Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:47 PM

687 posts, read 616,887 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine was turned down from two apartment complexes because he is a full-time student (even though he has a part time job and is looking with roommates who also have jobs). Has anyone experienced this before? It's new to me. And pretty terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 03:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I live in a college town where many owners of houses and duplexes refuse to rent to students. I came across an apartment complex that refuses to rent to undergraduates. They just want to keep their communities quiet. The students in this town tend to party a lot.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:26 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
It's new to me. And pretty terrible.
Not terrible.
Some people prefer quiet; college students are not known for that.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:29 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
A friend of mine was turned down from two apartment complexes because he is a full-time student (even though he has a part time job and is looking with roommates who also have jobs). Has anyone experienced this before? It's new to me. And pretty terrible.
Pretty common. I know kids that routinely refer to where they live as the college ghetto and college towns that have zoning for student housing.

Not only are college students known for their loud late hours, it's not uncommon for them to damage places. Of course, this isn't all students but it's the reputation. Houses are expensive to repair and to do it every year has to be expensive and aggravating. Contrast that with a working family that will stay in the same place for many years and not alienate the neighbors.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Is he looking in a traditional college town, one with lots of students living off campus? Places like that have many, many complexes that cater to students, he just has to keep searching. There will be plenty of openings at the end of the current semester. But, he may need a co-signer on the lease. Even after one of my kids graduated, but elected to work at the university before starting grad school, we had to co-sign for him.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
If I was a landlord, I would ban college students too.

They're pigs.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
College students are not a protected class, so landlords are free to discriminate against them. Besides the noise affecting other tenants, they may have been burned in the past with roommates flaking out on the rent when one or more dropped out and let the others unable to pay the full rent.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,973 times
That kind of happened to me for a single I was looking at off campus. If they don't want my parents money, someone else will.

It was overpriced for the area, and it's still empty. They probably are regretting turning me down. Their loss.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
We once lived in a high-rise (near a major university in a big city) that targeted grad students, medical residents and fellows, but absolutely would not accept undergrads. It was probably one of the most enjoyable places I've ever lived.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
That kind of happened to me for a single I was looking at off campus. If they don't want my parents money, someone else will.

It was overpriced for the area, and it's still empty. They probably are regretting turning me down. Their loss.
Please don't make any $$$ bets on that fact...esp with 'your parents money'! Exactly why people have those rules. NO guarantees your parents will pay, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities