Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM

841 posts, read 4,840,288 times

Advertisements

Watch the very good documentary, "College, Inc.". It shows the ruthlessness of for-profit colleges, as well as the pros for certain segments of people (moms returning to college who need a flexible schedule, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I knew someone who worked for the State of Texas. The state paid her tuition to get a degree from University of Phoenix, so.....at least Texas recognizes them. She plans to go on working with the State, so the BA she earned will go with her, of course. I don't know how it would be viewed if she wanted to work with another employer....guess it just all depends on what you want the degree for. If you just want a degree for job advancement and promotion, that's one thing. If you're looking for a degree for the recognition, connections, etc.....well, there's another scenario.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM

66 posts, read 149,500 times
Please please dont attend the University of Phoenix. I graduated with my Bachelor in Information Technology from there in 2012. Not even my own employer I have been with for 8 years would promote me to the IT department (currently working in Customer Service) even after them saying they would as soon as they had a need for an additional person. They do use me occasionally for IT things when they are short handed, but thats about it.

MAYBE some degrees from there you have more success in finding a job. I was working 2 jobs when I enrolled. So I thought it was perfect. I thought I was going to better myself and be able to make more money. Wrong. Wrong. Instead I am left with that embarrassing mark on my resume (which I am probably just going to remove) 70k in student loan debt, and not once call back from the many resumes I have sent out over the years. Still stuck in my dead end customer service position, but at least I have a job.

I wish someone would have warned me, instead a friend encouraged me to join as she had been blinded by the same bull they rattled off to everyone. She got a degree in Marketing, and to my knowledge still has not gotten a Marketing job.

I have heard that unless you are applying for a job with one of their partners, well good luck.

This is just my personal experience, like I said maybe a different type of degree will yield more success. However, I have read and spoken with Managers and HR people over the years and it seems like UoP gives resumes an instant stamp of rejection more often than not.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Is a degree from the University of Phoenix a legit degree that holds up against any other university? I've heard that employers don't like University of Phoenix on resumes, but I have also heard that it is a good university for people who work and have kids.

I'm a teacher. 4 years ago I had a student teacher who was in a not so unusual situation. He had been employed in our district for about 10 years but had never been licensed (he started out teaching with just his BA for a few years, no teaching license, and then moved around the district from school to school working in various full-time non-licensed positions). Well eventually he made the decision to get licensed but had never student taught before so he enrolled in a Univ of Phoenix masters program that would grant him his masters in education upon completion so long as he completed the course work and student taught. Completed coursework, finished student teaching for me and received his masters from U of P. Huge benefit for him before now he was no longer at the mercy of having to only take on non-licensed jobs in the district and finally get back into the classroom full-time.

So for him U of P worked out just fine.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM

The thing with University of Phoenix these is you can look at even some of the public ivy type schools and find plenty of cost effective, reputable fully online masters programs. U of P no longer has a strangle hold over the online degree scenario.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 PM

Is the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill a scam? Their accreditation is being question due to the the "paper classes" debacle.

UNC placed on probation by accreditation agency | USA TODAY College

University of Phoenix looking pretty good now compared to UNC.....a reputable institution...cough cough.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I'm a teacher. 4 years ago I had a student teacher who was in a not so unusual situation. He had been employed in our district for about 10 years but had never been licensed (he started out teaching with just his BA for a few years, no teaching license, and then moved around the district from school to school working in various full-time non-licensed positions). Well eventually he made the decision to get licensed but had never student taught before so he enrolled in a Univ of Phoenix masters program that would grant him his masters in education upon completion so long as he completed the course work and student taught. Completed coursework, finished student teaching for me and received his masters from U of P. Huge benefit for him before now he was no longer at the mercy of having to only take on non-licensed jobs in the district and finally get back into the classroom full-time.

So for him U of P worked out just fine.

But did he actually learn anything? The fact that a school system would accept this says more about the school system than UoP.

Here's a thought. Which schools advertise on TV? Which schools constantly have people asking if it's a scam? Which schools don't have to advertise on TV? Which schools don't have people asking if it's a scam? If by this point the answer isn't obvious, then by all means rush down to UoP and sign up, full price. Just don't take out taxpayer backed loans to do it.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I hope we are not seriously comparing U of Phoenix to UNC.

How about you compare 100 U of Phoenix students to 100 random students from UNC and look at employment, salary, future earning potential.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
But did he actually learn anything? The fact that a school system would accept this says more about the school system than UoP.

Here's a thought. Which schools advertise on TV? Which schools constantly have people asking if it's a scam? Which schools don't have to advertise on TV? Which schools don't have people asking if it's a scam? If by this point the answer isn't obvious, then by all means rush down to UoP and sign up, full price. Just don't take out taxpayer backed loans to do it.

Did he learn anything? Depends on how you look at it. He student taught for me in the fall of 2011. At that point he had already been a full-time employee in the district since 2001 maybe? He had spent time as a classroom teacher, career coach, jobs coach, etc.... He certainly had enough experience in high schools to give him a solid foundation for whatever curriculum there was in the program. Obviously the intention was to simply be able to student teach so he could finally be legitimate as far as licensing is concerned.

This was in South Carolina. Funny thing was as soon as he did his student teaching, got his license he left for Indiana. So not only was SC willing to recognize U of P but so too is Indiana apparently.

I don't have a dog in the fight just thought I share ONE story where using U of P worked out for someone due my relationship to a particular situation involving the school.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I hope we are not seriously comparing U of Phoenix to UNC.

How about you compare 100 U of Phoenix students to 100 random students from UNC and look at employment, salary, future earning potential.

If UNC fouls up once more in the next 24 months then their accreditation will be taken away by SACS. At that point graduates of U of P will have a degree from an accredited institution and graduates of UNC Chap will not. That part is pretty cut and dry.

Not trying to compare the quality of student. Pointing out that some of our high ranking public ivies can and have at times been known to not be as quality in the education they are providing.

Trying to play devils advocate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities