Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
No you don't, since the Ivies practice need blind admissions. Do you know what that is?
Need blind doesn't mean they don't prefer to accept someone from a wealthy family. It's not too hard to figure out by zip code which families come from more well off areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
I will not deny that college you went to certainly plays some factor in the job hunt, the "brand", reputation alone can do amazing things. For instance if person A walks out of Yale with a Philosophy degree and person B walks out of "X state school" with a Philosophy degree, I have to imagine that the person A has a better shot at employment just because he graduated from Yale as opposed to person B who graduated from "X" state school. To be perhaps a bit humorous but to get my point across- if Yale offered a 4 year degree in the mythology of Star Wars and X state school offered the same degree- still I believe the graduate from Yale will have a better shot at getting employment simply because of the name recognition of Yale.

That being said I do think that choice of major (probably the most important) coupled with part time work, internships will do a lot more in securing you a job than just the name of school you went to.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I pulled it directly from their reportings. I believe that 93% of Yale job-seeking students have offers upon graduation and Penn State has 53% for the same criteria (I believe Penn State includes up to 3 months after graduation in their calculation).
Three months is hardly long for a job search. I know many students who don't even start to look for jobs until after graduation. I would bet there's no statistically significant difference at two years, maybe even sooner.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Three months is hardly long for a job search. I know many students who don't even start to look for jobs until after graduation. I would bet there's no statistically significant difference at two years, maybe even sooner.
I agree and most statistics I see post 6-months post-grad, not at graduation or even 3 months post graduation. I know we have encouraged our children to take the summer after graduation and travel and then worry about jobs or whatever. It's pretty much the last time in their lives that they will have that kind of freedom, and health, to do that. I highly doubt even Yale has that many kids with jobs at graduation.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Need blind doesn't mean they don't prefer to accept someone from a wealthy family. It's not too hard to figure out by zip code which families come from more well off areas....
Huh? Of course wealth indirectly helps students in the admissions game, because it is easier to be an exceptional student with exceptional accomplishments and test scores when you are high SES. Academic performance is strongly correlated to SES, so it makes sense that many fewer would come from poor or truly middle class backgrounds. But directly, wealth does not help someone gain admissions at need-blind universities. Applicants are chosen based on their merits, not their ability to pay tuition.

From the Harvard website, "Admission to Harvard is need-blind, meaning your financial need will not impede your chances of admission."

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works

Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Huh? Of course wealth indirectly helps students in the admissions game, because it is easier to be an exceptional student with exceptional accomplishments and test scores when you are high SES. Academic performance is strongly correlated to SES, so it makes sense that many fewer would come from poor or truly middle class backgrounds. But directly, wealth does not help someone gain admissions at need-blind universities. Applicants are chosen based on their merits, not their ability to pay tuition.

From the Harvard website, "Admission to Harvard is need-blind, meaning your financial need will not impede your chances of admission."

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works

we can argue this forever, but what they put into practice does not reflect a true need-blind admissions policy. If you have to equally qualified candidates--the kid from the wealthy zip code will gain admissions over the kids from the "projects"....it just is what it is and if you want to keep applying political correctness to a business, you won't understand the difference--between "impeding" and actually considering.....much in the same way that checking the URM box will help your admissions.

Then they require you to fill out the CSS and one of the questions is "how much can you afford to pay each year"....before admissions decisions....

Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
This is incorrect. I worked in the admissions office of my Ivy League college and a primary concern was having a balanced class. They did NOT want a class full of wealthy kids because they believe having a diverse student body directly contributes to academic and intellectual experience of attending that school. Diversity very broadly used in this context and includes not just race, ethnic origin or socioeconomic status but also a mix of public vs. private high school, geography (all things being equal, a kid from the midwest stands a better change than someone with the same stats who is just another kid from Long Island or Westchester or the Boston suburbs) and other factors. Obviously, kids from wealthy families get in, but it's incorrect to say that a school "prefers" to accept them. Way more than that goes into the decision.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This is incorrect. I worked in the admissions office of my Ivy League college and a primary concern was having a balanced class. They did NOT want a class full of wealthy kids because they believe having a diverse student body directly contributes to academic and intellectual experience of attending that school. Diversity very broadly used in this context and includes not just race, ethnic origin or socioeconomic status but also a mix of public vs. private high school, geography (all things being equal, a kid from the midwest stands a better change than someone with the same stats who is just another kid from Long Island or Westchester or the Boston suburbs) and other factors. Obviously, kids from wealthy families get in, but it's incorrect to say that a school "prefers" to accept them. Way more than that goes into the decision.
....and like I said, 2 equally qualified candidates...who is going to get in??

Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Quote:
....and like I said, 2 equally qualified candidates...who is going to get in??
More than likely, the kid from the projects (as you so eloquently stated)...the Ivy League schools and equivalents could fill their entire freshman class with upper-income, well-qualified students from the East Coast, but they want diversity of races, backgrounds, incomes, etc.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
More than likely, the kid from the projects (as you so eloquently stated)...the Ivy League schools and equivalents could fill their entire freshman class with upper-income, well-qualified students from the East Coast, but they want diversity of races, backgrounds, incomes, etc.
Exactly. You are talking about schools that accept about 10% of the students that apply. They are making a very deliberate choice to accept all different types of candidates, not just automatically preferring kids from wealthier families or wealthier zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities