Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Three months is hardly long for a job search. I know many students who don't even start to look for jobs until after graduation. I would bet there's no statistically significant difference at two years, maybe even sooner.
I don't understand why you don't think it's bad if it takes someone two years to find a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I agree and most statistics I see post 6-months post-grad, not at graduation or even 3 months post graduation. I know we have encouraged our children to take the summer after graduation and travel and then worry about jobs or whatever. It's pretty much the last time in their lives that they will have that kind of freedom, and health, to do that. I highly doubt even Yale has that many kids with jobs at graduation.
What are you guys talking about? Someone who chooses to travel or do something else is not a job-seeker.

Here's the definition since you didn't understand the term:

Job seeker | Define Job seeker at Dictionary.com

"a person who is actively looking for employment."

I highly doubt that a college graduate who is actively looking for employment is traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Need blind doesn't mean they don't prefer to accept someone from a wealthy family. It's not too hard to figure out by zip code which families come from more well off areas....
Even if they did know what zip code a family comes from... none of the good colleges care. They look at the student who is most likely to finish college at their university.

47% of Penn's students received financial aid with the average financial aid award being $44,000 per year. Of those that don't, many are on scholarship rides. That is the smallest representation of rich people in the history of the school.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Even if they did know what zip code a family comes from... none of the good colleges care. They look at the student who is most likely to finish college at their university.

47% of Penn's students received financial aid with the average financial aid award being $44,000 per year. Of those that don't, many are on scholarship rides. That is the smallest representation of rich people in the history of the school.
Not positive what the bolded part refers to. The Ives do not give out academic or athletic scholarships, just need-based financial aid.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't understand why you don't think it's bad if it takes someone two years to find a job?

What are you guys talking about? Someone who chooses to travel or do something else is not a job-seeker.

Here's the definition since you didn't understand the term:

Job seeker | Define Job seeker at Dictionary.com

"a person who is actively looking for employment."

I highly doubt that a college graduate who is actively looking for employment is traveling.
You twisted my words.

How do you know what a college graduate who is actively looking for employment is doing? You didn't even give a cite for your information, we just have to take on faith that your numbers are even right let alone anything else. We don't know how "actively seeking work" was defined in these elusive stats you won't cite.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This is incorrect. I worked in the admissions office of my Ivy League college and a primary concern was having a balanced class. They did NOT want a class full of wealthy kids because they believe having a diverse student body directly contributes to academic and intellectual experience of attending that school. Diversity very broadly used in this context and includes not just race, ethnic origin or socioeconomic status but also a mix of public vs. private high school, geography (all things being equal, a kid from the midwest stands a better change than someone with the same stats who is just another kid from Long Island or Westchester or the Boston suburbs) and other factors. Obviously, kids from wealthy families get in, but it's incorrect to say that a school "prefers" to accept them. Way more than that goes into the decision.

I second this. It is absolutely true. They WANT all kinds of kids.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
It depends on what career you're going into.

There is a Grand Canyon sized gap of opportunity between the lawyer who graduated from Harvard law and the guy who graduated from some 3rd tier school in the middle of nowhere

Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It depends on what career you're going into.

There is a Grand Canyon sized gap of opportunity between the lawyer who graduated from Harvard law and the guy who graduated from some 3rd tier school in the middle of nowhere
I will say, with the current job market, law might be the ONLY field where it matters---and then only what Law School you attended, not what undergrad you attend.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
and that industry is hitting the toilet...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,319,745 times
Editor

UVA dean backs use of 5 friends principle to select a school where to get an MBA

http://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/deansblog/

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 04-21-2015 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: add more information

Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 PM

95 posts, read 140,173 times
Sorry, but I wanted to resurrect this thread and give my .02 without reading the previous 8-9 pages.
Whoever stated the name doesn't matter is very naive. I am 45. I grew up in Illinois and I went to a "state" school because I didnt get much guidance from my father. Name DOES matter if you want to get a good paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities