Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,291 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I hope I could get some guidance on a new career path. I'm very dissatisfied with my current career path (Automation and Controls) and would like to get into a new one. I'd like an entry level computer programming position but have no work experience in it. I went to college for electrical engineering and took 3 computer programming courses - 2 in C++ and one in Visual Basic. I acquired other skills in things like assembly and other electrical engineering specific programming tools also. I was pretty good at those courses and any programming you put in front of me. Note, this was several years ago so I'm not as proficient in them any more. I graduated 3 years ago.

Without going back to college or spending a lot of money at a trade school, how can I break way into the industry and get a decent entry level job considering my inexperience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
I would think that you can't...

Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would think that you can't...
Why? What's the most effective (or time saving) course of action I could take to get the skills otherwise without going for a 4 yr degree.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
You have no degree, no experience and rusty skills.
You will be competing with people who have BS degrees, internships and up-to-date skills.

You don't see how that is a problem for you?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You have no degree, no experience and rusty skills.
You will be competing with people who have BS degrees, internships and up-to-date skills.

You don't see how that is a problem for you?
Yes, I do. That's why I'm here asking this question lol.

It's not as far-fetched as it sounds however. Besides my degree, I was unqualified for my latest engineering position also. I was given the chance to learn the skills on the job to break into automation. I didn't see how computer programming was too different. I just need an opportunity to refresh my old skills and learn new ones.

I spoke with a career counselor and it was suggested a certificate program in computer languages would be a good idea. Some electrical engineers are hired for programming specific applications.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:11 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,762,037 times
C# is hot right now if you want to get into actual programming/developing.

If you want to go the IT or Systems Engineering route, get a Security+ and an Operating System cert (such as Windows 7).

Another route (and the one that I took) is try to get your foot in the door with an entry level testing position. You don't necessarily have to be able to code yet to test, and you can get to know the field while getting extra certs.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleejonez View Post
Without going back to college or spending a lot of money at a trade school, how can I break way into the industry and get a decent entry level job considering my inexperience?
I'm not sure what you mean by "decent" entry level job: at the levels you're talking about, if you can get hired, it's what I call "clone" and "advanced clone" work . . . very boring, low-paying work, and if you think the job you have now is boring, you haven't seen anything, yet!

You might also benefit from some additional career counseling. Business management majors and salespeople (esp. realtors) are more likely to ask what you did. They are more anxious to cut corners and jump in and get their hands dirty. These fields are not nearly as technical and lend themselves to shorter programs.

Perhaps look into selling automation and control products/services instead of what you're doing now?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
The easiest way to break into the IT field is to work in technical support. These jobs tend to pay $10-15 an hour with a little more in high COL areas. Some of these jobs will require COMPTIA A+ certification for which you can study on your own. While you're gaining this experience, you can start studying programming languages on your own. Two of the popular, free websites are Code Academy and W3 Schools. You could start creating your own programs or volunteering on open source projects to build your portfolio. However, you will be competing against people without degrees but a lot of experience who entered the field decades ago when a degree wasn't important and fresh computer science graduates.

Larger cities are starting to see companies start up coding academies. These academies are expensive, but provide in-demand training in a few months. They often have relationships with companies looking for skills that are in low supply. One company I know of, Rackspace, sometimes hires the graduates from its own academy.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM

388 posts, read 536,304 times
Without any degree, directly breaking into a Software development is extremely difficult.

The best way is to look into a position at a software company in a QA or support role. Then while there, you can nudge your way into more a development role. And this probably won't happen until you are a few years in.

Most development positions being advertised as for at least some degree, and usually in a computer/math/engineering field. The one's that don't, require many years of actual work experience.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
I am confused by these replies. It really makes me wonder if people here are actually in the Computer Science /Engineering field at all.

OP do you have an Electrical Engineering Degree?

If so, it should be very simple to get into a programming career. I have an Aerospace Engineering degree and was able to transition very easily into Software Engineering. Albeit this was in the 90's when there was a major shortage of programmers. However, I still think many employers believe that an actual Engineering discipline degree is of HIGHER value than a Computer Science degree. .

I would recommend that you look to an Engineering type company like EMC, Oracle, Intel, Lockheed, Boeing or Honeywell. Somewhere that is doing hard Engineering, most likely they will have Software Engineer jobs too. Look at the description and gain proficiency in those skills by reading books. Post for the jobs...maybe work for a smaller company first. You could go get a Java or C# certification also.

For an entry level programmer job you will be able to compete with an EE degree... I have total confidence in this!

Last edited by Mach50; 08-19-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities