind that I believe that if you're already working in a field, and then you start going to school, the school costs are deductible.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Hmm...I've heard that WGU is well respected. It's regionally accredited. Regardless, a school like WGU is my only option so I figure it's better than no degree. And I would be able to complete a degree much faster that way, rather than going to a B&M school and taking one class at a time.

So, at this point it's really a matter of figuring out which degree would get me the most bang for my buck.

Edited to add: I can get an AA in accounting through the local community college online. Maybe it would be best to start there? I just don't know for sure if accounting is the way to go. Because even with the degree, I still have no experience. :/

Old 03-29-2014, 02:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,525 times
Health field is often the best bet to land a job for sure after. Doing something like an RN, you could start working immediately upon earning your ADN and passing boards, then get your BSN online while working as an RN.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:14 PM

Unfortunately nursing isn't an option for me right now. I would like to pursue it in the future though, possibly.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:33 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
If you are interested in the health field, then why not start with one of the health certificates that community colleges offer? I mean things like physician's assistant, physical therapy assistant, CNA, and others. See what is offered and what it pays.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
If you are interested in the health field, then why not start with one of the health certificates that community colleges offer? I mean things like physician's assistant, physical therapy assistant, CNA, and others. See what is offered and what it pays.
The "allied" health fields may be great. Or the tech jobs, like radiology tech, ultrasound tech... etc. I know here in Arizona radiology techs can get around 50k, so that salary will be much higher in the Bay. I believe that it takes two years to complete for radiology and that it is competitive to get into, so I would look at it in depth.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:56 PM

Yes, I have looked into sonography and radiology. I would really love to be a sonographer, but unfortunately the only school that is even remotely close to my area is still pretty far and is highly competitive. I would love to do that, though. Rad tech on the other hand, there are some local programs, but are there jobs? And is it a safe job, being expose to radiation? (might be a dumb question)

Old 03-29-2014, 04:18 PM

412 posts, read 684,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
This ^
But you would have to get four year degree and then get into a physician's assistant program. Starting at a CC would at least get your feet wet in that field but you may not make that much starting out. CNAs are always in demand but don't get paid much.
You probably want to do some research on what you want and can do as a career before committing to a four year school.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:21 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Computer stuff
science
engineering
not IT
learn to write great code

Engineering
any flavor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities