Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:18 PM

366 posts, read 731,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am working on my bachelors in paralegal studies and everybody asks me if I wanna to go law school then.

It kinda makes sense since I am learning about the law, researching, procedures, interpret opinions, etc. etc.
Paralegalism is its own animal. Yes you learn about the law and research, etc. but it is its own academic program. As you probably know you can go as far as a masters in paralegalism. But it'll primarily train you as support personnel for a law firm and also for in-house corporate attorneys legal assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:12 PM

186 posts, read 349,527 times
Quote:
I am working on my bachelors in paralegal studies and everybody asks me if I wanna to go law school then.

It kinda makes sense since I am learning about the law, researching, procedures, interpret opinions, etc. etc.
I have a paralegal degree. Only classes where we did the socratic method, the main teaching style of law schools, were legal research/writing, constitutional law, and tort law. All other classes were regular classes where the teacher would lecture.

You should know in the paralegal education we learn the practical side of law. We learned many useful data entry methods like how to fill out a HUD-4 form, metes and bounds legal description, Child support worksheet, and final orders. My profs said when they were in law school, some as little as 15 years ago said that they only learned the theory of law not how to put some of their thoughts on paper these were things they learned on the job from paralegals.

Good luck in your paralegal degree and paralegal career goals.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:27 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
economics is one of the highest? how easy is the lsat? economics is a joke (dual computer science and economics major).
According to ETS (the people who write the GRE), Economics majors score the second highest on the GRE. The major that scores the highest, Political Science.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I go to a school that is 60 on the us news ranking. low, but not that low. Let's say the top 20 schools don't have well defined engineering and business schools and top 25 LAC.

How many elite school college graduates are there taking the LSAT that it sways the data so much?

I've taken 2 econometric classes which is the the pinnacle of the "statistical analysis" when it come to economics (one at the grad school level - the grad program is 55? or 50? in america according to us news rankings. low but not pathetically low.). pathetically easy and intuitive.
Honestly, you are basing that all econ majors are "dummies" when that just isn't true at most good schools. Big state schools don't have strong econ programs because they are support departments for the business schools and they don't attract a strong caliber of undergrad or master's students. The graduate school's reputation is based on the faculty output and the handful of PhD students, not the kids in the master's program who are basically taking those classes because they couldn't find a job. The PhD programs don't require a masters. Those classes they teach are to pay their bills, but their research is what they are really interested in.

Your experience might be what it is like a Big State U, but Harvard, Northwestern, liberal arts schools, regional universities, etc., the econ departments aren't like that. This is way off topic, but seriously, economists are some of the smartest people you will ever meet in business and to call ALL econ majors dummies just reflects poorly on you and your ignorance.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
According to ETS (the people who write the GRE), Economics majors score the second highest on the GRE. The major that scores the highest, Political Science.
One of the reasons why Poli Sci majors score so high on the GRE is because at many colleges Poli Sci is a brutal weed out major and transfers are common. A lot of undecided major types will pick poli Sci, not realizing what it is and what careers are available, and they don't put a lot of effort into the classes and eventually pick a different major. By the time Poli Sci majors graduate, they basically consist of what were the honor students their freshman year.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Please Stop Telling People that Criminal Justice is a Good Segue to Law School

My stepson finished law school several years ago.

His take: the students who did best tended to be English majors. Makes sense. Much of the legal profession involves reading for comprehension and writing for specific meaning.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Where did you see that? Philosophy kicks everyone's behind on the verbal and analytical writing sections. Philosphy majors also score higher than political science majors on the quantitative section. Religion and Theology beats political science on the verbal section and ties it on the quantitative and analytical writing sections.
https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table4.pdf

Old 10-31-2014, 01:32 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
Paralegalism is its own animal. Yes you learn about the law and research, etc. but it is its own academic program. As you probably know you can go as far as a masters in paralegalism. But it'll primarily train you as support personnel for a law firm and also for in-house corporate attorneys legal assistance.
Yeah, but there really is no point in getting a masters in paralegalism. I mean, a law firm will not pay me much more than a regular paralegal, right? So I will be an overpaid paralegal with a big degree.

I will probably get a masters in something else, since I am not inteding to go to law school

Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM

366 posts, read 731,002 times
Quote:
Yeah, but there really is no point in getting a masters in paralegalism. I mean, a law firm will not pay me much more than a regular paralegal, right? So I will be an overpaid paralegal with a big degree.

I will probably get a masters in something else, since I am not inteding to go to law school

In a roundabout way that was the message I was trying to send. Glad you took it the right way.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
In a roundabout way that was the message I was trying to send. Glad you took it the right way.
sorry, I am a foreigner

Law is my passion (worked in the legal field in Germany for 14 years) but I dont have the brains nor are my English skills good enough for being an attorney in the US.

So the bachelors in paralegal studies is the major I LIKE the most. I will probaly get a masters in HR. I want to stay in an office environment but dont like accounting (I just dont get it) nor the MBA (too much math).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities