Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times

Advertisements

Okay, maybe none of you have said this, but I hear this all the time. I have said many times before that criminal justice majors are the lowest scorers on the LSAT, but I came across some information today that shows they have the lowest admissions rate to law school too. The information is over a decade old, but considering that criminal justice majors were still the lowest scorers on the LSAT in 2013 (and pretty much all of the years before that), I think it's safe to say they still have some of the lowest admissions rates.
http://www.mapla.org/uploads/MAPLA_B...pring_2001.pdf
Sorting law school matriculants by major, LSAT, & UGPA
http://www.potsdam.edu/academics/AAS...-of-Majors.pdf
http://hpplc.indiana.edu/pdf/law/Sel...w%20School.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 04:17 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,973 times
economics is one of the highest? how easy is the lsat? economics is a joke (dual computer science and economics major).

Old 10-27-2014, 06:44 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
I've never heard anyone say that CJ is a good path to law school.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Several of my former students decided to study criminal justice because they wanted to become lawyers, I was looking at one of the law enforcement forums and someone said that it was a good subject to study for law school, and I've heard many other people over the years say that it was a good undergraduate major for law school. Criminal justice majors are the fifth most likely to apply to law school.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:18 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Several of my former students decided to study criminal justice because they wanted to become lawyers, I was looking at one of the law enforcement forums and someone said that it was a good subject to study for law school, and I've heard many other people over the years say that it was a good undergraduate major for law school. Criminal justice majors are the fifth most likely to apply to law school.
English would be a far better major for law school. Not Criminal Justice.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Quote:
Departments struggling for enrollment will say anything to get students to sign up for classes. My history department at my college would tell undergrads that history was a great major for pre-law, business, and foreign diplomacy. The problem with criminal justice is it is a major that has always struggled for legitimacy in academia. It has straddled the line of a professional trade school and social science and generally provides a career path to a career in law enforcement or private security, which are essentially middle class jobs where a degree is not always required and a criminal justice degree is certainly not required. The major attracts a lot of poorer students that see law enforcement or private security as an attractive field, while more middle class students interested in those fields major in something with more upside and know they can still get into those fields. So those poorer students, when they take the LSAT do poorly and admission into good law schools is difficult.

Honestly, any major where you do a lot of critical thinking and analysis, learn how to communicate your analysis effectively, and develop a strong work ethic, will lead you to success in law school.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:50 AM

653 posts, read 817,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
University advisers say that CJ is a good path to law school. At least mine did

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM

186 posts, read 349,527 times
Well my understanding for law school is that any writing intensive major is good choice for law school. I have read that CJ majors have lowest overall LSAT scores. Criminal is only half of law. People forget that about the civil side of law, which is where, IMHO, the money is made.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
I've never heard this. The lawyers I know majored in Poli Sci or Linguistics prior to law school. Women tend toward Linguistics, men take Poli Sci as Pre-Law, in my observation. Though there are other options as well. I've never heard anyone recommend Criminal Justice as pre-Law, though, or met anyone who did it.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Departments struggling for enrollment will say anything to get students to sign up for classes. My history department at my college would tell undergrads that history was a great major for pre-law, business, and foreign diplomacy. The problem with criminal justice is it is a major that has always struggled for legitimacy in academia. It has straddled the line of a professional trade school and social science and generally provides a career path to a career in law enforcement or private security, which are essentially middle class jobs where a degree is not always required and a criminal justice degree is certainly not required. The major attracts a lot of poorer students that see law enforcement or private security as an attractive field, while more middle class students interested in those fields major in something with more upside and know they can still get into those fields. So those poorer students, when they take the LSAT do poorly and admission into good law schools is difficult.

Honestly, any major where you do a lot of critical thinking and analysis, learn how to communicate your analysis effectively, and develop a strong work ethic, will lead you to success in law school.
Some of it probably has to do with self-selection rather than the major itself. Overall, there are probably just poorer students enrolling in criminal justice programs. Physics and economics will tend to get high-performing students who will, in turn, perform well on the LSAT and other graduate admissions exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I've never heard this. The lawyers I know majored in Poli Sci or Linguistics prior to law school. Women tend toward Linguistics, men take Poli Sci as Pre-Law, in my observation. Though there are other options as well. I've never heard anyone recommend Criminal Justice as pre-Law, though, or met anyone who did it.
You probably don't see many lawyers with criminal justice degrees because hardly any of them get into law school in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities