Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would say if they live in a state that does not require them to declare their major in freshman year then go get that 2 year degrees and get the General Ed out of the way.
Portland State University offers 'guarantee' students can graduate in 4 years, with caveats | OregonLive.com
**About half of PSU graduates transfer in midway through their college years after earning about half their credits at Portland Community College or other community colleges. Those students won't be eligible for the four-year guarantee.**

As much as you don't want to believe this, your CC credits don't always transfer to something you can put towards specific graduation requirements. They're mostly "elective". Now that's not to say some of these CC transfers can't do it, just that the university won't guarantee it in their cases. That is probably true at UT as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Portland State University offers 'guarantee' students can graduate in 4 years, with caveats | OregonLive.com
**About half of PSU graduates transfer in midway through their college years after earning about half their credits at Portland Community College or other community colleges. Those students won't be eligible for the four-year guarantee.**

As much as you don't want to believe this, your CC credits don't always transfer to something you can put towards specific graduation requirements. They're mostly "elective". Now that's not to say some of these CC transfers can't do it, just that the university won't guarantee it in their cases. That is probably true at UT as well.
wait a second....you are the one that is always telling everyone how wonderful the CC transfer program is???

I have never seen a school that requires freshmen to declare a major--most are late sophomore year or even junior year.....

Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
wait a second....you are the one that is always telling everyone how wonderful the CC transfer program is???

I have never seen a school that requires freshmen to declare a major--most are late sophomore year or even junior year.....
I have long said the coursework will transfer if you follow the rules. I don't know if we've ever talked about what the receiving college does with the credits. You will get the credit, but in some courses it may only apply as an elective. That is the same as when you transfer from a four year college.

Most schools require that the major be selected by the end of the sophomore year. If you want the guaranteed graduation in 4 years, you must choose earlier. That came straight from the CU catalog.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

In Texas 42 out of 60 core curriculum credits are transferable to a 4 year university if that is the program you are in.
Most CC's in Texas have articulation agreements with various universities.
Knowing that I could easily go for 2-3 semesters without knowing what I want besides "a 4 year degree".

Articulation Agreements

Texas A&M requires you to declare your major by the time you reach 60 credits.
UT lets you go 4 full time semesters before you need to declare your major.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 PM

151 posts, read 424,382 times
Quote:
In Texas 42 out of 60 core curriculum credits are transferable to a 4 year university if that is the program you are in.
Knowing that I could easily go for 2-3 semesters without knowing what I want besides "a 4 year degree".

Articulation Agreements

What you guys are arguing about doesn't even matter. There's an even more fundamental issue. If you don't know what you want to do, who says that you will find something you want to do in college? I bet a large portion of students never do and end up just having to pick something and go with it since they're already 2 years in.

What if one day they decide they want to be a welder, or electrician, or an AC repair technician, or just start they're own business? Then what? Quit with 2 years of wasted effort and tuition? Stick it out for 2 more years out of pride?

You guys just don't seem to be able to get it in your heads that there is actually an option of not going to college at all. You keep arguing as though everyone is definitely going to college, only leaving the question of "when". Not going to college gives you time to figure out that you may not want to go.

College is not for everyone.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Articulation Agreements

That's probably true at CU, too! I'm talking about the graduation in 4 years guarantee. How many times do I have to post this???

Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 PM

167 posts, read 330,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
kids go to college without knowing what they want to do (and lets be honest, who REALLY knows what they want to do at 18 years old?) because you have so many closed doors if you don't get the degree. Employers are getting ridiculous nowadays, they are requiring bachelors degrees for jobs that an above-average monkey could do.

I hope our next president focuses on the educational system in this country because it is right up there with marijuana being illegal so far as destroying our country is concerned. We incarcerate 800,000 otherwise law abiding people every year for smoking weed, which then gives them a criminal record and makes them un-hirable. Sort of similarly(but not really), we are forcing kids to go to college, most of whom will go severely into debt that they can't escape(since tuitions are rising at insane rates and have been for awhile now), only so that they can have a SHOT at getting a mediocre job that doesn't pay well enough to support themselves and pay off their debt, which ends up meaning these people won't amass nearly as much savings over the course of life. So were basically creating a nation of people in debt (which fits considering the country itself is in crazy debt) and/or with criminal records for enjoying a substance less dangerous/harmful then cigs and booze. This country would be so much better off if just these two things were sorted out.

Great post, I probably don't fall on the same side of the political spectrum as you (I'm on the right, you seem to be on the left), but I do agree with you on these 2 issues!

Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 AM

530 posts, read 667,240 times
Wavelength, that was precisely my point. You are so right. Why force a round peg into a square hole? It makes no sense but only very mature or directed kids realize this. Some know when they are very young that they are going into their family business. If they are happy with that choice and no one is forcing them to do so, all the better. They simply put in the required amount of time in school and go on to happy and productive lives.
Too bad for the rest who do not know what they want or do not want and therefore go to school for no good reason save societal and peer pressure. Lots of them also flounder in social life decisions as well but that's a topic for another thread.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
and it could just be she really didn't have the dream she thought she did and the D in chem was an easy out....
More like - Dream big at first, but then cut and run when the going gets tough.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
More like - Dream big at first, but then cut and run when the going gets tough.
I'm with golfgal here. Over half of the first year science majors I advise say that they want to be a medical doctor. Their opinions of medicine are based on TV and their parents' pressure. When they realize the scope of material they need to learn just to get into medical school, the herd is thinned dramatically. We often joke that pre-med is the upper middle class version of the 'undecided' major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities